post-5760-1204673749_thumb.jpghi everyone,

just bought a tr4 and am going to restore it never done a car before but ive bought the manuals and tools :rolleyes: so ill give it a go.ive allready bought loads of new parts and am now just waiting for my garage to go up before i can start stripping it down.ive decided to get a professional to sort out the body and paint but the rest i will attempt myself im pretty handy and i dont envisage too many problems :lol: .there are a lot of people out there with all sorts of different advice on how to do things but its my car and im determined to do it my way.just bought some sexy wires and im uprating the suspension plus all of the electrics in fact im going to uprate pretty much everything i can within reason :blink: wish me luck i think im going to need it.oh yes of course any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated :)

post-5760-1204673918_thumb.jpg

post-5760-1204673749_thumb.jpg

post-5760-1204673918_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevinmarks

Kevin

Congratulations on getting a TR4 and joining the Register.

I admire your spirit.The advice you will find on the Forum is there for the taking and given by a mixture of professionals ( who do it for a living ) and enthusiastic amateurs like myself ( a 12 year complete nut and bolt resto ).Both varieties are keen for you not to make mistakes or give suggestions that will save either time or money.

A wise man takes advice and then makes his own decision.

Good luck with your restoration and eventual enjoyment of the car.

Bob

Kevin

Congratulations on getting a TR4 and joining the Register.

I admire your spirit.The advice you will find on the Forum is there for the taking and given by a mixture of professionals ( who do it for a living ) and enthusiastic amateurs like myself ( a 12 year complete nut and bolt resto ).Both varieties are keen for you not to make mistakes or give suggestions that will save either time or money.

A wise man takes advice and then makes his own decision.

Good luck with your restoration and eventual enjoyment of the car.

Bob

thanks Bob

when i said all sorts trying to give advice i didnt mean people on the forum i meant every tom dick and harry ,of course anyone who would like to give me advice on the forum would be appreciated.like yourself im doing a nut and bolt resto and i will keep all posted on my progress as im going along so be prepared for endless questions such as how why if but etc etc

kevin :mellow:

As someone restoring an ex USA TR4, as cheaply as possible, welcome, and here is my tuppence worth.

I would suggest that you get Roger Williams book on restoring the TR4 ( advertised on the Register site ), and a catalogue from Moss as that will have exploded views of most things. A good read through the book will help you formulate a plan of action. It doesn't take many days to strip the car down to its component parts, but ages to put it back together again, and the memory fades. Get a digital camera and take loads and loads of photos of the various parts to help with the rebuild. Although the Moss catalogue, and others, show and give a price for most parts, there are many parts that are out of stock, and despite reassurances, will be for years- rear valance, three years still not re-made, for example. Lots of the repro stuff is rubbish as regards fit and durability, but at least there is a part, of sorts, to replace the worn out one. Save all your discarded bits until the end as you may need to re-use them. The fit of some body parts is bad and you may be better off repairing your originals. The price for the same item varies considerably from supplier to supplier, but some uprated parts are worth paying extra for. If yours is a LHD car, and you wish to change it, then start searching for a RHD metal dash backing as they are fairly hard to get.

Above all enjoy it, and I think that most problems have been seen on this forum, and overcome with the collective knowledge on here.

As someone restoring an ex USA TR4, as cheaply as possible, welcome, and here is my tuppence worth.

I would suggest that you get Roger Williams book on restoring the TR4 ( advertised on the Register site ), and a catalogue from Moss as that will have exploded views of most things. A good read through the book will help you formulate a plan of action. It doesn't take many days to strip the car down to its component parts, but ages to put it back together again, and the memory fades. Get a digital camera and take loads and loads of photos of the various parts to help with the rebuild. Although the Moss catalogue, and others, show and give a price for most parts, there are many parts that are out of stock, and despite reassurances, will be for years- rear valance, three years still not re-made, for example. Lots of the repro stuff is rubbish as regards fit and durability, but at least there is a part, of sorts, to replace the worn out one. Save all your discarded bits until the end as you may need to re-use them. The fit of some body parts is bad and you may be better off repairing your originals. The price for the same item varies considerably from supplier to supplier, but some uprated parts are worth paying extra for. If yours is a LHD car, and you wish to change it, then start searching for a RHD metal dash backing as they are fairly hard to get.

Above all enjoy it, and I think that most problems have been seen on this forum, and overcome with the collective knowledge on here.

thanks mate i allready have both the books and ive been reading etc for weeks now im definatley going to use the old panels and have them repaired as necessary.yes the price difference between dealers is incredible ive just bought some tail lights £69.50 each from TRshop £99.50 from Moss and Moss supply TRshop weird or what :o

Welcome Kevin and well done on your purchase!

I did exactly the same as you in 2002. I now have my car running and I'm in love with it!!!

The digital camera advice is spot on, photo EVERYTHING and bag/ label ALL parts; even if it's only to indicate which way round parts go.

Enjoy!

Any photos of the project?

Adey

Welcome Kevin and congratulations on your acquisition!

I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy (mostly!) the rebuild process - something I did to a US TR4 between 1990 and 1994...

As for the dash panel, and if LHD, I had mine very well converted (cut in five and handed) by what was Northern TR. I am sure if a RHD version is not available then if you are unable to do this yourself, there will be someone that can! I left all the body work to the 'professionals', but did most of the remaining bits myself using the Haynes manual! I had never rebuilt an engine before and learnt a good deal in the process. As other will vouch, the first turn of the key and hearing the engine start for that first time is magical - the 'Cheshire Cat' had nothing on me that day!!! Even if you are replacing the wiring harnes, and others had already stated, clearly label things!

Good luck and we all look forward to hearing/reading of your progress.

Best regards

hi everyone,

just bought a tr4 and am going to restore it

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the TR Register, the Forum and to TR4 ownership.

You will find lots of advice, encouragement and spare parts too on the Forum but

try to get along to your Local Group. You'll be made welcome, even if you're not

driving a TR.

How early/late is your TR4? What is the commission number? (to the nearest 1,000)

It may be tempting to put the wires on the car as the chassis is assembled, but I suggest

you don't. They look good but are a pain to keep clean. Use old wheels on the car as you

build it up and put the wires on at the end.

You mention suspension mods - restoring a car is never cheap and you need to have a

clear picture of what you are aiming for. It is easy to spend extra £sss on modifications

that may not be warranted for the car you want. The standard TR4 suspension works well

enough for most driving as long as it is properly rebuilt.

AlanR

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the TR Register, the Forum and to TR4 ownership.

You will find lots of advice, encouragement and spare parts too on the Forum but

try to get along to your Local Group. You'll be made welcome, even if you're not

driving a TR.

How early/late is your TR4? What is the commission number? (to the nearest 1,000)

It may be tempting to put the wires on the car as the chassis is assembled, but I suggest

you don't. They look good but are a pain to keep clean. Use old wheels on the car as you

build it up and put the wires on at the end.

You mention suspension mods - restoring a car is never cheap and you need to have a

clear picture of what you are aiming for. It is easy to spend extra £sss on modifications

that may not be warranted for the car you want. The standard TR4 suspension works well

enough for most driving as long as it is properly rebuilt.

AlanR

hi alan

with regards to commission number its CT33104 i totally agree with you concerning the wires they are going to sit in a box until D Day.in fact all my new bits wont be going on to the car until im actually at the rebuilding process.some have advised me to fit certain bits now to make sure everything is working okay but its not happening ive allready bought the suspension and ive decided to dump the lever arms as ive bought the telescopic conversion.still waiting for my compensation money from a motorbike accident i had two and a half years ago but it will be here this year.this money is paying for my garage to go up plus it also pays for the bodywork to be sorted out.so by buying my bits now it will cushion the blow later on im looking at spending about £25,000 :rolleyes: but that includes the £6000 :( i paid for the car in the first place.allready got the alternator conversion and new wiring loom suspension all the bushes loads of nuts and bolts door handles boot handle boot hinges tail lights had to buy an overdrive and gearbox as mine was non overdrive ,so as you can see ive been busy just got paid so im looking through the Moss book again God i want to buy everything :lol:

kevin

Welcome Kevin and congratulations on your acquisition!

I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy (mostly!) the rebuild process - something I did to a US TR4 between 1990 and 1994...

As for the dash panel, and if LHD, I had mine very well converted (cut in five and handed) by what was Northern TR. I am sure if a RHD version is not available then if you are unable to do this yourself, there will be someone that can! I left all the body work to the 'professionals', but did most of the remaining bits myself using the Haynes manual! I had never rebuilt an engine before and learnt a good deal in the process. As other will vouch, the first turn of the key and hearing the engine start for that first time is magical - the 'Cheshire Cat' had nothing on me that day!!! Even if you are replacing the wiring harnes, and others had already stated, clearly label things!

Good luck and we all look forward to hearing/reading of your progress.

Best regards

hi ian

im going to get the engine pro built lightened balanced lead free etc by Bailey Liddle in Faversham waiting for rough guide but should be well under £2000 i cant wait to get my garage up so i can finally get on with the job until then ill keep buying parts

kevin

im looking at spending about £25,000 :rolleyes: but that includes the £6000 :( i paid for the car in the first place.

I would suggest that you are in an enviable situation and that when you get that MoT cert and the car is back on the road you have a VERY nice example!!! :rolleyes:

Good Luck!

Welcome Kevin and well done on your purchase!

I did exactly the same as you in 2002. I now have my car running and I'm in love with it!!!

The digital camera advice is spot on, photo EVERYTHING and bag/ label ALL parts; even if it's only to indicate which way round parts go.

Enjoy!

Any photos of the project?

Adey

hi ade

yes the digi camera will be heavily used as will labelling, what is wrong with the concours boys out there i was out the other day and they dont like my plans for the car ITS MY CAR and its not going to be factory standard by any shape of the imagination. i think ill stop talking to the pipe and slipper brigade as mine is going to be used and not kept in a garage all year

kevin

Hi Kevin,

Don't worry about the views of the 'concours types' - some of these guys have had heads up their backsides for so long that they haven't smelt fresh air since Maggie was resident in No 10 . . .

It's a TR4, a sports car, it's meant for driving - not for being trailered to 2 miles down the road from a polisher's jamboree.

Listen to the blokes who actually drive their TRs, there are plenty of them on this Forum, you don't need a BSc in Psychology to differentiate between the drivers and the polishers.

Best of luck, and keep asking the questions :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec

Dont worry what the concours boys think of your plans, its your car after all. They will not like what i am doing to my tr4 but hey its mine! :P good luck with it and keep us posted in progress

tom

Dont worry what the concours boys think of your plans, its your car after all.

Same goes for the racers who may tell you all the go-faster mods you need.

As someone said - the wise man listens to advice then makes his own decision.

AlanR

As has been said it's your car. Some people like originality, some people like mods. I've got a 4 and it's being de bumpered, spots bar, ridgards, roll bar, harnesses, stage 2 engine plus some logical modern bits like an alternator. Everything ( or most ) is reversible, if someone wants, and the old bits are all being kept. but I want to drive it, have fun. It's a sports car........

Some will like it, some will not. but I'll love it.

Horses for courses guys, give the concours boys a break. They are not all over-restored cars that never turn a wheel, many are really great examples of TRs and I for one like to see an original car from time to time. I have never entered a concours competition and my cars being modified will never be concours standard, but there were plenty of concours cars who braved the floods to get to Malvern last year while many of the "drivers" stayed at home. Eventually it got too bad for anyone to get there.

Good luck with the TR4 rebuild. The TR4 is a great car, and as has been said it's your car so you rebuild it as you please. There are many on the forum who can give you sound advice on originality or modification it being a big club most tastes are accomodated.

Good luck

Trevor.

Well said Trevor.

There's a happy medium that all of us eventually find that suits our own attitude to using the car and keeping it in a condition that is personally acceptable. I think we are all here to "preserve the marque" in our own way. The totally standard cars are a great reference for owners and non-owners and are at an extreme end of the spectrum of ownership. I think even Alec would agree that they have their place in our (very large) club.

I don't get-off toothbrushing every square inch of the underside of my TR4's wings either, but I do like it to be well looked after; especially after the time, effort and money I've spent.

All the recent "ground-up" restorations I've seen recently, in TRaction, on the forum and in the flesh have been worthy of being exhibited. Once a car is new and fresh again, it's easier to keep in a good condition.

Adey (wearing the "2007" T-Shirt with pride)

Have to say that Trevors comments are spot on as well. Also Ades.

I think the best comment is that we should do what we want and to preserve the marque. I remember as a young man (many moons ago) going out in a TR3A and thinking what a wonderful thing that was. That was my introduction to classics and the fun and pleasure that they bring. I always thought the TR as a true sports car and have seen many beautiful and almost original cars and some interestingly modified ones as well - the direction that I probably lean to. But the fact is they tend to be owned by enthusiasts, who love the marque.

TR's - long may they continue and continue to find new enthusiasts to look after them. :D

Back to some advice, apart from the digital camera being mentioned:

- A few days ago, I saw a neat way of organizing the labeled bags: the guy nailed had all bags to the wall, dividing the wall into sections: 'front' 'under the bonnet' etc. It made his life easier. Newly bought parts were also on the wall, with red labels.

(Perhaps all a bit over the top, but he stated that he never had never lost any item).

- After I trailered my TR to my home 4 years ago, I started looking through all boxes that came with the car. I used the Moss catalog a lot. Not only did I write the part's name on the label, I also added the page number of the Moss catalog where I cold find the part.

- Before I started the restoration, I had already bought a lot of new items for my car, upgrades mostly. Electric fan (Pacet), high torque starter (TRGB) etc.

- During the process, you're easily talked into more and more... (I know, I've been there...). Stick to the plan, it will save you a lot of money in the end.

- Post your pictures of Photobucket or Imageshack. Or, start a website about your car for the TR audience to comment. It has helped me a lot. There's so much know how around... And a picture tells you more. A picture makes viewers (and readers) of this forum more alert and their response is great, with very useful comments. I do the same with my Saabs now.

- ... (and there's so much more to tell!)

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij
Guest james67

Hi Kevin,

Don't worry about the views of the 'concours types' - some of these guys have had heads up their backsides for so long that they haven't smelt fresh air since Maggie was resident in No 10 . . .

It's a TR4, a sports car, it's meant for driving - not for being trailered to 2 miles down the road from a polisher's jamboree.

Listen to the blokes who actually drive their TRs, there are plenty of them on this Forum, you don't need a BSc in Psychology to differentiate between the drivers and the polishers.

Best of luck, and keep asking the questions :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec

GREAT comments from Alec :lol: ... Kevin I will be watching this one with interest .... welcome to the forum, like you I have only recently joined and still finding my way round here like you I am completely restoring my TR4A - CT76812E whatever that means :rolleyes: . Good Luck

Regards

James

Kevin

Good job on preserving the marque, any rebuilt TR is a plus and it sounds like you have the budget to do it properly :lol: !!

As to what you should do, I have to go with the guys on this one and bugger the rest BUILD YOUR CAR the way you intend to use it. I have lots of modern mods which allow me to do 5-8k a year in modern traffic with a degree of safety. Lights, brakes, electric's, half cages, seats, hazards etc etc allow you to do this with a margin built in over a 'stock' TR.

I wouldn't have wanted to do what I did last year in a standard car but I have great admiration for those that do, I'd just rather have something in reserve ;)

Look forward to seeing the updates on what you decide to do, if its MOT'd maybe get it along to the International before you tear it down ?? :P

Kevin

Good job on preserving the marque, any rebuilt TR is a plus and it sounds like you have the budget to do it properly :lol: !!

As to what you should do, I have to go with the guys on this one and bugger the rest BUILD YOUR CAR the way you intend to use it. I have lots of modern mods which allow me to do 5-8k a year in modern traffic with a degree of safety. Lights, brakes, electric's, half cages, seats, hazards etc etc allow you to do this with a margin built in over a 'stock' TR.

I wouldn't have wanted to do what I did last year in a standard car but I have great admiration for those that do, I'd just rather have something in reserve ;)

Look forward to seeing the updates on what you decide to do, if its MOT'd maybe get it along to the International before you tear it down ?? :P

hi mike

please tell what is the international when and where im a train driver so i work some very silly hours but if i can make it i will

kevin

hi mike

please tell what is the international when and where im a train driver so i work some very silly hours but if i can make it i will

kevin

Hi Kevin,

Very Briefly

18-20 July 2008

TR Register International Weekend, Malvern

The International is held at Three Counties Showground every year. Its a three day event, pull your car up , pitch your tent next to it. Then enjoy the rest of the weekend, lots going on, you name it

A must go to event

Guy