Electronic Flasher Relay

Hello All,

I'm trying to source a more reliable 2 pin electronic flasher relay that will slot right into the existing rectangular bracket on my 1972 TR6.

I've looked up all the usual places and can only find circular units.

Does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks in advance,

Richard.

I fitted a 3-pin relay, the new pin is simply ground that

can be connected by the screw that holds the little

connector in place that bolts the flag of the relay.

Just a little work to make those parts and drill a hole

but its quickly done and those relays are cheap and

widely availiable....

Tom - there would be no advantage. There are plenty of three-pin electronic flashers which will fit directly to a 3A, like this one for instance:

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/165/category/35.

To use a two-wire flasher you would have to do something to connect the dashboard lamp. It would need two diodes and a bit of soldering.

So what do you find unreliable about the original bimetallic type Richard - have you fitted LED bulbs or something?

Hi Rob,

I'm not aware of any unreliability with the bimetallic unit, I just though an electronic unit would be more reliable.

Regards,

Richard.

Try Gil at Better car lighting 0121-7737000 I had one off him sometime ago when I fitted LED bulbs in the rear. I seem to remember it was a straight swap. Anyway its been fitted over 12 mths with no problems. His bulbs are good quality as well, but not cheap

Paul

I got this - its works well, a much more consistent flash speed on both sides.

Did you use ballast resistors as well or just the flasher unit ?

ATB Graham

I think we need to put this 'ballast resistor' thing to bed once and for all as it seems to crop up quite often lately.

You should not need extra resistors unless you are using the wrong flasher unit with LED bulbs.

You will need them if you are using LEDs with the original bimetallic flasher.

You will also need them with LEDs if you have an electronic flasher designed for use only with ordinary bulbs, if that incorporates a blown-bulb current sensor as some standard ones do. ( It mimics the old bimetallic type by flashing faster if it senses insufficient current drawn)

You will not need them if you have an electronic flasher unit designed for use with LED bulbs.

You will not need them for an electronic flasher with ordinary bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...