Fitting windscreen trim and filling the overdrive gearbox and diff with oil.

Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good tool to help fit the screen chrome trim please?

Also, any tips on how to fill the gearbox and dif with oil are appreciated.

I’ve tried searching on here but the search feature is frankly, very poor..

Thanks in advance.

Isn't the chrome just a push fit around the screen? Just like a Mini rear screen? I tend to fill the gearbox up from underneath the car. The gearbox oil comes in a container suitable to do this..

Hi Steven, I have put a 3” Grommet in the side of my gearbox tunnel I have a large syringe I fill with Penrite GB40 and fill it that way, some gear box oils come with a short bit of pipe. For the diff you have to get the car up off the ground front and back so it’s level no easy way just get under with you diff oil with its short bit of pipe and fill.

Mike Redrose Group 

48 minutes ago, Jase said:

Isn't the chrome just a push fit around the screen? Just like a Mini rear screen? I tend to fill the gearbox up from underneath the car. The gearbox oil comes in a container suitable to do this..

My trim will not go in easily.  Not a chance I’m afraid.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, brenda said:

Hi Steven, I have put a 3” Grommet in the side of my gearbox tunnel I have a large syringe I fill with Penrite GB40 and fill it that way, some gear box oils come with a short bit of pipe. For the diff you have to get the car up off the ground front and back so it’s level no easy way just get under with you diff oil with its short bit of pipe and fill.

Mike Redrose Group 

Thanks Mike.

I guessed as much about the diff.  Should have filled it before I fitted the body.  Ooops.

Also don’t forget fill the gearbox then use the car for a short distance to allow the oil to move around into the overdrive and top up again. That’s why I have the grommet.

Mike Redrose Group 

Edited by brenda
11 hours ago, Jase said:

Have your tried some washing liquid and a rubber mallet?

I have yes.  When I get a start and move along the seal comes back out behind the tool.  Maybe the borrowed tool isn’t suitable.  It does seem bit bent.  That’s why I’m asking for someone to suggest a tool that definitely works before I order one.

I saw somewhere that the trim should go in before the rubber seal is fitted to the car!  Surely not?

Yes I fit a new rubber and trim to my TR250. They work on most cars with a rubber trim. Fit the windscreen first and then feend the silver trim in with the tool, I use washing up liquid to help.

8 minutes ago, Phil Read said:

Yes I fit a new rubber and trim to my TR250. They work on most cars with a rubber trim. Fit the windscreen first and then feend the silver trim in with the tool, I use washing up liquid to help.

Ok, thanks.  I’ve tried  waterered down washing up liquid but it just won’t fit.  Very frustrating.  The screen is in the car in the rubber seal.  Just need to get the damn trim in…

I have a rubber bung in the left side of my (fibreglass) gearbox cover, and it makes that job fairly easy - wise words from Mike/Brenda about filling, using and then topping up.  I put in 1.7 litres (I have overdrive) at first, but have 2 litres available for the job.

As I have a TR4, I have no idea how to fiil the diff on a 4A.  I fill my diff by removing the left rear wheel and using a somewhat longer tube on the squidgy oil container.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc
32 minutes ago, Steven Whitaker said:

Does the trim I have look correct?

I'm sure mine has a longer protrusion into the rubber, i.e. the vertical bit of the letter T.

Pete

1 hour ago, Steven Whitaker said:

Does the trim I have look correct?

No that’s the wrong shape it’ll never fit. Item 23 with clip 24 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/body-chassis/windscreens-glazing-fittings/windscreen-tr4-4a-1961-67.html

This is what you need below, where did yours come from?

Stuart 

IMG_7457.jpeg

Edited by stuart
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, stuart said:

No that’s the wrong shape it’ll never fit. Item 23 with clip 24 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/body-chassis/windscreens-glazing-fittings/windscreen-tr4-4a-1961-67.html

This is what you need below, where did yours come from?

Stuart 

IMG_7457.jpeg

Thanks Stuart.  I got it from MT Classics along with the screen and the rubber.  MT have offered to replace it if wrong.  So does the trim end up proud of the rubber seal, or sit within, and the edges of the trim are covered by the rubber seal?  Is.  Does the trim sit inside the rubber seal groove completely or does it sit on top as it were?  TIA.

Edited by Steven Whitaker
6 minutes ago, Steven Whitaker said:

Thanks Stuart.  I got it from MT Classics along with the screen and the rubber.  So does the trim end up proud of the rubber seal, or sit within, and the edges of the trim are covered by the rubber seal?  Is.  Does the trim sit inside the rubber seal groove completely or does it sit on top as it were?  TIA.

It sits on top of the rubber when fitted as the tail with the bulb should fit into the shaped groove in the rubber, that’s always supposing you have the correct shaped rubber, I only ever fit the Moss ones as the others don’t fit properly 

Stuart.

IMG_7458.jpeg

I have found it helps to put the coil of trim in a bucket of hot water. Put some washing up liquid on your finger and rub it along the rubber. Then with trim warmed up it should fit easily.

Keith

p.s. assuming you have correct trim!

2 minutes ago, stuart said:

It sits on top of the rubber when fitted as the tail with the bulb should fit into the shaped groove in the rubber, that’s always supposing you have the correct shaped rubber, I only ever fit the Moss ones as the others don’t fit properly 

Stuart.

IMG_7458.jpeg

Argh ok, thanks.  I hope I don’t need to remove the screen to fit a new rubber..

22 minutes ago, Steven Whitaker said:

Argh ok, thanks.  I hope I don’t need to remove the screen to fit a new rubber..

If the trim wont fit because the rubber is wrong then you may as well just take a Stanley knife to the rubber as thats the quickest way to get them out, when re-fitting put the rubber round the glass and then warm the trim up in a bucket of hot water and fit it into the rubber then it the whole lot to the car. Dont trim off the excess of the finisher until its settled for a week or so. then trim and fit the clip.

Stuart.

So, I got a new chrome finisher from Moss, and guess what, it doesn't fit into the existing rubber seal....  I could throw it in from next door but it wont stay in the groove!!

So, I've now ordered a new rubber seal from Moss..

Any tips on how to cut out the old rubber seal to get the screen back out are appreciated.

Grrrr.

22 minutes ago, Steven Whitaker said:

So, I got a new chrome finisher from Moss, and guess what, it doesn't fit into the existing rubber seal....  I could throw it in from next door but it wont stay in the groove!!

So, I've now ordered a new rubber seal from Moss..

Any tips on how to cut out the old rubber seal to get the screen back out are appreciated.

Grrrr.

Stanley knife is favourite and the quickest, go in the groove where you thought the trim would go with handle angled towards the frame so you cut enough of the rubber to get the screen out and then just pull the remnants out after and bin. Give the glass edge a good clean where its been in that rubber and then fit the new rubber round the screen on the bench and then fit the trim in the groove starting centre bottom and fit all the way round and leave the excess poking out at the join, fit your pull in string round the rubber with the ends at the bottom middle and apply a good amount of lube  (Durex "Play" is the best) and then slot the screen into the lower part of the frame and with pressure applied against the screen pull the string round a bit at a time going side to side. Leave to settle for a day or two and only then trim the excess off the finisher and fit the clip. A little drop of super glue under the clip stops it going AWOL whilst screen cleaning in the future.

Stuart.