MAZAK and DeOxC rust remover

Hi Folks,

today I found that BiltHamber's DeOxC rust remover WILL remove MAZAK if left in contact overnight.

I had a switch with a Chromed Mazak body and a steel (rusty) support structure.

It was totally immersed for 24Hrs.  After which, when I looked in the pot it was completely disassembled.

The Steel part had come adrift and the springs and things detached  in the bottom of the pot.

The four little cast lugs that held the Steel structure had gone, disappeared, vanished. Bu99er.

I had just paid £5 for it at Stoneleigh - double Bu99er.

Don't put Mazak in DeOxC

Roger

At the very bottom of the data sheet:

"Certain metals, including zinc, lead, tin, and alloys containing those metals, should not be immersed."

So no Zamak /Mazak, brass, solder or tin-plate.

That ought to be in BIG letters right at the top. 

Jenolite is a better idea for stuff like that I think.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

today I found that BiltHamber's DeOxC rust remover WILL remove MAZAK if left in contact overnight.

I had a switch with a Chromed Mazak body and a steel (rusty) support structure.

It was totally immersed for 24Hrs.  After which, when I looked in the pot it was completely disassembled.

The Steel part had come adrift and the springs and things detached  in the bottom of the pot.

The four little cast lugs that held the Steel structure had gone, disappeared, vanished. Bu99er.

I had just paid £5 for it at Stoneleigh - double Bu99er.

Don't put Mazak in DeOxC

Roger

Hi Roger

I seem to remember I witnessed that you bought 4 switches so you have 3 more to ruin/restore as the case may be. Maybe try WD40 next time? Could you 3D print the Mazak parts?

Keith

One failure is just an incident, no proof in our world Roger, just bad luck; to be sure you could test another switch.

On 2/14/2024 at 8:47 PM, Waldi said:

One failure is just an incident, no proof in our world Roger, just bad luck; to be sure you could test another switch.

Even 2 x may not be conclusive??

'Batch variations' and all that........