Windscreen frame rot

Hi All,

Thought i would repaint windscreen frame, <_<

So removed glass carefully no problem, slackened of the nuts holding frame in position, bit of penetration fluid left to soak in. Then with the aid of a few heavy taps out comes frame.

I had thought i had a problem occuring on the passenger side mount for quite a while. :blink:

And here iit is :o:(

DSC06437.jpg

Absolutely bl**dy Great :(

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Unfotunately thats pretty much what most of them go like although its a bit unusual to have the mounting tube part company with it. Its all repairable although it may be a bit of fun trying to remount the tube in the correct place. Dont forget measure it ten times and weld it once ;)

Stuart.

Unfotunately thats pretty much what most of them go like although its a bit unusual to have the mounting tube part company with it. Its all repairable although it may be a bit of fun trying to remount the tube in the correct place. Dont forget measure it ten times and weld it once ;)

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I probably helped it part company on its way out, although it was pretty well there anyway.

Well i cant weld so am stuffed with getting it done (overhere at vast expense) or getting one already sorted.

Will a Tr4 one fit ?

Cheers

Guy

Oh dear, bad luck. :o

It's getting its revenge for your thoughts about the dark side...

Glad mine wasn't like that.

How does the water get in there?

There's been a couple on eBay recently, or you might get one from TR Trader or the TR Shop.

Ivor

There's been a couple on eBay recently, or you might get one from TR Trader or the TR Shop.

Ivor

Ivor

You probably right, its more likely getting revenge fot the thought i had of exchanging her for a Sunbeam Tiger.

I reckon this is old rust from years back, it certainly hasnt leaked since i have had it, i knew it was on its way last year when i patched up a section where the window rubbers sticks.

It was my plan to remove it and sort it, but didnt expect it to be as bad. Looking at the piece thats come away it was only in intact on its circumference by about 5mm. I also didnt expect it to be a hollow tube. :unsure:

On the bright side i could always go one step further than Badfrog and do an Andrew Smith on it. Thats real open top motoring :lol::lol:

Cheers

Guy

The TR4 one will fit but needs alterating for your type of hood frame fixings. You need either a TR5/6 one or a MK3 Spitfire one. Beware of frames that are advertised as being perfect unless you get some pictures of the area that yours has gone and around the lower area where the screen rubber sits as thats another area to rot out. Most frames are as bad as yours and good ones these days are few and far between. Thats why i always repair what I have unless Im very lucky to find another one with less rot. Last really good one I saw was a Californian one that I got for one of our local members a couple of years ago from Walter Petchey but I paid top money for it!

Stuart.

Ivor

Ivor the water will get in under the top capping leading edge and often from rotting in under the lower corners of the windscreen rubber.

Stuart.

Ivor the water will get in under the top capping leading edge and often from rotting in under the lower corners of the windscreen rubber.

Stuart.

So some Captain Tolley would be a good idea... :rolleyes:

Ivor

Hi Guy

That's real bad luck.

I do have a near perfect TR4 frame newly sprayed in Guards Red!

However the top rail is different to a TR6 so you would have to change the hood top rail.

Let me know if you are interested.

Regards

John Weedon

Wow. I'm always amazed at how things like this happen on our cars.

I just wanted to chime in - you can use a windscreen frame from the 4, 4a ect without changing a thing. The difference between the different models is the aluminum cap that sits on top of the windscreen as mentioned, but the 4's will work with a TR6. The difference with the aluminum cap on the 4 is that it has a "lip" that extends out a small amount allowing mounting the soft top portion of the Surrey Top by giving it a foothold to grab on to (yes, there are not clips, snaps or otherwise that hold it in place....). The holes, mounts ect are the same. Should you end up with a 4 (or even a 4a/5/250 that has the surrey top mounting cap) you can always swap out the aluminum caps (a couple of rivets). Then you can sell the surrey cap.

I'm pretty sure that by the time the 4a came along, the surrey version of the aluminim cap was only mounted on cars leaving with a surrey, so any 4a cap will match what's on your six.

I'm looking for a windscreen frame as well. The TR5 I recently picked up - the prior owner had tried to take off the windscreen by unbolting the one bolt at the bottom of the windscreen (not any of the side bolts - i.e. the one that clamps onto the windscreen) and then trying to pry it off witha crowbar! I figured the lip on the bottom of the windscreen is bent up enough where its worth getting a new one. I've found that SHIPPING is the largest cost. I've looked at two or three on Ebay US (they sell for around $50), but shipping has been quoted at close to $100.

Hope all this helps - didn't mean to ramble on.

The TR4 one will fit but needs alterating for your type of hood frame fixings. You need either a TR5/6 one or a MK3 Spitfire one. Beware of frames that are advertised as being perfect unless you get some pictures of the area that yours has gone and around the lower area where the screen rubber sits as thats another area to rot out. Most frames are as bad as yours and good ones these days are few and far between. Thats why i always repair what I have unless Im very lucky to find another one with less rot. Last really good one I saw was a Californian one that I got for one of our local members a couple of years ago from Walter Petchey but I paid top money for it!

Stuart.

Stuart

I used a spitfire Mk3 frame a few years back on a restoration and found the sun visor mounting points different

Neil

Hi All,

Thank you all very much for your input, most helpful.

And thanks to John for your offer.

Marko has come up trumps, well done mate,with Stuarts advise. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Will post pictures in due course, meanwhile dash is all apart and over the place, taken the opputunity to

have a tidy up in this area.

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
Stuart

I used a spitfire Mk3 frame a few years back on a restoration and found the sun visor mounting points different

Neil

You cant have it allways, at least if its a good frame thats a slightly easier thing to sort than the likes of the rot that Guy has ;)

Stuart.

You cant have it allways, at least if its a good frame thats a slightly easier thing to sort than the likes of the rot that Guy has ;)

Stuart.

Agreed Stuart but there is still fabrication involved not so easy for some ;)

Neil

Agreed Stuart but there is still fabrication involved not so easy for some ;)

Neil

Hi Neil,

I have a plan for the sunvisors, not using the original type, they always gave me grief,

and therefore wont need to carry out modification, i hope :rolleyes:

UKTRI-088.jpg

I have seen these fitted to a Tr4, and they look much better than the picture above, all fittings are chrome.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

I quite like them as its still possible to see the road ahead although at 6ft4" I find any sunvisor superflous!

The only drawback with those Guy is they are a solid lump not like the original squashy ones and I wouldnt like to come into contact with one at speed.

Stuart.

I quite like them as its still possible to see the road ahead although at 6ft4" I find any sunvisor superflous!

The only drawback with those Guy is they are a solid lump not like the original squashy ones and I wouldnt like to come into contact with one at speed.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I havent had sunvisors on my motor for ages, have got used to it, massive sunglasses. :lol:

I have taken on board your comment about coming into contact., being under six foot its not a problem.

Cheers

GUY

Hi All,

Been considering fitting a new screen in the frame, as mine is covered in tiny chips.

Have looked at two main suppliers

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/rimmer/triumph...20&%20Frame

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/SearchRe...WebCatalogID=41

And there is a large difference in cost between them <_<

So which screens are better, does it follow that the more expensive is better? <_<

I know there were issues a while back on the shape and fit of screens, but would imagine thats past history <_<

I am after your recommendations please

Thanks Muchly

Guy

Hi All,

Been considering fitting a new screen in the frame, as mine is covered in tiny chips.

Have looked at two main suppliers

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/rimmer/triumph...20&%20Frame

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/SearchRe...WebCatalogID=41

And there is a large difference in cost between them <_<

So which screens are better, does it follow that the more expensive is better? <_<

I know there were issues a while back on the shape and fit of screens, but would imagine thats past history <_<

I am after your recommendations please

Thanks Muchly

Guy

GBP 76 vs 89.95 for the laminated clear glass if I'm reading that correctly. Seems in the ball park for the same item from two different suppliers, no ?.

Stan

GBP 76 vs 89.95 for the laminated clear glass if I'm reading that correctly. Seems in the ball park for the same item from two different suppliers, no ?.

Stan

Stan,

Silly me, i was comparing tinted against clear from different suppliers. :blink: too much "Old Thumper" :lol: or not enough :lol:

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Evening Guy.

It may well be worth asking your fair islands screen replacement company for a price for one,"fitted and supply only!"

You may be surprised "or not" by the price they can do one for!!

I know they may have to get one in,but they just order it in from their counterpart on the mainland with the regular top up stock,so it shouldn't be a special order job!!

I have a spare in my parts stock for me,but I deliver to auto windscreens in bristol,so will ask them for a price out of curiosity to see how they fare against the usual triumph parts suppliers!

Whether to go for toughened or laminated is a personal choice!!

Dave