Vibration between 20 mph and 30 mph

I have 1960 TR3A and have recently replaced inner and out track rod ends on both sides. Got wheels aligned at local tyre garage and got them to check homework. After a recent road trip of about 500 miles where car performed flawlessly it has started  shuddering badly, windscreen vibrates etc from 15 mph to about 40 mph. All nuts etc are still tight. Any thoughts on where this might be generated from?

thanks Chris

Hi Chris,

welcome to the forum

It is often said - recheck the last work you did.  get the alignment looked at and  look at the TREs

Check tyres for bulges, foreign objects and pressures.

Roger

Have you hit a pot-hole that has bent a wheel ?

Maybe lost a wheel balance weight ?

Mick Richards

Am taking back to garage to check. All weights seem to be still on wheels and tyres look fine, but will check at garage. Do remember a pot hole that big. 

Do you know if there should be any play in the steering idler lever arm and or the idler lever housing. Manual showing a grease nipple at the bottom of housing, but mine missing. 

36 minutes ago, Chris F said:

Am taking back to garage to check. All weights seem to be still on wheels and tyres look fine, but will check at garage. Do remember a pot hole that big. 

Do you know if there should be any play in the steering idler lever arm and or the idler lever housing. Manual showing a grease nipple at the bottom of housing, but mine missing. 

There shouldnt be any up and down play on the idler and they should have a grease nipple, in the old days we used to recover them by a little grinding off the top of the housing and then screw the idler arm in one more turn. ;)

Stuart.

I suffered vibrations and shaking on my 3A for ages, although it was more in the speed range of 40-60 MPH. I'd had the wheels balanced at a reputable tyre company, but decided to build my own "Bubble balancer" to see what I could find. The wheels were quite a bit out of balance and so I added/removed weights to correct them. On getting back on the road I found the vibration was a lot less, but still not right.

Eventually I replaced the propshaft with a rebuilt one I bought on ebay and it totally transformed the car.

I doubt if your propshaft has suddenly gone out of balance, but it's always worth keeping the possibility in mind.

Charlie

1 minute ago, Charlie D said:

I doubt if your propshaft has suddenly gone out of balance, but it's always worth keeping the possibility in mind.

Charlie

Not unknown for the balance weight on the prop to fall off.

Stuart.

Thanks for all the comments, very useful. Have been in the phone to supplier in UK Rimmer Bros. Chap I spoke with doesn’t think the idler lever housing and or steering idler lever arm fail much. He suspected the drive shaft linkage might be at fault. Will wait until later when garage give verdict on tie rods ends etc.. and then it’s up on a ramp at a mates. 

Following on from Charlie D’s post, I fitted a new propshaft to my TR3a last year in a final attempt (I’d had everything thing else balanced) to deal with a vibration at about 65mph and it did the job. 

Rgds Ian

On 5/8/2024 at 3:05 PM, Chris F said:

Thanks for all the comments, very useful. Have been in the phone to supplier in UK Rimmer Bros. Chap I spoke with doesn’t think the idler lever housing and or steering idler lever arm fail much. He suspected the drive shaft linkage might be at fault. Will wait until later when garage give verdict on tie rods ends etc.. and then it’s up on a ramp at a mates. 

If you find the idler does have movement and wear consider the replacement bushed idler assembly from Revington 

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr3002ex/name/idler-bushed-assy-tr2-3b

or. If you have the facilities do it yourself with stock sized Oilite bushes and a suitable length of strong steel.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
5 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

If you find the idler does have movement and wear Co side the replacement bushed idler assembly from Revington 

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr3002ex/name/idler-bushed-assy-tr2-3b

or. If you have the facilities do it yourself with stock sized Oilite bushes and a suitable length of strong steel.

Thanks again - Car up on stands today and all 4 wheels have been balanced. They were all off a 2 were badly off. Will fit later and let you all know - 

On 5/8/2024 at 12:14 PM, stuart said:

Not unknown for the balance weight on the prop to fall off.

Stuart.