Front side lamp lenses

I need to replace both front side lamp lenses on my 4A. It is unlikely that any original Lucas items are to be had so can anyone recommend a source of decent reproductions please?

Tim

1 hour ago, tim hunt said:

I need to replace both front side lamp lenses on my 4A. It is unlikely that any original Lucas items are to be had so can anyone recommend a source of decent reproductions please?

Tim

Tim - a bit cheaper but not "Lucas" whatever that is worth today - there might even be a club discount with Motaclan

https://motaclan.com/product/lensrim-side-lamp-tr4-5_510897_1701_0/

or

Might also be worth trying David Manners Triumph - https://www.abingdonmgparts.co.uk/product/side-lens-white%3a--tr4a%2c-tr5%2c-tr6/510897

I think they may also give a club discount

Cheers Rich

Whats wrong with your original ones? I have just replaced a pair on a 250 (Kindly sent to me by Richard Crewe Read) as the rims were rusty, however the lenses just needed cleaning so I pressed the repro lenses out of the new rims and carefully cut the old rims off the originals and then after cleaning up the lenses pressed them into the new rims.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
Just now, stuart said:

Whats wrong with your original ones? I have just replaced a pair on a 250 (Kindly sent to me by Richard Crewe Read) as the rims were rusty, however the lenses just needed cleaning so I pressed the repro lenses out of the new rims and carefully cut the old rims off the originals and then after cleaning up the lenses pressed them into the new rims. Moss repro price currently £10.96 Item 12 here.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/electrical-system/lighting/side-repeater-lamps-tr4-4a-1961-67.html

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart but the original lenses have become very brittle and are breaking up, so your suggestion not an option unfortunately. It's annoying because both my chromed rings are still in perfect shape.

Tim 

42 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Yes, but modern Red box, subtly different from the original Red boxes. I suspect that the current “Lucas” were aware of the bad reputation of the Green boxes.

Graham

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Tim,

I thought the originals were glass - how are they going brittle.

I may have some glass ones here.

Roger

Every day's a school day Roger. Now I think of it my side light assemblies are not original to the car, I replaced both around 30 years ago. Never realised the lenses used to be glass, current ones definitely plastic, so a useful weight saving:P

• 2 months later...

Took a while to get round to this job as only just back from two month break. I went with the David Manners option - £18.22 delivered for a pair with TRR discount. Ordered on 8th March and delivered today (11th).The lenses came complete with chrome rings and fitted very nicely. I notice they were 'Made in Taiwan' according to labels on the packing, Notwithstanding this they are excellent reproductions of the originals, just lacking the raised 'LUCAS' lettering on the bottom part of the lenses.

Tim