Ammeter verses Voltmeter

Sorry for all the questions lately but trying to do the stuff myself and it is a learning curve, and as I am finding out, there is a wealth of really good knowledge out there with you guys

My tr4a is negative earth with alternator and is fitted with a voltmeter (which doesn't appear to work)

1. how can I test the voltmeter?

2. what should the correct wiring be? is the wiring the same for both guages?

3. If the volt meter is faulty should I replace it with an ammeter or another voltmeter?

thanks in anticipation Lee

Hi Lee,

To test a voltmeter just connect it straight across the battery. It should read around 12V.

When wired in a car it is again wired straight across the battery but this time through the ignition switch

The wiring to an ammeter is completely different and unless you want to change your wiring you will need to stick to a voltmeter.

Steve

iz7onc.jpg 2uivqdi.jpg

Click on thumbnail

Lee - the article which Jim Christie and I had in TR Action 248 (March 2011) might help, and I am sure the Office will have a back copy. If not available, send me a PM (Personal Message).

Ian Cornish

I have just had to deal with this issue on my 4a rebuild.

The new autosparks loom with alternator conversion does not have the ammeter wires. When questioned they explained in summary that ammeters and alternators are not good news for reasons mentioned by others.

The solution would be to fit a voltmeter in place of the ammeter, or leave the ammeter in place and do not bother about it not working as there is a charging light in the circuit which will tell you if there is a problem, just like with modern cars.

To fit a voltmeter is very easy, as has been explained but I would suggest that you check out which wires are actually connected to the Vm as this may shed light on why it is not working. If the Vm is connected to the brown wires where the Am used to be it wont work, but those wires need to be connected to complete the circuit. Take a look at the wiring diagram of a tr5/5 with an alternator and an ammeter then compare it with the later tr6 with a voltmeter and an alternator. You will see how it should be wired. The diagrams are in the Brown book.

Hope this helps.

ps Voltmeter every time.

The solution would be to fit a voltmeter in place of the ammeter, or leave the ammeter in place and do not bother about it not working as there is a charging light in the circuit which will tell you if there is a problem, just like with modern cars.

LNK has just that, but I decided to continue fixing it until it was proper broken. laugh.gif

So spent a weekend making a stand alone loom, heavy duty, fused coming and going (over kill) double insulated the contact points on the back of the ammeter (cause of 90% of dash board fires), connected it all up, nothing !! Fried the already iffy ammeter............................that was 4 years agotongue.gif

This has just reminded me to get the dial down to Speed Cables and get it re build for higher amp-age, watch this space......................

It you wire the ammeter output back to the battery side of the soleniod or directly to the battery, the ammeter doesn't recieve the "charge" output. It won't show if the battery is being charged, however, it'll only show discharge.

Does save the need to beef-up the wiring behing the dash though.

Ade

If the alternator is of modest output, such as the LRA101, originally fitted to the TR7 and peaking at 34 Amps, then the ammeter will scarcely ever see any overload.

I have this alternator and see only about 28 amps charge very briefly after starting the car on a winter's day (yes, the car DOES go out in the wet and the winter, as long as the roads are free of salt).

However, if you go in for frying oncoming motorists with your auxiliary lamps and have many other electrical extras, you might be pushing your luck! In such cases, the change to a voltmeter is a wise precaution.

Remember that the ammeter measures the current flowing into/out of the battery, so as long as your alternator is coping with the electrical load, the ammeter will be reading near zero. However, if you stop the engine and leave all the Blackpool illuminations on, then your ammeter may well suffer terminal damage! Of course, you can be clever and feed spotlamps and other auxiliaries via relays which will be energised solely when the ignition is ON, and this can help avoid such problems.

Ian Cornish

I changed my TR's dynamo for a 1989 Suzuki Swift / Nippon Denso alternator and got rid of all the extra wiring. Having experienced a 'behind the dash' fire with my Spitfire, I opted for the safest solution: Advance Auto Wire's multi fused system and a Voltmeter. Not really needed with a modern day configuration; I even thought of installing a period correct clock instead of the ammmeter. Stuart pointed me towards a period correct voltmeter and that's what I have installed. Never looked back.

Have a look at this and look for 'stock schematics' The TR250 and TR6 both have voltmeters. You can see how these are installed. ('73 TR6)

Advance Auto Wire

Menno

Probably the safest way to connect an Alternator is straight onto the battery too and not through old wiring because it probably won't like that many amps. If you do this everything else can stay the same and you'll just have to get used to the ammeter showing a discharge.

Ash

I have just had to deal with this issue on my 4a rebuild.

The new autosparks loom with alternator conversion does not have the ammeter wires. When questioned they explained in summary that ammeters and alternators are not good news for reasons mentioned by others.

To fit a voltmeter is very easy, as has been explained but I would suggest that you check out which wires are actually connected to the Vm as this may shed light on why it is not working. If the Vm is connected to the brown wires where the Am used to be it wont work, but those wires need to be connected to complete the circuit. Take a look at the wiring diagram of a tr5/5 with an alternator and an ammeter then compare it with the later tr6 with a voltmeter and an alternator. You will see how it should be wired. The diagrams are in the Brown book.

Hope this helps.

ps Voltmeter every time.

I beg to differ on this I also had Autosparks make me a loom up everything relayed alas they missed one wire out( cost a lot to sort out and they had no answer) uprated alternator with std amp meter and all works fine

Edited by ntc

Re my loom, I spoke to autosparks about this 3 weeks ago and have an email response from them outlining exactly why the wires to the ammeter have been deleted, why ammeters and alternators can be problematic and their advice to fit a voltmeter if I wanted to see voltage as well as a charging light, thus I have no axe to grind on this issue.

I can however add that on my beloved TR6 race car, it used to eat alternators and the problem was traced a faulty ammeter. I changed the ammeter and the problem went away.....for a while.

When this occured several years ago I was not as conversant with car electrics as i am now or I would have deleted the ammeter and fitted a voltmeter, for no other reason than it was 1 less thing to worry about, and 1 less thing etc was V important at the time.

By the way the loom is a standard loom which has been altered by AS to delete the regulator and add the alternator.

For my next project I will try a relayed loom with a decent fusebox as you have done. Of course I will expect to get a circuit diagram with it this time!!!

I stay with my ammeter because it can tell you if the battery is getting bad. Things that a voltmeter cant tell you.

The disadvantage is that you have strong currents behind the dash board.

Cheers

Chris

In an ideal world, you would have both and Ammeter and a Voltmeter so you can check the state of the battery and the load characteristics when charging the battery and running the car, but since the dash space only has room for one of these, you need to decide which is more important for the system you have, or fit the missing one somewhere else. In general Alternators provide a good current output so the voltage is useful. A dynamo has brushes and these wear, so measuring the current is useful.

There are no hard and fast rules so fit what best suit your needs.

TT