On 2/26/2024 at 8:10 PM, Belsey said:

And yes Roy I am in Kent and would appreciate your advice.

What area ?

i am near Brands Hatch

No surprise that many folk are encouraging you to have a go yourself, none of it is particularly hard to do - but of course you need to have the confidence to try in the first place and be willing to learn new stuff which usually includes making mistakes along the way (everyone makes mistakes, and they are all fixable!) 

if you really don’t want to do it - which is your prerogative - then the link you provided does include a list of stuff they would do (if applicable to the car) so you have something to enable you to compare quotes from other garages. The long-established small local places are more likely to be able to help and as mentioned earlier someone like TRGB would be able to give you a comparative quote and you can work from there to decide who to use.

if you are in contact with your local Register group or more general Classic Car meets/groups they can probably offer some local recommendations which may help.

good luck whichever way you go :) 

……… Andy

On 2/26/2024 at 7:54 PM, Belsey said:

Thank you all for your helpful advice. The car has done 1500 miles since last years service but as it was included in the buying price and didn't have to pay for it I've no idea what was actually included or what they did. I really would love to have a pop myself but when I say I haven't got a clue I really mean it, I couldn't be less mechanically or engineering minded if I tried, It all goes straight over my head. I really don't have the confidence to even change the oil and I panic in case I will mess it up and makes things worse if I try myself. I fitted a new alternator last year which as you know involved undoing 1 bolt, I was so chuffed with myself you would have thought I had invented the wheel! I would genuinely love to buy the tools and try myself but I'm so clueless I just don't have the confidence or even know where to even start.

Hello Belsey, - a name would be nice? I'm John.

Your key here is to initially get some help of the 'On Hands' variety. As others have said, pretty simple cars really, most

of us here, that do everything from tinker with our Tr's to total rebuilds, (a) wouldn't go near our modern Euro boxes, and we all had to start somewhere with our older steeds.

Find the local TR Register Group Meeting, your profile doesn't show that you are are member, that may or not be the case, they are not always accurate.

That said you can attend a local group for a time or two, even if you have not yet joined, ask around the folk there for help. I would be very disappointed if you didn't get any response - sure you will. 

But don't sell yourself short, presumably you check the oil level on the dipstick? Coolant level in the radiater? fluid levels in the brake and clutch master cylinders? Tyre pressures? if you do then you don't know nothing, and as said before everyone starts with not knowing the business end of a greese gun!

Finally if all this maintainence stuff won't ever be for you, then the local group will surely advise on where to take your TR, and where not to take your TR for servicing, 

and to answer your initial question, Yes nigh on £800 for a TR service would seem a tad on the high side.

Very finally with the milage you have covered since last year, I don't think this is urgent - ask around, approach th elocal TR folk, and report back to us on some outcomes.

John.

As I have already suggested, if you want to seriously learn “how to”, get yourself enrolled on a diy car maintenance course, I’ve just googled this and they are all over the country. Otherwise, continue to shell out.

Mike

ps, a name would be nice.

Hi guys its all well and good saying DIY but some people in the world just can't do mechanical stuff its not in their DNA.

What would be a good idea is if a nice person said " bring it over i will do it for you at cost!"  but it doesn't appear someone will. 

Here in France i have become the go to guy for triumphs. I meet new people etc etc. Providing the work is a service then its a pleasure to do it. Anymore than that its difficult as i have enough on with my restos. 

But advice is free as Kcsun on here knows.

"But advice is free as Kcsun on here knows." :D:D:D

Also the use of "someones" two post lift hehe

Coffee is also good

kc

20 hours ago, elclem1 said:

Hi guys its all well and good saying DIY but some people in the world just can't do mechanical stuff its not in their DNA.

What would be a good idea is if a nice person said " bring it over i will do it for you at cost!"  but it doesn't appear someone will. 

Unfair      see my post

Roy

On 2/28/2024 at 10:39 AM, kcsun said:

I bought a complete set of metric, AF and whit worth spanners from Lidl for under a tenner

420187257_Screenshot2024-02-28at10_33_09.thumb.png.44a05d84c95260f211a432525a36572b.png

all joking aside, do you attend your local club meets, I am sure a couple of members would pop round on a saturday for a demo on a simple TR6 service for a constant supply of bacon butties, coffee and hobnobs

kc

Useful for rounding off nuts and banging in nails :rolleyes::lol:

23 hours ago, roy53 said:

Unfair      see my post

Roy

Sorry Roy I didn't realise you had offered to do the work it didn't say that in your post.