I am sure that I've recently read a number of postings on this subject and the various gasket issues involved.

I"ve tried a search but nothing comes up, probably my fault.

Any links much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Edited by Adam Blackaby
further text
1 hour ago, Adam Blackaby said:

I am sure that I've recently read a number of postings on this subject and the various gasket issues involved.

I"ve tried a search but nothing comes up, probably my fault.

Any links much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Put a straight edge across the underside, the biggest problem Ive found with the cheaper versions is they arent dead flat.

Stuart.

36 minutes ago, Adam Blackaby said:

James,

Knowing you, I suspect that the rocker cover itself came from Revington?

They list a standard gasket but thicker than some of the other sources, 6mm rather than 4-5mm.

Thanks,

Adam

Ha ha no it didnt it came from me though via Revingtons, it was an American AMCO one. FWIW TR Shop also sell the thicker gaskets too.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Have you glued the cork gasket with contact adhesive to the rocker cover?   Then grease the face of the gasket that seal to the head.   Works for me 

Adam, this is the stuff Terry Peddicord (as in Moss USA) &  Dan (TR Workshop) recommended to me many moons ago..  I brought a can home in the late 1980’s, used it, and have now run out.   This thread has reminded me to restock.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204662362010?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201210111314%26meid%3D3dbc4cfb36494061837944363b2599dd%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D134772373719%26itm%3D204662362010%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D4429486%26algv%3DSimplAMLv11WebTrimmedV3MskuWithLambda85KnnRecallV1V2V4ItemNrtInQueryAndCassiniVisualRankerAndBertRecallWithVMEV3CPCAutoWithCassiniEmbRecall%26brand%3DPermatex&_trksid=p4429486.c101195.m1851&itmprp=cksum%3A2046623620103dbc4cfb36494061837944363b2599dd|enc%3AAQAIAAABcHD%2FO%2BVoFoPPIoZ2g0kOZxWd85mWuIHekSp3qag7zFfwObZeQoitzE%2FDCfcejfO%2BzOLmzZmy11RrgWpA56KM9DpasK%2BGtGYwCFvgaK6ijP5AqShEUhT8f2oX6hvndJ3G0oWH8DD1DlBWseQltpxcSDW2Uu52NrseaxeINpsrDP6vx7ny%2BkPKauMa3yeSanWiiol5c%2BuAxuR%2BhqgoTEGIlZDWKvGF1BrBu6Jchz0%2BEdpAcaC1WUZOSqSBLciAcdBm4V4glRgfduIxFt1wbDNb%2FmUmRVf%2BgFnYXHQ2ho9ZsEgL6ZWwSK%2B8GrK5eYtRsLTj9cAJe6sUBzKdYqdf5ciVwar2QyWMdIqnN02AFWxQ9f6Xx3bZnvnIHSg72Krvy58eWt6Xu5iPzdnhv1dwYUQXxkkHQDPBywkWZbIQYW%2BGM2uOjJuIKC0I0pYXDeloLI1nP%2FDoRDuhPcO65c1oP6nHdka6D1uvIHzZKLMm%2BXvX%2B8kk|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A4429486&epid=11017017153&itmmeta=01HQ8YDMKCYZAR96VTVS4JRS0B

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-aviation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant-liquid-16-oz/

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped messing about with the thin, bendy and leaky cast alloy covers a while ago as I had constant trouble and had some billet covers made with viton o ring seals - proper job ! 

This is what I ended up with.

regards

Tony 

IMG_3977.jpeg

I have Tony;s cover on 4VC now.  The filler and fixing nuts have O-ring seals, so the cover is leak-free - one needs to use one of the outlets to connect to a catch tank or dump to the ground.

The cover is symmetrical and top is lower then the standard offering, so will suit any 4-pot TR.

Ian Cornish

17 hours ago, TR4Tony VC said:

I stopped messing about with the thin, bendy and leaky cast alloy covers a while ago as I had constant trouble and had some billet covers made with viton o ring seals - proper job ! 

This is what I ended up with.

regards

Tony 

IMG_3977.jpeg

Similar idea to Darryls new ones milled from a billet. much better idea. are you going to run with those tea strainers?

Stuart.

The only photo I can find amongst the 300 or so that I have here, shows Kastner tuning one of the three cars (3/5/6VC) sent to America in 1964 for the Shell 400 Rally in Canada, but, according to Tony (and I think he is correct) the cars had new LHD bodywork with the alloy external panels added.  The photo (attached) does not show the inner wing indented to increase clearance, but the carburettors don't extend as far.

Tony's photo is of 5VC which is getting nearer completion by the month - but he is very painsataking in this reconstruction of the fourth of the four original Works' TR4s (is there any other Works' team which can boast 100% of the original cars arestill in existence?).  One can tell that it is 5VC because it has the original airhorns, purchased in Italy. fitted front left (as has 4VC, of course) and in the photo.

As I understand it, the Racetorations alloy rocker cover has the filler at one end and the filler and the two securing nuts don't appear to be sealed.  I think this means it might not suit a sidescreen car (clearance beneath bonnet) and might exude fumes. - website doesn't state.  Perhaps someone could inform us ?

Ian Cornish

Kas checking engine on dyno.jpg

Edited by ianc
4 hours ago, david ferry said:

Tony,

That looks lovely!

Which car is that? If 5VC, are there any photos in period with the wheel arch ‘modification’?

David

There are, but undated - the event it’s on ran in 69 to 73 and clearly show the dish in the wing, the Weber’s and an air snood which ran from the cowl.

I know what you’re thinking David, but the answer was no. Very firmly. All I can do is run a blanking panel (which I have) or replace the wheel arch if I want FIA papers, which I don’t and I’m not wrecking an original feature on a genuine car to do so. 

Regards

Tony 

8 minutes ago, ianc said:

The only photo I can find amongst the 300 or so that I have here, shows Kastner tuning one of the three cars (3/5/6VC) sent to America in 1964 for the Shell 400 Rally in Canada, but, according to Tony (and I think he is correct) the cars had new LHD bodywork with the alloy external panels added.  The photo (attached) does not show the inner wing indented to increase clearance, but the carburettors don't extend as far.

Tony's photo is of 5VC which is getting nearer completion by the month - but he is very painsataking in this reconstruction of the fourth of the four original Works' TR4s (is there any other Works' team which can boast 100% of the original cars arestill in existence?).  One can tell that it is 5VC because it has the original airhorns, purchased in Italy. fitted front left (as has 4VC, of course) and in the photo.

As I understand it, the Racetorations alloy rocker cover has the filler at one end and the filler and the two securing nuts don't appear to be sealed.  I think this means it might not suit a sidescreen car (clearance beneath bonnet) and might exude fumes. - website doesn't state.  Perhaps someone could inform us ?

Ian Cornish

Kas checking engine on dyno.jpg

And I believe that this picture is of 3VC, which ran a servo. Neither 5VC or 6VC did so apparently. 

5 hours ago, stuart said:

Similar idea to Darryls new ones milled from a billet. much better idea. are you going to run with those tea strainers?

Stuart.

Oil breather tank? Yes they can be used with one - as on BST82B. Fittings either side are AN10, threaded into the cover and interchangeable for whatever is needed - lots of variants of hose ends available. They fittings screw in from the outside, so can’t fall into the rocker gear and munch up the pushrods etc.

14 hours ago, TR4Tony VC said:

Oil breather tank? Yes they can be used with one - as on BST82B. Fittings either side are AN10, threaded into the cover and interchangeable for whatever is needed - lots of variants of hose ends available. They fittings screw in from the outside, so can’t fall into the rocker gear and munch up the pushrods etc.

No I meant the tea strainers on the Webers. But is there a baffle for the inside of those breather connections?

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

The mesh covers on the ram pipes are just there to stop ingress of bits when it’s parked really - I’ll run with socks on the trumpets when on the road - the tea strainers are more a racing thing and I don’t think effective enough for rallying, particularly in dry conditions.

Air breather filtration is inside the catch tank - the whole idea is to clear the top and bottom end of pressure as efficiently as possibly. This also means not having too big a hose and outlet, otherwise the oil settles in the pipe whereas I want it to push along and into the tank. I’m sure others prefer bigger hoses particularly on engines that Rev high for long periods of time - what I’ve got running on BST82B seems to work very well and so I’ll use the same on 5VC. 3VC didn’t have any sort of breather system on it but only revved to 6,000 rpm (honest …).

My catch tank has a filter on the inlet end and a settlement plate at the top so that the condensate drops back in. It does mean that I need to empty it periodically, but this was a once a year job when rallying BST82B hard so not an issue as it all needed a clean now and again. 

Regards

Tony 

16 minutes ago, TR4Tony VC said:

The mesh covers on the ram pipes are just there to stop ingress of bits when it’s parked really - I’ll run with socks on the trumpets when on the road - the tea strainers are more a racing thing and I don’t think effective enough for rallying, particularly in dry conditions.

Air breather filtration is inside the catch tank - the whole idea is to clear the top and bottom end of pressure as efficiently as possibly. This also means not having too big a hose and outlet, otherwise the oil settles in the pipe whereas I want it to push along and into the tank. I’m sure others prefer bigger hoses particularly on engines that Rev high for long periods of time - what I’ve got running on BST82B seems to work very well and so I’ll use the same on 5VC. 3VC didn’t have any sort of breather system on it but only revved to 6,000 rpm (honest …).

My catch tank has a filter on the inlet end and a settlement plate at the top so that the condensate drops back in. It does mean that I need to empty it periodically, but this was a once a year job when rallying BST82B hard so not an issue as it all needed a clean now and again. 

Regards

Tony 

Im not a fan of socks as they can be a fire risk as you well know with the fire you had before.

I actually meant a baffle inside the rocker cover behind the vent outlets as per original steel covers?

Stuart.

3 hours ago, stuart said:

Im not a fan of socks as they can be a fire risk as you well know with the fire you had before.

I actually meant a baffle inside the rocker cover behind the vent outlets as per original steel covers?

Stuart.

No I’ve chosen not to do this as again anything in the way tends to restrict outflow of vapour and doesn’t help disappeared the pressure in the top end - much less of an issue than the bottom end, but these are made to give as free flow as possible. Not sure I’ve even see an original cover with a baffle ? All I’ve seen is the sprung end of the press in outlet fitting which comes loose and ends up rattling around inside !

Got fed up with oil breathing out of the oil filler cap, dripping on the rocker cover and ultimately dripping down the back of the engine.

The addition of a shaped part inside the oil filler cap has stopped the oil breathing issues.

The modification is a simple internal/external flanged & coned plug fitted with a Loctite coated screw to the cap.

The only hassle was drilling the spring steel insert of the cap.   Done with a masonry drill.

This modification has worked very well.

IMG_2550.jpeg

IMG_2551.jpeg