Cracks in paintwork- is this normal?

Hello All,

I’ve noticed a number of cracks appearing in the paint work in various places on my TR4. Is this just part and parcel of TR ownership or should I be worried? See below for photos.

the paint job was done in 2011, and has stood up quite well. Any advice on how to stop water getting into the cracks and causing rust?

Thank you in advance,

Adam 

IMG_3381.jpeg

IMG_3379.jpeg

IMG_3378.jpeg

Poor preparation on the last respray....How much filler/primer was used?

Unfortunately, not much you can do now.

Edited by Malbaby

The lower two pictures are because filler was used on a joint that should have been leaded in and body lines filed back in, movement of the body has cracked the filler/primer, the one on the bonnet is poor prep and probably too much material applied without adequate flash off time. Unfortunately at the moment all you can do to prevent water ingress is to touch the areas in with paint leaving loads of time to dry between applications until youve filled the crack. It wont last long but hopefully till you can afford to have it properly rectified which is to bare metal the areas and start again. Typical 2k flash over.

Stuart.

Thanks all, it was restored and painted by a very reputable TR restoration company, so I might quiz them on the issues and see what they say. As always, your advice is invaluable!

Adam

On 6/19/2024 at 3:22 AM, The_Doc said:

Thanks all, it was restored and painted by a very reputable TR restoration company, so I might quiz them on the issues and see what they say. As always, your advice is invaluable!

Adam

Not reputable any more.:wacko:

[Unless they were instructed by you to do a cost saving job and not take the body back to bare metal]

Edited by Malbaby

I have exactly the same phenomenon on the hood which was repainted around 2010. It was repaired for free, but 1.5 years later the problem was back. Heat insulation was then applied to the inside of the hood and everything was sprayed again, this time for a fee. 2 years later, the cracks were back. Should I replace the hood?

10 hours ago, Jean-Marie Raedts said:

I have exactly the same phenomenon on the hood which was repainted around 2010. It was repaired for free, but 1.5 years later the problem was back. Heat insulation was then applied to the inside of the hood and everything was sprayed again, this time for a fee. 2 years later, the cracks were back. Should I replace the hood?

Depends on where the cracks are...please detail....the factory hoods were never very well made, and lack some structural integrity.

The cracks on the bonnet (!) always appear in a different place, in the beginning along the bulge, after the first respray somewhere else on the bonnet and after the third respray and mounting of an Isolation on the inside of the bonnet especially on the edges where there is no insulation . The latter may indicate that journeys in the south in temperatures of over 30 ° C with a hot engine can sometimes make the hood very hot. I don't know if that is the reason, it could also be a jump to conclusion. 

3 hours ago, Jean-Marie Raedts said:

The cracks on the bonnet (!) always appear in a different place, in the beginning along the bulge, after the first respray somewhere else on the bonnet and after the third respray and mounting of an Isolation on the inside of the bonnet especially on the edges where there is no insulation . The latter may indicate that journeys in the south in temperatures of over 30 ° C with a hot engine can sometimes make the hood very hot. I don't know if that is the reason, it could also be a jump to conclusion. 

Personally I would say thats bad prep and too much primer filler and application of 2K paint.

Stuart.

14 hours ago, Jean-Marie Raedts said:

Jean-Marie...you do not say if the bonnet was taken back to bare metal on the original or subsequent resprays.

Another bonnet to add to the thread, mine was painted probably about 18 years ago - Royal Blue , base + lacquer, after about 5 years the paint started to lift around the bulge and has slowly crept since then. Bit like Jean, thought it was heat so added exhaust wrap, started life at the size of a 20p and now like this, really time I got it sorted.20240625_091428.thumb.jpg.897bca6c90f802d2f1b60773d31904b9.jpg

20240625_091612.jpg

1 hour ago, andyhall said:

Another bonnet to add to the thread, mine was painted probably about 18 years ago - Royal Blue , base + lacquer, after about 5 years the paint started to lift around the bulge and has slowly crept since then. Bit like Jean, thought it was heat so added exhaust wrap, started life at the size of a 20p and now like this, really time I got it sorted.20240625_091428.thumb.jpg.897bca6c90f802d2f1b60773d31904b9.jpg

20240625_091612.jpg

Again bad prep Im afraid, the hump is always problematical to spray without getting too much material around the sides especially primer. Thats too far back to be engine heat affecting it.

Stuart.

Although I did not witness the spraying process, I assume the bonnet was reduced to bare metal. Especially with the resprays, they really wanted to prevent it from happening again. The paint shop had a good reputation and employed 20 people.

47 minutes ago, Jean-Marie Raedts said:

Although I did not witness the spraying process, I assume the bonnet was reduced to bare metal. Especially with the resprays, they really wanted to prevent it from happening again. The paint shop had a good reputation and employed 20 people.

Never assume when it comes to panel work. I know what short cuts are sometimes taken especially on unpaid remedials.

Stuart.