Can stale E5 be the sole cause of very rough running? ( been idle for months with the occasional start up and run to temp)

1970 Tr6 with lucas pump (weeping)  Less than a 1/4 tank of 6 month old E5 so not enough fuel to add my fuel stabiliser.

It was fine till a few weeks ago, now it sound horrible, it even has the occasional back fire.

The PI leads all have a pulse.

I need to remove the pump so I'm reluctant to add fresh fuel. 

Is it just the petrol? 

Thanks Ken.

Thanks for your input, are your replies based on experience of problems directly caused by stale fuel?

It's wishful thinking I suppose but I was hoping somebody would say they had the same symptoms which was cured by draining and refilling the tank with fresh petrol.

Thanks Ken

The plugs are likely sooted up.

I think a fresh set of plugs and fuel will sort it.

Andy

Have just read this  clip from the Daily Express:

Last year, Adrian Flux warned ethanol is "corrosive" with E10 fuel offering a higher risk of damaging metal, plastic and rubber in the fuel system.

This can lead to many problems such as issues with the carburettor and may even lead to broken fuel lines.

The motoring group also stressed the extra water consumption found in E10 fuel could also backfire for those who store their classic cars.

They added: "Water absorption is a problem if your classic car sits idle for long periods of time, as many classics do. The longer you leave it, the more moisture will build up and this can cause serious issues for driving and safety."

Always try to use E5 from Esso or Shell, as the Esso version may actually be E-Zero, if you are in the right part of the UK.

Also helps if tank kept pretty full rather than near empty in periods of little use - especially in cold, damp weather.

Ian Cornish

45 minutes ago, ianc said:

Last year, Adrian Flux warned ethanol is "corrosive" with E10 fuel offering a higher risk of damaging metal, plastic and rubber in the fuel system.

This can lead to many problems such as issues with the carburettor and may even lead to broken fuel lines.

The motoring group also stressed the extra water consumption found in E10 fuel could also backfire for those who store their classic cars.

They added: "Water absorption is a problem if your classic car sits idle for long periods of time, as many classics do. The longer you leave it, the more moisture will build up and this can cause serious issues for driving and safety."

Always try to use E5 from Esso or Shell, as the Esso version may actually be E-Zero, if you are in the right part of the UK.

Also helps if tank kept pretty full rather than near empty in periods of little use - especially in cold, damp weather.

Ian Cornish

Thank you Ian, I do use Esso or Shell E5 only.

Last year I had to replace the metering unit drive seal with a new Viton seal and the previous year the diaphragm seal with a viton item.

Due to lack of use I've had pumps seizing up with varnish due to fuel going off.

New pump, fresh fuel and if the problem is still there it's plugs, injectors,timing and so on.....

Ken.

So is Shell V Power any better for our cars?

Andy

On 4/23/2024 at 9:32 AM, ianc said:

Ian Cornish

Saw something last year about Shell, in some areas it was ethanol free, but that was coming to an end. I used to use only Shell, but now use any brand of E5 but always use an unleaded additive that includes an ethanol stabiliser, Classic valvemaster (used to be Castrol), and recently got a bargain deal from MGB Hive by buying a case of 12 bottles of Duckhams Classic fuel treatment. The Duckhams brand used to be owned by Castrol, so I suspect the bottle contents are the same.

Ralph

Started the TR6 today it’s the first start since New Years Eve.

It had just over half a Tank of fuel in it and started first time after about a 2 Second turn on the Starter it also has no choke cable so a slight pull of the enrichment lever and it burst into life went for a 30 mile drive and alls good.

On 4/28/2024 at 1:57 PM, TR NIALL said:

Started the TR6 today it’s the first start since New Years Eve.

It had just over half a Tank of fuel in it and started first time after about a 2 Second turn on the Starter it also has no choke cable so a slight pull of the enrichment lever and it burst into life went for a 30 mile drive and alls good.

Thank you Niall, that's good info. I must have a problem other than stale petrol.

KMI are building me a new lucas pump so I'll have to clean out the system as I do not want to contaminate my new pump with the 10 odd litres left in the tank.

Have you got the Lucas system or a Bosch conversion?

Fuel sold in Ireland must be the same as England.... unless you are adding Poitin to the mix. :P

Cheers Ken.

2 hours ago, ken foster said:

Thank you Niall, that's good info. I must have a problem other than stale petrol.

KMI are building me a new lucas pump so I'll have to clean out the system as I do not want to contaminate my new pump with the 10 odd litres left in the tank.

Have you got the Lucas system or a Bosch conversion?

Fuel sold in Ireland must be the same as England.... unless you are adding Poitin to the mix. :P

Cheers Ken.

Bosch Pump and recon MU since 2001 and no dodgy fuel:ph34r: