Update 2: TR3A 50th Celabrations, Malvern

For background please see: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=10416

Hi fellow 3A owners

I recently met with Mike Ellis over a couple of pints and as a result I'm due to contact the following owners of historic 3As this weekend by phone:

1. Ronald Pate with 823 GOB: penultimate 3A and youngest known

2. Iain Fisher (already PM’d) with VDU 565: 1957 Press Car and 2nd oldest 3A in the UK

3. Bob West with VVC 673: 1958 Rally Car

4. David Mackay with VVC 288: British Army Rally Car

5. David Rawsthorne with VVC 290: British Army Rally Car

6. David Sarson with WDU 712: 1958/9 Rally Car

7. Geoff Stamper with WVC 247: 1959/60 Work Rally Car

8. Ken Wakefield with WVC 249: 1959/60 Work Rally Car

Mike intends to make contact with the following owners, which might prove a bit more difficult than my task:

1. Ken Richardson’s personal car: VHP 529

2. Press/demonstrator: 46 HP

3. Press Car: 2242 RW

4. 3A IRS Prototype: YDU 208

However, if any of the owners above read this post please PM either myself or Mike respectively AND if anyone knows the above owners please draw their attention to this post and its purpose.

Finally, all owners of 3As who wish to participate in the TR3A’s 50th Celebrations at Malvern please email me.

Many thanks

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith
  • 2 weeks later...

To keep this thread at the top of the list here is an update and a request.

The bulk of the work on this is being done by Andrew, I am just helping with identifying interesting cars. We have been out and about, yesterday at the Farnham Festival of Transport we persuaded (well one probable and one possible) two 3A owners to bring their cars to Malvern. Also both the youngest and oldest TR3As in the UK will be there and there is a good chance that the car used as the prototype for an IRS system will be there, albeit now with solid axle.

I am sure there will be lots of 3As at the weekend but it would be good know as many as possible in advance.

Finally there are three cars that I seem to have lost track of, does anyone know of their whereabouts?

2242 RW

VHP 529

46 HP

Thanks

Mike

Mike, According to the DVLA 46 HP has a current road fund licence expiring in 2008 so assume it is still on the road. VHP 529 is unlicenced, the licence having expired on 01.07.05 and 2242 RW is also unlicenced, the licence having expired on 01.03.86. It would seem only one of the three has potential to make it to Malvern under it's own power.

Regards

Trevor.

Hi Andrew, I trust that ALL 3As will be more than welcome to join in, and not just those whose owners happen to be Forum browsers with the inclination to make prior contact ? Cheers, Alec

Hi Alec

Absolutely right! All TR3As are welcome in whatever condition, from whichever country and with or without sporting or other historical provenance.

There is NO cut off date for those owners wishing to participate, so no one will be disadvantaged.

In addition to information already on the Home Page and Forum, there will also be an article in TRaction 220 inviting owners to make contact with me either prior to or at Malvern. All Group Leaders have been informed (via the GL Newsletter) of the celebrations and asked to notify all TR3A owners in their particular Groups. There will also be flyers at Malvern inviting owners to join in the celebrations throughout the weekend and tannoy announcements.

The reason for asking owners to register their intent is for planning purposes and to pre-book cars into the arena/static displays rather than leave things to the last minute. So could I again ask owners of 3As who wish to participate in the TR3A’s 50th Celebrations at Malvern to please PM me.

On the planning front, things are looking good with banners being made up, commemorative mugs being produced (the first 50 participants get one free), a rather special birthday cake being made (by Jean Parkinson of TVG), static car displays with photo/information boards in Wye Hall, videos playing archived footage of the 3A’s sporting achievements and arena displays on Saturday & Sunday.

I'm also in discussion with the Malvern Police regarding convoy runs, although there a few H&S aspects to conform to and a number of other hoops to jump through, so this will need to be considered and planned carefully before being committed to.

After the planning meeting on Tuesday at Malvern I will be better placed to go firm on timings and other arrangements.

Finally, is there anyone who would be willing to put together a video of the celebrations over the weekend? If so, could you please PM me, thanks.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith
  • 2 weeks later...

Peter, yeah that's a shame - but France's loss is our gain big fella! :lol:

Moving quickly on…………Dear sidescreeners

Having attended the Malvern planning meeting last week, the 50th Anniversary plans are coming together nicely, so just to update you a little further:

I will be organizing a convoy run for the Saturday and Sunday and have written to the West Marcia Police applying for approval of the route (route drawn up by Andy Canning – thanks Andy!), so I'll wait to receive their favourable reply - hopefully!

All being well with the police the route will take in some rather nice Cotswold scenery and provide the opportunity to stop for the odd (very!) scenic photograph of “my 3A at.......". The whole route without stopping (or getting lost) will be about 30 minutes or so, so nothing too taxing for the first TR convoy run at Malvern for a number of years!

As previously mentioned, the static display in Wye Hall is coming together, but with the added bonus of a stall selling original Stanpart panels and other NOS parts - but more of that in later updates!

I'm currently talking to a number of major suppliers to sponsor prizes for categories yet to be decided (any suggestions from the floor?) and maybe even a wet t-shirt competition, who knows?!

Further updates as the planning comes together, but please bear in mind I only started this about three weeks ago or so, so there's a lot to do in a short period of time - all offers of help gratefully received - I haven't forgotten your offer Trevor!

In the meantime we need to fill one side of Wye Hall with 3As (TR5s & 250 will fill the other side!), so 3A owners who wish to participate in the TR3A’s 50th Celebrations please PM me so I can start allocating cars to slots.

That said, there’ll be plenty of 3As at Malvern on the day – so keep an eye on your windscreen for a flyer and listen out for tannoy announcements.

Finally, the 50th Anniversary could possibly be the biggest gathering of TR3As ever and will be recorded in the Register's history.

Cheers for now

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith
For background please see: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=10416

Hi fellow 3A owners

I recently met with Mike Ellis over a couple of pints and as a result I'm due to contact the following owners of historic 3As this weekend by phone:

1. Ronald Pate with 823 GOB: penultimate 3A and youngest known

2. Iain Fisher (already PM’d) with VDU 565: 1957 Press Car and 2nd oldest 3A in the UK

3. Bob West with VVC 673: 1958 Rally Car

4. David Mackay with VVC 288: British Army Rally Car

5. David Rawsthorne with VVC 290: British Army Rally Car

6. David Sarson with WDU 712: 1958/9 Rally Car

7. Geoff Stamper with WVC 247: 1959/60 Work Rally Car

8. Ken Wakefield with WVC 249: 1959/60 Work Rally Car

Mike intends to make contact with the following owners, which might prove a bit more difficult than my task:

1. Ken Richardson’s personal car: VHP 529

2. Press/demonstrator: 46 HP

3. Press Car: 2242 RW

4. 3A IRS Prototype: YDU 208

However, if any of the owners above read this post please PM either myself or Mike respectively AND if anyone knows the above owners please draw their attention to this post and its purpose.

Finally, all owners of 3As who wish to participate in the TR3A’s 50th Celebrations at Malvern please email me.

Many thanks

Andrew

umm sorry guys :wacko: , i know this may sound daft, but can any one tell me what date the malvern show is. :)

• 3 years later...

It's a bit late now but I have just found this post. I am the owner of 2242 RW. I have owned it since the late 80's. It is a complete car and did run. I drove it to a couple of shows including the 'Enfield Pageant' in I think 1989 (with trade plates). It is still awaiting restoration.

I was one of those that did make the 2007 International but I new nothing about the celebrations. They must of got washed away with everthing else!

Cheers John

ps I have PM'd the relevent poster's.(A bit late now, never mind)

Andrew

Can't believe I'm missing Malvern!!!

Will be in France visiting an 'Old Haunt'

Maybe a few 3a's can get together at the Le Mans Classic in 2008?

Unc

Well they could, but they'd be a bit late now - it was only three years ago ....

Edited by Graham Robson

Andrew, just a thought - have you considered whether any repatriated TR3B's might somehow fit into the TR3A 50th celebrations ?.

I suppose it's a matter of being considered as a TR3A continuation, or waiting until next year for their own anniversary.

Regards,

Viv.

Hi Viv,

The TR3A’s 50th celebrations were held at the IWE in Malvern in 2007, although pretty much devastated by the July floods that year – this is an old post rejuvenated.

However, although the flooding did have a drastic affect on attendance, the 3A’s 50th still went ahead but with fewer cars in Wye Hall; the cutting of the birthday cake took place too and all was reported in the TRaction immediately following the IWE. We also gave out commemorative mugs and had great photographic display depicting members’ 3As, works rally and LM cars, 3A prototypes and press cars etc.

I’ll post a few photos when I get home tonight.

Not sure exactly what date the first 3B rolled off the line, but maybe someone with a 3B can pick up the baton?

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Andrew, that had me scratching my head as we've been celebrating the 50th of the TR4.

Couldn't be explained by the 9 hour time lag. :D

The two series of TR3B's were made between May and December 1962, so in line for their 50th gong next year.

Regards,

Viv.

Andrew

You also need to talk to Graham Andrews - Graham bought 2 SMC (the 1958 Earls Court Motor Show demonstrator) from me and the restoration is nearing completion. He's done a great job.

PM me if you havent got his details.

Regards Tony

Andrew You also need to talk to Graham Andrews - Graham bought 2 SMC (the 1958 Earls Court Motor Show demonstrator) from me and the restoration is nearing completion. He's done a great job. PM me if you havent got his details. Regards Tony

Thanks Tony, but the 3A's 30thy birthday celebrations were held in 2007 at Malvern – this is an old thread resurrected. However, I'll fwd your post to Mike Ellis and no doubt Mike will follow it up for his files.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith