Wire Wheel Adapter Nuts

Maybe I have an odd setup (see photos) but in order to access the rear brake shoes I needed to remove my wire wheel adapters.

I now have the issue of refitting the adapters with new double bevelled nuts. I've read several threads on the joys of this task i.e. 65 lb torque and the use of a 6 sided socket. Plus ensure the adapters go back on the same hub, as they are somehow handed.

Question Can anyone recommend a socket specification? I have never seen a size recommended on any forum and just want to buy the right one. Getting them off was a beggar as I couldn't get a spanner or socket that fitted exactly. It also seems normal sockets don't fit right over the nut due to the proximity to the central spline casting on the adapter.

20240604_195156.jpg

20240604_195145.jpg

Edited by Rod Mac
Update

Ah, as these special nuts are 7/16 UNF then it is logical that an 11/16 socket should work on the new nuts when they arrive. 

I think the 11/16 didn't fit when removing them was because the old ones were horribly rounded.

Still may have an issue getting the socket fully over the new nuts but will cross that bridge.

Please advise otherwise!

1 hour ago, Rod Mac said:

Ah, as these special nuts are 7/16 UNF then it is logical that an 11/16 socket should work on the new nuts when they arrive. 

I think the 11/16 didn't fit when removing them was because the old ones were horribly rounded.

Still may have an issue getting the socket fully over the new nuts but will cross that bridge.

Please advise otherwise!

Rod - you need one like this, assuming 11/16th is correct because I cant remember if that is correct:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284595546527?epid=927809243&itmmeta=01HZJH4Y189C9GH9R4DHCVX19S&hash=item424337699f:g:XSoAAOSw5d5h1Xmb&itmprp

and then you need to grind the end of the socket till you have removed the chamfered rim on the end so that the grip faces of the socket are as tight as you can make them to the mating face ie hub - it wont then slip or burr the nuts

Cheers Rich C-R

Rich, that's great thank you. I'll order one and get the grindstone ready. Want the maximum socket/nut contact.

Pretty certain it's 11/16.

What a design for the adapters, and what a faff every time the shoes need inspecting!

Thanks for the link

Rod

Rod,

Be careful if you take the advice to use Loctite on the stud threads, imagine how much more difficult that makes the adaptor nut removals ! Because of the proximity to the rear of the wheel with the stud end the nuts can’t be longer, this set up isn’t that unusual being shared on other make cars of the time. If you need the flexibility of steel/ alloy wheels OR splined adaptors to take the wire wheels…this is the price you pay.

Mick Richards

Thank you all, I'll await new nuts and socket then proceed as above. There are a few scary tales out there I don't want to replicate.

…and clean ALL mating faces completely.   

Drive flange to inside of drum, Drum outer face to splined adaptor, Splined adaptor to drum.

Remove any paint, rust, dirt, nicks, burrs or other things that will affect the proper seating.

On 6/5/2024 at 6:34 AM, John Morrison said:

Confirm;- 11/16th, six sider, 65lbs and use some threadlocker, 

they can work loose, ask me how I know?

John.

+1 for them coming loose. Use a thread locker. 

Rgds Ian