I have not started the TR for  a few weeks so this afternoon I tried it. I used the choke and the engine fired up at the first touch of the starter button. It was very satisfying to hear it working in the garage without any special preparation. For many years I have had to hand prime the carbs before a cold start. Today was like an original  Triumph in 1958.

The battery was fully charged and the new Regulator was working very well. It was a new one January 24, , from Classic Dynamo & Regulator Conversions,  Lucar connections , 12 volts and 20 amps. This new solid state version is very high quality and is called a ADR 106. It comes in a new container which is just the same as the original but new ,clean and shining black.

Previously I had a small solid state unit inside the original box but  it was 12 volts and 16 Amps. and was not right for the job. The new one is impressive performance and Made in England .

Is there any connection with the improve starting and the new Regulator. I will try again tomorrow. Please post some advice here.

Richard & B

1 minute ago, Richardtr3a said:

Is there any connection with the improve starting and the new Regulator.

Shouldn't think so Richard.  The regulator will affect charging rate but nothing else.  It certainly doesn't affect the fuel system. 

I tried starting this morning and the engine fired up immediately.  :)

I also changed the dynamo on 24 January which I tested by driving round the village for 9 miles. A friend fitted the new dynamo and managed with only taking off the air cleaner. I do not know how he managed to undo the fixings underneath. The ammeter is steady and shows a small charge at first. Next time the roads are dry I will try a longer road test.

How is the starting improved by fitting new electrical parts.???   I wish that this had happened years ago but it is very good now.

I will be trying again early Sunday morning when it is cold and damp. Thanks for any advice.

Richard & B

If all you have changed is the dynamo, & the regulator, then they cannot have any effect on starting, as neither will do anything until engine is running.

Bob

I have asked the friend , who fitted the dynamo , if he altered anything else. After a short discussion he explained that he disconnected the front carb fuel lines .

When he replaced them he must have tightened the bolts more than my original effort. This means that there is no gap to allow air into the system which would account for the fuel pump needing priming after a full night with no use. There was no fuel leak showing

I tried the starter again this morning and using the choke the engine fired up instantly. This is the first time the engine has started so well for a very long time. My friend is coming back next week to fit the overhauled steering column. My local group has a breakfast meet on Saturday and on Sunday I will take off the front panel. I will have to mark up the wiring with different coloured tape so they are reconnected correctly. I remember that it is hard to take off the front panel without scratching the paint.

Any advice please

Richard & B

Masking tape is your friend when removing the front panel.  Plus, when you have the panel off, fix the beading to the wing with small stainless pop rivets, that way you don’t have to struggle to pull them down tight as you bolt up.

Rgds Ian

Hum, not sure about that Ian. Just did this job a couple of weeks ago and I think I would have struggled a bit to insert the front panel if the beading was fixed to the wings.

However I do agree that it is an excellent plan to protect everything with masking tape.

Lifting and then putting back the front panel should be considered a two man job in order to avoid those scratches of the paintwork

james

This is what I did to my TR3 racecar in order to improve and speed up access to things at the front end, particularly at a race circuit.

I'm bound to say is, but the end result looks very good. You'd need to know what you're looking at to see what's been done.

There's two long caphead screws that bolt the upper half to the lower half, from underneath.

It works well.

TR3.jpg.a00aab64cfc3c7ca781930e105042fe9.jpg

6 hours ago, james christie said:

Hum, not sure about that Ian. Just did this job a couple of weeks ago and I think I would have struggled a bit to insert the front panel if the beading was fixed to the wings.

james

I loosen all the bolts along the top of the wing and then push the wings apart slightly.  I don't have a second man to help me put the front shroud back on so it is always a one man job.:wacko:

Rgds Ian

37 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

+3

but the wing bead is a horror show.  Bit like fighting a randy octopus.

Not if it’s been fixed to the inside of the wing. 

Rgds Ian