Selling a TR4 in Australia to the UK?

Contemplating selling my TR4 in a few months time, and wondering if I would achieve a better price from a UK buyer.

Best for me to provide shipping to the UK, or leave that to a potential buyer?

Comments welcome. 

Hi Melcolm,

give us an idea what makes your TR4 (RHD?) interesting to buy / ship it from Australia to England, please.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

I remember a visit at Handcross at the classic MC trader* at High Street (long time gone).

He offered a very nice BMW R90S much cheaper than it was possible to buy at Germany, where it was produced.

I recommend him to sell it at Germany, long time before the Brexit there was no customs stuff.

edit: *Verralls, still there in the backyard with new owner

Edited by Z320

I’d suggest getting some shipping quotes first - with those in-hand you will be able to quickly figure out if that level of uplift on top of a likely sale price in Australia is worth the effort. I doubt the UK market is particularly buoyant at the moment.

.…….. Andy

Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2024 at 8:44 PM, Z320 said:

Hi Melcolm,

give us an idea what makes your TR4 (RHD?) interesting to buy / ship it from Australia to England, please.

Ciao, Marco

Hi Marco...Not all that interesting....complete nut and bolt restoration...body back to bare metal, 2k custom colour paint job...originally LHD, converted to RHD with burr wallnut dash fascia ...TR4 body on IRS chassis...engine reconditioned, clutch etc balanced, flywheel lightened...line bored camshaft tunnel with new bearings, mild cam... narrow belt converion with thermo fan, alternator, factory fan/pulley deleted and replaced with harmonic balancer  ...J type overdrive with shifter knob switch... diff reconditioned with new crown wheel and pinion and bearings etc...rear of the chassis strengthened...4A exhaust manifold, running single [larger] SS pipe...twin strombergs...TR6 brake pedal box, booster and MC... mostly hidden brake lines...... upgraded electicals with relays etc, some hidden wiring...F/G surrey top...genuine minilite wheels with new tyres...aftermarket steering wheel...new glass.

I am aware that this car is not factory original and therefore may not appeal to all TR purists.

Edited by Malbaby

Are there taxes to pay on importation of a vehicle to UK. I looked into importing a tr4  into Spain ( I have a holiday home ) and it seemed so expensive that I dropped the idea

Regards

1 hour ago, John Mellor said:

looked into importing a tr4  into Spain

Surely if you bought a EU car there are no import taxes?

james

Edited by james christie
  • 1 month later...

Not the case James, got quoted 300+ euros for an old ( 1997 ) BMW 323i plus cost for altering lights to euro spec. Didn't bother to look into a much more valuable TR

Sounds like a nice car but like many cars that have had to much money spent on them for what one can get back but hopefully you find a buyer ,but you do need to let us know what price you think it would sell in OZ so the guys on here can really help /give an opinion.

Nick

A couple of questions for the OP, as we took our Caterham to Oz when we had a 4yr secondment then brought it back to the UK:

1. Was it ever registered in UK and if so is there a UK reg? Asking as if the person who exported it, may have done a V52  (export) certificate.
  2. When it went to Oz it had (unless in 60s/early 70s) had to comply with ADRs (Aussie Design Rules) of roadworthiness which means it should display a badge on the firewall.
  3. Presuming it was on UK plates when exported to Oz, was the plate put on retention/the car SORN'd here?
  4. Has it had all years of Oz MoT's (sorry can't recall the name) which give it prominence? Will help establish a well used vehicle and will be a basis for potentially having no tax bite when it returns.

We almost had an issue as we discovered post returning our car to UK it wasn't properly exported (paperwork) wise. That could have been an issue, if we had not SORN/put our registration on retention.

PS> Stay way the heck away from a company called AutoMarine Shipping, they are NOT someone to go near! Saying so as in 2005 when we brought back 40 Caterham/Westfield cars from USA2005 they held us to ransom with fees after our cars were back landed in England. Can't say anything more.