ALL 

This post is going to make me sound a bit of a TWAT - I have been involved in maintaining and rebuilding TRs x1 6 x2 4's ,x1 5 my latest project was intended to be my own personal car SOS for a close friend and TR 4 owner having manage cancer treatment and mother dementia and death and many promises for her car to be retuned to the road with out progress over the last 10 years 

So in I stepped having procured a brilliant   body shell  the rest would be well within my capability  at this point  i was introduced to one Mathew Lambkin Smith trading  in the Lincoln area  not most convenient local  for me living in the south west but was convenient for transfer of body shell and Matthew seem very knowledgeable on TR's etc he even collected the stripped rolling chassis with a working engine lumpy after 10 years but I did get it started and running in h garage  !!!

so all looked good and we agreed a price for the body to be sprayed and the re attached to the rolling chassis with refurbished axle gearbox and engine to be completed in 6 months this all felt spot on in May/June 2022 completion and summer car SoS surprise plus driving  

well I have just salvage the remains of the project some work has been completed to a good standard - what is left is the body still to be sprayed  and a engine in bits  minus key components carbs - distributor- cam shaft rocker shaft rocker cover sump valves and springs etc etc all part I originally owned - the engine returned has no pistons although I am assured it has been machined   ( why no pistons isn't this a basic task at this point ??!)  so I have to assume these components have not and will not be retuned so are stolen. Additionally the engine number is different to the one I provided so have no idea if this is legitimately  mine ? anybody recognise CT3156E ? or has CT 8820E which would be mine please let me know !!

so do not deal with this character it will not end well obviously there has been no return of monies for incomplete works  - since this all came to a conclusion I now find there is piston heads post from 2020  where Mr Smith did much the same to other TR owners and many parts where put up for auction 

this is really painful    as  I have always enjoyed the trust and support the classic car community works under  and particularly those engaged in the TR Marque 

next step involve legal processes which will again cost additional funds and still no Car SOS completed !! 

need beer and a long hard think 

as I said feel a bi of a TWAT being caught out and scammed by this Rouge trader 

Hi Nono

have a look here    click on the picture.

This what was going on a short while ago.    Read down to the end ( a fair few posts)

It comes over as if MLS is the scum of the earth.  and will not be stopped.

Take him to whatever court will sort him out.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Has his own pinned mention on this forum

sorry duplicate link Roger was quicker with the typing.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi - do you have a name - unfortunately we know all about this rogue as he has ripped off many innocent members  - if you go to the Social Sceme Forum further down the page here, you will see many of his fraudulent exploits highlighted= its a shame you disnt see this before you embarked on trusting him.

Your parts were either spirited away and sold, or sold by the liquidators

So sorry to hear all this but like all these things, it is so important to due due diligence and get good advice

I'm sure so of the sufferers will be able to help you a bit 

Good Luck

Cheers Rich

yep in my opening remark I am a Twat and that increase as I realise all the information is easy to access and find :angry:!!  now to move forward I either but replacement parts for the engine or obtain a another engine and make a good one out of the 2 need to do a cost balance assessment and determine which engine components can be replaced with good  used v's must be new  - oh hmm still remain committed to the relationship with the car it will return to active service  !!! 

To aid your missing pistons issue I am in the middle of renewing pistons and liners for someone.   This was due to the liner to block seal corroding through after 25 years and 20 k miles.     The corrosion attacked both the block and liners.   (This is another story)  

The block has been re=machined but the liners are scrap as they are beyond economic repair.   New liners are £200 set, so my friend decided to fit his spare set of piston and liners.  This leaves a car set of 20 k mile old 86 mm pistons with rings in fully functional condition but without liners.   He had a set of 83 mm liners but the cost to bore them to 86 mm and machine/set their heights was not cheap either.

If you are interested in buying the piston set I will ask the owner for you.  

pm if you want me to do this.

Can you say when this went on as he must still be scamming owners again, where was he located this time exactly?

Stuart.

Are the receivers involved?

If you know your engine number and or can describe accurately any parts that belong to you, they remain your property and the liquidators can't knowingly sell on to pay his creditors.

It might be worth producing a list of what you left at his premises and contacting the receiver.

Update on the piston set.

£50.00 plus postage

That is for the car set of 86 mm + 0.75 mm. pistons with rings, gudgeon pins and circlips.   (+0.030” oversize bore =  wizzed them on the scotch brite pad to reveal a sizing stamp of 0.75 the major o/d matches with that too)

They have not been shortened to get the deck heights adjusted.
You will need to clean them.

IMG_5676.jpeg

IMG_5681.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
3 hours ago, Lebro said:

Oooow   an extra oil control ring !

Bob

Copy of the old Hepolite 4 ring type as used in those days past.  
These were made by United Engineering in Ahmedabad = the first set fitted to an engine with a new Indian crank for Cox & Buckles test purposes in the mid 1980’s.   The engine parts were intended to fit the Standard 2000.

As ever the Indians were playing fast and loose with specifications.  These were supposed to have been standard 86 mm, not an oversize.   They were obviously already into a production swing   
The crank is in fine order and the rear lip seal has not leaked in 20 k  odd miles.

https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/rover/sd1/standard-2000/

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Nonothing,  

I have sent you a Private Message,  a few weeks ago.

I was one of the many previously scammed by MLS,  we tried the Trading Standards,  they were lied to,   we tried the Police for theft and they were also lied to.

Please try again , it should all be on file. 

If you any help in this matter or just a shoulder, please contact me. 

Conrad Hunt. 

sorry to hear he's still walking on two legs...one day I'm sure that will change.

I don't know s great deal about much tbh but IF I can help in anyway let me know.

Edited by Nigel C