Oil leakage - potential spots

If I had oil drops under my car roughly in the area between the engine and gearbox (I am asking for a friend :rolleyes:) and the following root causes can be excluded:

- crankshaft seal (no oil in the clutch area, no oil coming out of the bottom hole of the bellhousing)

- valve cover (I am using  the improved silikone version and have to oil leak in this area ever since)

- crank case breather (open system, but no oil in in the outlet area)

- oil pan seal (exchanged, cleaned checked lately - no oil visible in that area)

What else could be a potential leakage are ?

Oil breathing out the oil cap then running along the rocker cover exterior and down the back of the block.

Visible wetness of oil at rear of cylinder head.

Sump plug not fully seated.  On TR2 originally there is a washer sealing the plug.   Later use a taper thread plug. Visible oil around the  plug.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Overdrive drain plug or OD/gearbox gasket

2 screws for the ignition coil

3 screws for the generator bracket

2 or 3 (?) bolts of both aluminum bridges over the crankshaft

….the whole engine

Rear seal will not always show from the bell housing. Most oil leaks from the rear of the engine, I have found, show around the plate fixed to the front of the bell housing at the back of the sump. Leaks can come from rear oil seal, around the rear main bearing cap, cam welsh plug, main oil gallery blanking plug as well as leaks from all over the engine as the oil always seems to get the the back of the sump.

I suspect a lot of rear crank seal leaks are in fact from around the read main bearing cap. This has been my experience. To properly check that you need to remove gearbox and flywheel, thoroughly clean around the rear of the engine, refit the flywheel and starter, support the back of the engine, start the engine and run for 10 to 15 mins. Remove flywheel and look. any leaks should make a showing. If the rear cap is the problem it can be fixed in chassis.

Remember, if parking facing uphill, some oil will always leak from the rear seal when the engine is shut down. It is only residual oil around the seal. Once the engine starts, the oil scroll will prevent leaks. I know this because it had me excluded from a hill climb because of a leak while stationary in the queue waiting my turn. Returned to the pits, placed a piece of rag between the sump and bell housing, returned to the queue and enjoyed my run up the Bathurst climb.

Brian