Sidescreens and tonneau cover.

Although I use my 3A throughout the year, thanks to an early spring here, I have been out with my 3A quite a lot this week with the tonneau cover closed on the passenger side and sidescreens in situ (they will be replaced by the wind wings in a few weeks)

Even after some 54 years of sidescreen cars, I’ve not yet figured out how to reconcile driving with sidescreens and tonneau cover. In my case I just let it hang down unsecured inside the door and hope for the best, which doesn’t stop the drips and doesn’t help the state of the tonneau either.

How do you folks fix the tonneau around the top of the door?

james

I do the same as you. The only other option would be to slit the tonneau to take the sidescreen mounts. 

Edited by Drewmotty

Hi James,

When I fit tonneau with sidescreens I have the passenger side tonneau fitted to the pegs on the scuttle dash top and the 2nd or upper 1/4 panel peg, not the one down by the B post.   Lift the tonneau before you close the door forming a V shaped channel front to rear,  This catches rain that runs to the side and lets it drip out the channel on the 1/4 panel area.

On the half height sidescreens I can do the first method or as I have now fitted pegs secure it to the outside of the sidescreen

There is also the technique known to myself and KW as the ‘Davis Fold’. This gets the tonneau neatly folded and set behind the seats.   It is good for 100 mph without billowing I  am reliably told.

As can be seen my tonneau is a later type with gussets( ooo err Matron) These do allow an easier movement of the seat belt.   The other benefit is that the hood can be up and the tonneau on.  You attach the two centre fasteners at the back of the tonneau to the car after erecting the frame but before fitting the soft top.  John Davis took this trick one further to have a tonneau that fitted under the hard top when no sidescreens are fitted ( horrid things in traffic as the inside of the car becomes a sauna.). John used to drive VYP88 his primrose yellow 3A  all seasons.  The car is still with him but undergoing repairs.  

Here are  photos of my old blue banger and the tonneau fit and fold methods I use.   First 3 are the Davis Fold which works for both full and half tonneau use.

IMG_2534.jpeg

IMG_2535.jpeg

IMG_2537.jpeg

IMG_2538.jpeg

IMG_2539.jpeg

IMG_2540.jpeg

IMG_2541.jpeg

IMG_2542.jpeg

IMG_2543.jpeg

IMG_2544.jpeg

IMG_2546.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
6 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Of course the proper answer is to wear something warmer, & not fit the side screens.

Bob

‘Oods is for poofs….and MG owners

As heard at a London Group meeting, directed at a new owner asking about where to buy a soft top.

12 hours ago, james christie said:

Although I use my 3A throughout the year, thanks to an early spring here, I have been out with my 3A quite a lot this week with the tonneau cover closed on the passenger side and sidescreens in situ (they will be replaced by the wind wings in a few weeks)

Even after some 54 years of sidescreen cars, I’ve not yet figured out how to reconcile driving with sidescreens and tonneau cover. In my case I just let it hang down unsecured inside the door and hope for the best, which doesn’t stop the drips and doesn’t help the state of the tonneau either.

How do you folks fix the tonneau around the top of the door?

james

In the early part of the year when still a bit chilly on a morning I like to run with the sidescreens on and the tonneau over the passenger side, so I just let the tonneau flap hang down inside the door. I find then that with the heater on blowing to the passenger side so as not to cook my leg, the warm air gets drawn up around me on it`s way out of the car and it is really quite cosy.  

The main problem I have with the tonneau is that the open edge where the zip runs flaps quite alarmingly and puts a lot of strain on the centre peg on the dash board. I think TR4s had a strap to the tunnel to stop the flapping and I am thinking of doing something similar.

Ralph

As above. +1 for Peter’s method. 
Keith

Edited by Keith Wigglesworth
12 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Hi James,

When I fit tonneau with sidescreens I have the passenger side tonneau fitted to the pegs on the scuttle dash top and the 2nd or upper 1/4 panel peg, not the one down by the B post.   Lift the tonneau before you close the door forming a V shaped channel front to rear,  This catches rain that runs to the side and lets it drip out the channel on the 1/4 panel area.

On the half height sidescreens I can do the first method or as I have now fitted pegs secure it to the outside of the sidescreen

There is also the technique known to myself and KW as the ‘Davis Fold’. This gets the tonneau neatly folded and set behind the seats.   It is good for 100 mph without billowing I  am reliably told.

As can be seen my tonneau is a later type with gussets( ooo err Matron) These do allow an easier movement of the seat belt.   The other benefit is that the hood can be up and the tonneau on.  You attach the two centre fasteners at the back of the tonneau to the car after erecting the frame but before fitting the soft top.  John Davis took this trick one further to have a tonneau that fitted under the hard top when no sidescreens are fitted ( horrid things in traffic as the inside of the car becomes a sauna.). John used to drive VYP88 his primrose yellow 3A  all seasons.  The car is still with him but undergoing repairs.  

Here are  photos of my old blue banger and the tonneau fit and fold methods I use.   First 3 are the Davis Fold which works for both full and half tonneau use.

IMG_2534.jpeg

IMG_2535.jpeg

IMG_2537.jpeg

IMG_2538.jpeg

IMG_2539.jpeg

IMG_2540.jpeg

IMG_2541.jpeg

IMG_2542.jpeg

IMG_2543.jpeg

IMG_2544.jpeg

IMG_2546.jpeg

Same.

4 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

The main problem I have with the tonneau is that the open edge where the zip runs flaps quite alarmingly and puts a lot of strain on the centre peg on the dash board. I think TR4s had a strap to the tunnel to stop the flapping and I am thinking of doing something similar.

Ralph

No reason that you couldnt fit one to your tonneau, and fit a stud to the tunnel.

Stuart.

Along the same sort of theme, I have made a pair of vinyl clip on side screens that I call my Cissy Flaps. not very pretty but very cheap and effective and actually keep a lot of wind and rain out of the cockpit, very good in cold weather! You can roll them up and chuck them behind the seat.

Clive1336406907_cissyflap.thumb.jpeg.82947d12f35fcd6b8cd4d6c395b63eb8.jpeg