Sealing an interference fit

Need some advice (when don't I !) on the best means of sealing an interference fit, that may have to come out from time to time. If you think male into female and then ensuring as air tight a seal as possible.

I'm thinking of some sort of liquid rubberised compound that hardens and forms a coating around the male part, but then allows the male part to be removed.

No sniggering at the back, I'm doing enough of that as I type....

If it is an interference fit then it should not require a sealant.

When removal is require can it be pressed out in one direction or the other?

However should it be a tight push fit then it may require a sealant but how do you keep it where it is needed.

Roger

Thanks both - just had a root around in the workshop and stumbled across the perfect solution.

Heat shrink tubing. I’ve therefore emailed a company called Hilltop products, so will see what they come back with. The bits I have are too thick walled.

The fit will be interference with the final solution !

Cheers

Jonny

The heat shrink goes around the male bit and is shrunk on. It then takes up the very small amount of play to make the male to female connection a snug one.

Jonny

now intrigued as to what the job is. Can you share pictures of the project you have ongoing. ?

12 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

The heat shrink goes around the male bit and is shrunk on. It then takes up the very small amount of play to make the male to female connection a snug one.

If there is play then it is not a interference fit.

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

That sounds like a serious bodge. The heat shrink will last no time

Why not use something like JBWeld ar Araldite

Roger

I don't want it permanently fixed, otherwise araldite etc would be spot on. It's a low stressed, non mechanical item, just needs a tiny amount of slack taken up.

Anyway - I'll leave it there.

Hi Jonny,

I suggest that one of the Loctite products, as already mentioned, would be the best solution. Going back to basic engineering there can be an interference fit, which will always require pressing in or a transition fit, which, depending on the actual sizes, can range between a light interference fit to a hand push fit. Perhaps you have the latter or an interference fit where the mating parts aren't round.  

Good luck!

Denis

Edited by DenisMc

I've used red on a bolt that kept loosening on my bike, I used red as I don't need to remove it again. Works brilliantly though. 

Gareth