My 3A is running well and the overdrive is now working. I did not realise that I used it so much. But now that I am out and about I need the tonneau to fit.

It has shrunk while rolled up at the back of the garage. It has lost about 1 1/2" both in the width and length. I have left it half  fitted and out in the sun hoping that I could hand stretch it on to the lift-the-dot fittings. But there has been very little improvement. 

Tomorrow I plan to try soaking it in hot water and fitting it in the sun. Is there any way to make it fit easily. I think that it must be over 30 years old and was used last year. I need some advice from the forum please. (not buy another :rolleyes: )

Richard & B

my approach would be.

Clip it on where you can and put out in the full sun or with a fan heater under it.    Once it goes soft and “boggy” ( Trimmers terminology) you may be able to fit more fasteners to pegs.   Could take an hour or two.  

Some one once suggested boiling water but I am not keen on that as it has to run somewhere, like over the paintwork or into the car

I had  the same problem a couple of weeks ago.

I keep the passenger side clipped on but hardly ever use the drivers side. When I tried to fit it on a wet day outside a pub there is no way it would fit over the steering wheel and the clips down the door sides were a long way off.

Tried it again yesterday in the sunshine and it fitted just like it used to.

It amazed me how much it shrinks in the cold weather. I'm going to use the drivers side more to try to keep it in training.

Maybe time to give the zip some maintenance as well.

How?

Not really sure. My dad used to rub a candle over the teeth on zips to lubricate them. 

It could well have just been an old wives tale he heard in the pub. May even do damage.

Any ideas?

Charlie.

This works well on clothing zips, from Amazon I think.

Cheers,

Tim

20240509_084437.thumb.jpg.cc572771b1a8322494c2a2083eaa21b5.jpg

36 minutes ago, Tim T said:

This works well on clothing zips, from Amazon I think.

Ah... Does what it says on the tin. (tube.)

Candle wax works fine, but it's really only needed on metal zips. 

Getting back to the problem.

If a day in the sun didn't soften it enough to stretch over the fittings, then it probably time to replace it.

Bob

2 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Ah... Does what it says on the tin. (tube.)

Graphite from a pencil run up and down the metal teeth?

Miles

56 minutes ago, MilesA said:

Graphite from a pencil run up and down the metal teeth?

Miles

Messy on light coloured upholstery. Candle wax works fine.

Stuart.

Things are going well with the Tr.3A . I left the Tonneau out in the sun today and there was no improvement. I tried using some pliers to grip the fabric and pull it tighter but there was no movement.

At the back of the garage there was a box with the hood inside. Under the hood was a different Tonneau. I tried it on the car and it fitted well in a few minutes. It is in the hot sun now and I will report if it is too loose tonight or becomes "boggy"

I like to use it because I parked outside the local bakers shop and with no cover all the tools and parts were dangerously exposed. So I was back in the car asap and back home looking for lost things in the garage, ( again. )

Thanks Richard & B