Fitting TR4a Wing and Door Mouldings

Hi All.  I must be bad at searching as I cannot ever find what I’m looking for on here!

I need to fit my new side mouldings so need to drill the holes in newly painted bodywork.  Should have done it before paint…

Does anyone have any tips?  Not a job I’m looking forward to!

What sealant do I use around the rear lights too pse?

Please wait while image is uploading...

Edited by Steven Whitaker

Hi Steve,

before painting is the safest way. However

Put masking tape where you are going to drill in case you slip.  1/8" drill.    Make sure they are all in line - you do not want to have too many failed holes.

You shouldn't need sealant around the rear lights.

Are you fitting wheel arch liners?

Roger

9 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Steve,

before painting is the safest way. However

Put masking tape where you are going to drill in case you slip.  1/8" drill.    Make sure they are all in line - you do not want to have too many failed holes.

You shouldn't need sealant around the rear lights.

Are you fitting wheel arch liners?

Roger

Thanks Roger.  I’ve. It decided on the liners.  Are they worthwhile?

8 minutes ago, had17462 said:

Steve when I did it I used masking tape along the panels ,marked where I wanted the holes new drill bit all good, hopefully Stuart will answer as he does this often

Nick

Thanks.

Hi Steve,

the wheel arch liners are worth their weight in gold.

Revington not cheap but easier to fit,  Honeybourne cheaper but not so good.

They stop all the road muck getting up into the far corners of the wheel arch area.  Rust TRap.

Roger

Steven,

You need to use an appropriately sized centre drill to start the hole off before you use the twist drill. There is less risk of the drill slipping with a centre drill.

Graham

19 hours ago, Steven Whitaker said:

Hi All.  I must be bad at searching as I cannot ever find what I’m looking for on here!

I need to fit my new side mouldings so need to drill the holes in newly painted bodywork.  Should have done it before paint…

Does anyone have any tips?  Not a job I’m looking forward to!

What sealant do I use around the rear lights too pse?

Please wait while image is uploading...

Years ago I watched a body work man fit side trims on a BMW 3 csl.  He carefully marked the position of first and last holes along the length of the car for the trim clips.  Taped the panels full length and drilled one hole front, one hole rear.

Inserted a rivet in each hole and tied between them a chalk string line.  He ‘pinged’ the the chalk string line and it left a nice visible straight line on the tape from the front to the back.   He then worked out where his holes for trim clips should be and drilled as required.   
It look so easy!

I use blue 3M 1/8" lining tape over standard white masking tape. That way the drill doesnt slip and its easy to drill in the centre of the lining tape. Dont forget the rear one on the door is a peg. Once youve drilled the hole touch each one in with some topcoat and then dab a little waxoyl on the rivet head before fitting each clip.

Stuart.

Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone for your input.  I have never spent such a focussed Friday night in the garage as last night!  All drilled including for the boot lid badges and tonneau studs.  Not a fun job after finish paint but it’s done.  All went well with the tape method.  Holes painted with top coat.  That’s a good idea Stuart putting waxoyl on the rivets.  

Badges were loose for the photos.

And I’ll now have a look at wing liners Roger.  Cheers.

IMG_3668.jpeg

IMG_0369.jpeg

IMG_0373.jpeg

Edited by Steven Whitaker