Your Experience of Driving a sidescreen

Hi All,

As you know i am looking to purchase a Tr3 to join my six. :rolleyes:

However i have driven many different types of sports cars over the years but never a Tr3/ 3a or 2, and yet i want to

own one. In fact i have only been in one, and that was Phil Tuckers.

So question has to be , what are they really like to own, drive and live with?

Thanks Muchly

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy

I'm interested in your replies as I was at TR Trader not long ago with my '6 and he happened to have just got a long door TR2 in. I wasn't even looking for one - and had actually never really thought of owning one - but this just seemed to be right. I had a think about it and bought it within the week. It is still needing renovation, so I haven't driven it yet, but I can't wait.

Good luck with your search.

Worth waiting for the right one I think. It's not as if you haven't already got a nice car to be enjoying whilst you find your 'perfect car'.

Roger

I bought my 1958 TR3A brand new in May, 1958. I was twenty years old and paid cash with the money I had saved after I finished High School - working at Pratt & Whitney, first in Gauge Inspection, then on the board in Tool Design.

I have owned my TR for over 50 years and every time I drive "TRusty", I'm still 20 years old. The thrill never leaves you once you have become an addict. In the past 18 summers, since I completed my full body-off restoration, I have driven a bit more than 100,000 miles.

Hello Guy,

I have only done a couple of Thousand miles in my Slidescreener (pun intended) since completing the rebuild. You are at one with the elements.

Its lots of fun at sedate speeds.

Even better when the suns shining.

Lots of folk stare at it.

Roadholding when all is A1 with the suspension is just about adequate.

When R@P steering is fitted the steering is improved, so much so, that you tend to thrash the old girl a bit more than you would with the wormy one.

This I have found can really bite you in the arse, simply because the roadholding is poor, and it lets go even faster when you are pretending to emulate

the Hamiltons of this world. Its worse when the weather is dry for you can achieve quite strong G force cornering before it turns on you.

Losing it in the wet is far far easier, but speeds tend to be slower. This is more exciting, but you must learn to expect rear axle "let go" at an early

stage of your learning curve, before visiting your body repair centre.

Some say I couldnt drive a greasy stick up a dogs ar-e, and they may be right, but I look forward to driving it Always and wouldnt want to be without.

Really enjoyable driving a slidescreener BUT just take care.

Hi All,

However i have driven many different types of sports cars over the years but never a Tr3/ 3a or 2, and yet i want to

Thanks Muchly

Guy

I have owned my 3A for just over a year and have completed about 3000 pleasure miles. The first 1500 were interesting to say the least but you soon get used to it, the more you do the more you love it. It feels so natural now and every trip makes me smile probably just like Don. My car is very standard, dynamo, worm and peg etc. Everything works as it was built, thats what makes it so different from a modern car and that is exactly why I aquired it. Every one wants to talk to you about and its alway a pleasure, the strange thing is though how many people have owned one in the past ! If you enjoy tinkering there is always something to do but some how thats part of ownership and it doesn't seem a hardship. A bonus on my part is that even the wife likes a trip in it on a sunny day but mostly she just lets me get on with it,

Regards Dave

Love the car.

They are torquey and when properly set up quick.

Handling is actually pretty good but the rear end can get you especially as we're all on radials. I suspect if one used the bias ply's that originally came on the car there would be plenty of warning. You'll get the feel though.

Get an OD with the car if you can as the longer legs are nice.

They are mechanically strong and don't break easily.

To my mind it's really like pre war motoring more akin to the 30's-40's and that's why I love it. Great fun and a special car in it's own niche. Lots of character.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/DSC01220.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/DSC01202.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/p...isitCars044.jpg

Hi All,

Thanks Muchly

Guy

Dear Guy

I have owned my 3A for 24 years - it had been restored when I bought her and a few years later I bought a long door 2 (initially for the period whilst my 3A was having major accident repairs carried out) but I kept the 2 for over 10 years!

Both cars were taken on the continent many times - with my good friend Derrick driving the 2 whilst I drove the 3A - we must have done at least a dozen Le Mans in both cars.

My 3A has been on aeroscreens for most of the mileage - which is over 100,000 miles todate. The 2 did over 50,000 miles in my ownership and the cars have visted most of Europe. I even went to Switzerland for work in the 3A on aeroscreens for work and in 10 days it did not rain. The 2 now resides in Italy and after 7 years has still to break down!

Both of the cars have been extremely reliable with mostly dynamos being the thing that stops most often.

I get into the 3A and without thinking just drive off - it is strange that one does not even try to put on seatbelts that do not exist!

I have done at least a dozen of the Euromeetings in the cars and as one approaches Calais the car always seems to say lets do it again now.

You do get bum ache in the cars after a while but this seems to disappear as soon as you get out!

My partner thinks that it is very noisy with the hood up so that problem is sorted.

When you get your car you will have a lot of fun in it - I had a TR6 before the 3A.

Sorry for going on but the car is just great!!

John

Only ever driven TS2 for a few miles to the petrol station and back, went surprisingly well, till another car made my heart bounce through my chest, started pulling out of a side road and would have "T" boned us. The ride was rather go-karty low ride position, thought the steering and the brakes was rather good, alot of fun.

There is a 3b Californian car local with a racestorations engine, part of a fluid collection if your interested.

Mmmm, yes! I'm interested too. After 4 years of ownership I only drove 78 kms! From my garage to the Inspection Station where I got my licence plate, and back... It was midwinter 06 when I embarked on that epic journey. All I can remember is that the temperature was around 0 degrees Celsius...

Love the car.

They are torquey and when properly set up quick.

Handling is actually pretty good but the rear end can get you especially as we're all on radials. I suspect if one used the bias ply's that originally came on the car there would be plenty of warning. You'll get the feel though.

Get an OD with the car if you can as the longer legs are nice.

They are mechanically strong and don't break easily.

To my mind it's really like pre war motoring more akin to the 30's-40's and that's why I love it. Great fun and a special car in it's own niche. Lots of character.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/DSC01220.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/DSC01202.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/p...isitCars044.jpg

Not wanting to hijack this topic, but what's the story about that beautifully covered steering wheel on the first picture? It looks like the wheel of a blue ocean yacht!

Menno

Hi All,

Thanks Muchly

Guy

Dear Guy,

I would like to add my tuppence worth. In th e1960s I owned and drove a TR2, TR3A, Tr4 and TR6 in succession. For the record after many more non-Triumph cars I bought a TR7 in 1978 - it was the first Triumph that I bought brand new and had to get rid of it after three years as it kept conking out when it rained!

The biggest difference between any of these Triumphs was between the TR3A and the TR4. The TR3A felt 'dangerous' on the road and the TR4 felt 'rock solid'. When you think about it there is very little difference between these two models. The main differences being the width of the track and the fact that TR4 had rack and pinnion steering. I am convinced that the latter was the main reason that the TR4 was a pleasure to drive and the TR3A felt very old fashioned and slightly out of control.

Currently, a friend and I are renovating a 1959 TR3A and have already changed the steering to rack and pinion, we have fitted a fast road engine, an up-rated drive shaft and back axle, lowered suspension and up rated springs etc.

I am hoping that these alterations will make this particular TR3A a pleasure to drive in the future. Perhaps there are others out there who have compared the modernised TR3A with the older type and can confirm or deny my theory.

My advice to you would be to buy a car that has these up grades unless you want to own an completely original but wobbly Tr3A.

Regards,

MGT

I have had 2s,3s and 3As and there can be a world of difference between one and another but thats mostly down to how they are setup and tyre choice. I agree that R&P does make quite a difference but you do lose some of the turning circle, although a properly rebuilt steering box is equally as good apart from tight parking spaces ;) ***mph with hands off is always a good test (sorry officer mechanic on test) and all of mine were capable of that, none of them with R&P. You do capture the flavour of (as some one else put it) almost the pre-war feeling of motoring and these cars are very reliable once they have been sorted out. One of my customers has a 2 with all the upgrades including the 3 degree castor and that is an absolute pleasure to drive and he does a lot of miles with it as his only car!.

Stuart

Mmmm, yes! I'm interested too. After 4 years of ownership I only drove 78 kms! From my garage to the Inspection Station where I got my licence plate, and back... It was midwinter 06 when I embarked on that epic journey. All I can remember is that the temperature was around 0 degrees Celsius...

Not wanting to hijack this topic, but what's the story about that beautifully covered steering wheel on the first picture? It looks like the wheel of a blue ocean yacht!

Menno

Menno,

I figured the Brooklands screens needed a Brooklands wrap on the wheel. Simply cotton twine wrapped as they did 'in the old days'....it really gives an excellent purchase and feel, of course I did it because it looks cool imho...

Gee Wizz,

Thanks for ALL your replys.

I am looking forward to finding the right car, i have owned the six for fifteen years now, it was an impulse buy, during this time the car has seen quite a few changes and upgrades, and is a lot of fun. I would never change it

I am now confident that the three will be the same and i will have some fun.

This is what its all about

Thanks Again

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

I had a couple of TR2s in the 1960s. There are certain points that let them down:

1 - Early cars had long doors - make sure you get a short-door car

2 - Rear axle - seals fail regularly, so rear brakes never work for long and it costs money to fix - replace with TR3 "Girling" axle

3 - Brakes - fade can be terrifying, especially if you have to brake hard a second time - convert to disc front brakes (easily done)

4 - very weak shock absorber mounting brackets at rear (can and do break off!) - reinforce mountings as was done on TR3As

5 - Early cars had no scuttle vent, so cockpit air gets more and more moist when hood is up, turning car into a sauna!

6 - Early sidesceens have zip and no sliding panel (later type, with sliding window, is superior)

I would go for a disc-braked TR3/3A with 3.7 axle, 9" rear brakes, overdrive and heater. Hard top, soft-top, sidescreens with sliding windows and tonneau - then you have all-year round motoring.

Although I drove TR2s for 6 years without real protection, I would fit a roll-over bar and seatbelts nowadays.

I liked the ability to play tunes with the weather equipment: one sidescreen, both sidescreens, soft-top without sidescreens (if sun is very hot), soft-top with one sidescreen and so on. The way the door fitted my right arm on long-distance runs was a delight. So, too, was the low-speed torque - I could gradually accelerate from 800rpm in overdrive top whilst going up the slope to Wandsworth Common. Also, the economy - 30mpg (Imperial) in the days when one could (and did) cruise at 4200rpm (100mph in overdrive top).

They are great cars and are markedly different to the TR4, which I have had since 1969 and love, too.

Ian Cornish

There you go Guy what did I say?

You can't beat the sensation of a good sidescreen with aeroscreens fitted in the winter belting along - what's more, if you can get your wife to go with you she will get a free exfoliation! :lol:

BTW- that's not me driving - that's 'little Dave' - the LM 06 Chef!

Cheers

Andrew

96983992a12b812c34c7169b6df2d21f1d15dd89359cfae62167ef8dde3440008398cc2d.jpg88671051b3e8370b743eb1fd26582c6ac2d9e036cd5949c3fb54ad061fbeb6c77f754046.jpg

Edited by Andrew Smith

You can't beat the sensation of a good sidescreen with aeroscreens fitted in the winter belting along - what's more, if you can get your wife to go with you she will get a free exfoliation! :lol:

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

I totally agree about the Brooklands and the 3, in any weather...

Especially at night...rather Sopwith Camelish..you just need a gunsight. The heater on full makes a great finger warmer too.

Cheers

Andrew

[

Great,

So that sounds pretty cold to me. Real Tr Hairy chest stuff. :rolleyes:

A warm coat/jacket will be required, flying jacket type would seem to fit and keep the wind out.

Any recommendations of type and supplier??

Thanks Again.

Guy

I have a couple of flying jackets, neither ideal and given the chance and a very large wedge of cash, I'd get an Irvin RAF pattern flying jacket.

However, with the pair I have, I do at least have one for different climates - a US style leather one without collar and minimal lining for summer and a sheepskin one with large collar and very effective lambswool lining for winter. Only downside to the latter is that it's a suede finish rather than traditional leather and really needs to be reproofed every year or two to remain reasonably waterproof and clean.

I have seen a dealer at some of the larger classic car shows this year, including Ally Pally and Race Retro, who sells a lot of nice looking, used flying jackets of all types, materials and styles at surprisingly low prices. I may be tempted to add one of his to my wardrobe next year.

Its usually favorite to buy a second hand one as they have been nicely "run in" by then. New ones tend to be very stiff to start with and are very expensive! One thing to be careful of is the waist buckles (if fitted) as they can do a fair bit of damage to paintwork if left hanging loose :(

Stuart.