Moss Supercharger

Guest ron

Surprised nobody has commented on the ad on page 37 of the latest TRaction for the Moss supercharger kit, if their claims are true it seems to offer a lot of power on a carb car for the money, without a great deal of engineering work as well, just a pity I'm about two and half grand short of the price! :(

Ron

Surprised nobody has commented on the ad on page 37 of the latest TRaction for the Moss supercharger kit, if their claims are true it seems to offer a lot of power on a carb car for the money, without a great deal of engineering work as well, just a pity I'm about two and half grand short of the price! :(

Ron

Ron the only thing is that it is really designed for low compression US engines and it needs a major rejig to work on anything over about 8:1. If you want any more info talk to Jeff Marks at Moss as he can give you chapter and verse on the kit.

Stuart.

Stuart, Mine's an ex US car with a PI head and distributor, running on SUs, I've still got a spare low compression cylinder head, it's the cash that's missing :lol:

Ron

Edited by ron

Ron,

If it's more power you want and you've already got the P.I. head ( what about the cam? ) you can fix yourself up with a second-hand set of Webers for a lot less cash. Don't be concerned about second-hand; I've got 70,000 trouble free miles on a set of really ancient ones ( with brass throttle shafts ).

Now that Webers are back in production the used ones will be reasonably priced for a while yet ;)

Jon

You know my opinion of the PI set-up :rolleyes: [if I'd designed it I wouldn't tell anyone :lol: ]

Tom

Wouldn't mind Webers, it's just the supercharger is something different, anyway I've just spent over £1000 on steam engine castings etc so they're all relegated to 'another thing I'll buy if the lottery comes up'

Ron

Edited by ron
Stuart, Mine's an ex US car with a PI head and distributor, running on SUs, I've still got a spare low compression cylinder head, it's the cash that's missing :lol:

Ron

Hi.

I have done it , not with the Moss setup , but a custom setup.

My engine is a CR 125 HP engine with a 7,5 compression head, the injection is converted to Bosch L-Jet from a Opel Senator 2,5 donor car , Eaton M62 SC.

My TR6 use 7,8 seconds from 0-60 miles and that is before I have added the intercooler.

Take a look at this video.

Oystein

Edited by tr6driver

Ron

I think it is a good option and comparable to a lot of machining and new parts. You do have to have a good solid motor to start with so chances are you are going to spend half as much again on refurbing your standard engine before you add the SC but it does look good and I bet it sounds impressive too when it is cranked up.

The part I noticed most was the "stunning" price, I was truly stunned when I converted that to dollars. Moss in the US sells that kit for $3500.00 or around GBP 1750.

Stan

I think it is a good option and comparable to a lot of machining and new parts. You do have to have a good solid motor to start with so chances are you are going to spend half as much again on refurbing your standard engine before you add the SC but it does look good and I bet it sounds impressive too when it is cranked up.

The part I noticed most was the "stunning" price, I was truly stunned when I converted that to dollars. Moss in the US sells that kit for $3500.00 or around GBP 1750.

Stan

I agree that as the rate has now gone over 2 dollars it would be tempting to do a personal import. Be a bit of a b****r carrying on a plane as hand luggage though!! Fed Ex wouldnt be cheap for that weight.

Stuart

Hi.

I have done it , not with the Moss setup , but a custom setup.

My engine is a CR 125 HP engine with a 7,5 compression head, the injection is converted to Bosch L-Jet from a Opel Senator 2,5 donor car , Eaton M62 SC.

My TR6 use 7,8 seconds from 0-60 miles and that is before I have added the intercooler.

Take a look at this video.

Oystein

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/lu...nt=P1020707.flv

This set-up has particular appeal since it doesn't compress fuel with the air ( so-called "wet" application ), a significantly happier arrangement for the blower. Still, the 7.8 second figure is not much better than the testers got for the early TR6 PI... :mellow:

This set-up has particular appeal since it doesn't compress fuel with the air ( so-called "wet" application ), a significantly happier arrangement for the blower. Still, the 7.8 second figure is not much better than the testers got for the early TR6 PI... :mellow:

Hi.

I think I am able to get the 0-60 lower when I have fine tuned the injection and added the intercooler.

The test result on 7,8 seconds was only done once , I havent reinforced the diff mountings yet , that will be done very soon.

The engine power is theoreticly calculated to aprox 180 HP with this figure.

I think on adding the intercooler and fine adjustments on the injection the car should make 0 -60 on 7,5 seconds with

an engine giving about 190 HP.I dont think I want more because of the limits of the standard driveline.

Since the engine power is up to the limits of the driveline I allways must have that in mind when driving.

Compared driving a standard 150 HP PI engine there is a noticable difference in torque and power.

I dont want an engine you have to rev up to 7000 RPM before you have the max power output .

With the supercharger you can have high power and torque on much lower RPM.

Oystein

Tom

I think 7.8 secs to 60 is very optimistic for a TR6, back in the early 70s I had an Elan SE which was quoted at 7.9 to 60, it was CONSIDERABLY faster off it's mark than my pal's TR6 and any other ones I met, in fact the only car I ever met that it couldn't outdrag was a V8 Morgan. [it did live up to it's nickname though, Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious :huh: ]

Ron

Edited by ron
Tom

I think 7.8 secs to 60 is very optimistic for a TR6, back in the early 70s I had an Elan SE which was quoted at 7.9 to 60, it was CONSIDERABLY faster off it's mark than my pal's TR6 and any other ones I met, in fact the only car I ever met that it couldn't outdrag was a V8 Morgan. [it did live up to it's nickname though, Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious :huh: ]

Ron

One or more of my TR books cites a contemporary tester ( magazine I think ) getting 8.2 secs out of the '69 TR6, which they thought remarkable since the TR5 was getting 8.8 secs.

I don't know what my '250 will do to 60 but it does the 1/4 mile in 16.2 secs @ 86 mph, with its 150 cam, Webers, Phoenix single bore exhaust/ extractor manifold, and, oh yeah, a Racetorations head :rolleyes: . Since I was the pilot for the test I expect it's really good for a bit better, as I wasn't about to thrash it within an inch of its life <_<

Edited by Tom Fremont
One or more of my TR books cites a contemporary tester ( magazine I think ) getting 8.2 secs out of the '69 TR6, which they thought remarkable since the TR5 was getting 8.8 secs.

I suspect the times are probably pretty much spot on, off in 1st with loads of welly, grab second and then use the O/D to just top the 60, I think non O/D would be just a bit slower............?

Edited by jonlar
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest P Cobbold

Ron

Few TR drivers have experienced a supercharged engine with its smooth torque that starts at 1000rpm and just keeps coming as the revs rise. I'm convinced that once that kit gets fitted by a few members we'll be hearing rave reports. Moss must be onto a winner here.

My Wade-blown motor takes 9psi boost at 5000rpm on a 9.5:1 C/R, providing I use 95octane fuel plus 2 octane-points of Millers dope (see the Technicalities CD). On a single SU with no fancy cam, no air-flowing, no balancing, no tuned exhaust.... And at full boost the engine is in effect working at 11.5 C/R: that's racing engine territory (and the exhaust note sounds like it).

Supercharging would make a good topic for a discussion meeting at the International. Anyone got a Moss-blown motor to bring along?

Guest P Cobbold
Moss catalogue says it only fits left hand drive cars.

Regards

Phil

The carb and clutch m/c would probably be fighting for the same space in RHD. In the 80's Protek built a supercharged RHD TR6 with a big Marshall blower where the Eaton sits: the carb was fitted above the distributor. So here's an idea: put the battery in the boot and fit a single 2"SU in its place. If Moss give me a kit I'll do it for them, and in time for the International.

I cant believe I'm actually replying to this thread but I can see Moss staring at a lot of unsold SuperDyson thingies.

Get thyself a well set up 150 head and cam and dizzy, well set up Lucas injection and off you fly laddie.

Seems simple to me.

Alan

X755

I cant believe I'm actually replying to this thread but I can see Moss staring at a lot of unsold SuperDyson thingies.

Get thyself a well set up 150 head and cam and dizzy, well set up Lucas injection and off you fly laddie.

Seems simple to me.

Alan

X755

I have to agree Alan,

unless they want to throw endless amounts money at their car for racing, then its a waste of money for the everyday owner/driver.

I was going to add a few 'toys' to mine,but I have decided to keep it 99% standard,and put the ££££'s to better use,like getting only genuine stanpart parts where I can!!

Like wheels!! I bought,fitted,then sold a set of wires, in favour of the original steels with chrome finisher rings.

I have to agree Alan,

unless they want to throw endless amounts money at their car for racing, then its a waste of money for the everyday owner/driver.

I was going to add a few 'toys' to mine,but I have decided to keep it 99% standard,and put the ££££'s to better use,like getting only genuine stanpart parts where I can!!

Like wheels!! I bought,fitted,then sold a set of wires, in favour of the original steels with chrome finisher rings.

I think it would be a shame to butcher an otherwise good injected engine with anything (webers, SC etc) but for the carbureted engines the SC is a good option and compares well with the cost/benefit for traditional tuning via normally aspirated means (c/r, cam etc). The SC is a good way to get closer to the original injected HP in a weekend assuming an otherwise sound motor.

Stan

I think it would be a shame to butcher an otherwise good injected engine with anything (webers)

Aargh! I'm cut to the quick.... :(

Actually a number of formerly injected cars are running with triple Webers - they can always switch back to P.I. if they want. What they get with Webers is performance, reliability and vintage cachet.

It seems to me the supercharger option is presented as an easier way to get "there" but, as Alan says, you can buy the pieces for a P.I. and bolt them all on without much head-scratching there either. I've seen several TR250s and TR6 carb cars offered in the U.K. with P.I. conversions <_<

Guest P Cobbold

Supercharging is no good for racing. The regs will put you in a class with the V8s- a 40% cubic capacity penalty. That's how effective forced induction can be, when taken to its limits.

I drove my PI'd CR motor for well over 150,000miles. Now the PI kit is slowly gathering dust in a box in the loft. And there it will stay. The supercharged car is vastly superior - smoother, much more-low down torque. The car pulls a gear higher than normal, and feels overall very much like a V8. And that from a DIY conversion with a 50-year old blower from a diesel truck, (which limits max rpm to 5000), fed by a single SU and with near zero expenditure on tuning.