Travel the Cornwall August 2024

Hi all,

me and my wife have been 2 times at the Cornwall already, had a great meet with Stuart btw.

This year our idea is to travel there the last week at August and 1st at September and finish with visiting the Goodwood Revival.

Any idea what is very special to visit at the Cornwall is welcome. For example special historcal industrial landmarks...

I know there is a car museum stored and locked near Glendurgan Garden / Falmouth.

Ciao, Marco

It will be good to see you again Marco, just over the hill from me is The lost gardens of Heligan https://www.heligan.com/ and not so far away is the Eden project too https://www.edenproject.com/

Both nice to visit that will keep your wife happy as an alternative to car stuff ;)

Stuart.

Hi Marco,

I think there is a Tin Mining attraction at Geevor near Penzance which could be interesting as part of Cornwalls historic industry. Lands End is also close-by if you have not been before.

…….. Andy

Hi Marco - if you like history/folklore, Tintagel is well worth a visit, and a tin mine to visit is Levant complete with beam engine
Enjoy your trip
Ian

I spent some time in Bodmin Jail that was an experience. 
Cornwall’s treatment of its inmates was an eye opener, as were the crimes that got them there. If you are going to Cornwall who knows you might end up there.

15 minutes ago, Misfit said:

I spent some time in Bodmin Jail that was an experience. 
Cornwall’s treatment of its inmates was an eye opener, as were the crimes that got them there. If you are going to Cornwall who knows you might end up there.

I trust you got "time off" for good behaviour? or did you dig a tunnel out excavated over 6 months accessed by exiting through the cell wall and hidden behind a wall poster of the TR Register International weekend?

14 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

I trust you got "time off" for good behaviour? or did you dig a tunnel out excavated over 6 months accessed by exiting through the cell wall and hidden behind a wall poster of the TR Register International weekend?

Good behaviour!  me no I dressed up as a tourist and just walked out. Although your way I’m guessing would have been far much more exciting, providing it avoided the last 100yrds in a pipe.

Since posting it reminded me how much I loved Cornwall. As a youngster I spent many enjoyable days  in Cornwall, even spent the first day of our Honeymoon there, its amazing beaches, Flambards theme park, St Ives, Looe and Polperro especially Polperro as a child visits to the mini museums, where I could read about the smugglers and see the ingenious way they smuggled the contraband, how they avoided taxes and the authorities. Using lights to encourage ships  to come aground and plunder, if what I’ve heard  is true.  Conjuring up images in the mind. The Cornish people had masses of initiative. Perhaps one of there biggest initiatives was to take the Devon Tavistock Monks invention the Pasty tweet it then brand and market it as the Cornish pasty calling it their own. Much the same with the Devon cream tea just by turning the ingredient up side down. Not to  forget Merlin’s cave and King Arthur his nights and the round table apparently residing in Cornwall. Cleaver people the Cornish, it seems you can’t help but love and repeatedly visit them and their county. :)

Hi all,

thank you all for your answers, some of this places we have been been visited before,

but not the Bodim Jail and the Levant Mine we have been too short. And Stuart is alway worth to visit :)

If anybody has another ideas, this is welcome.

Ciao. Marco 

Hi Marco,

if you want to visit a very excellent beach then I would recommend  Holywell Bay  

https://www.visitcornwall.com/things-to-do/beaches/holywell-bay-beach

Large car park on the access road.  Short walk around impressive sand dunes. It has a pictuesque river/stream running from the moors into the see ( complete with TRout)

The beach has everything

At high tide the little river can also sport a 'bore' at least 6" tall.  I have been there and done that.

https://ntslf.org/about-tides/tidal-river-bores

Drive along the North coast from Newquay to LandsEnd - there is so much to see and do.

Roger

As Roger says, the North Cornwall coast is very picturesque - especially North of Newquay with Padstow (although the town has been taken over by Rick Stein these days) and the nearby Prideaux Place, the Camel Estuary and further North Port Isaac (where Doc Martin is/was filmed), Tintagel, Boscastle and inland from Tintagel near Davidstow there is the Davidstow Moor RAF Memorial Museum - a fantastic little museum run by ex RAF volunteers (http://davidstowmemorialmuseum.co.uk ). Further North again there are fantastic rock formations in the coastal cliffs at Crackington Haven all the way up to Bude where there is a very interesting, and free, museum/display in Bude Castle.

We'll be staying near Crackington again for a week or so in July this year and are planning to go in the Stag and join in with Wadebridge Wheels car show.

Edited by Rod1883
speeling
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks all,

to protect us from driving too much we currently think about a shorter tour

South and south west of London, Ilse of Wright, Bath / Bristol...