Looking for some therapy to counteract the wind (55 knots on Saturday) and rain in these parts, I finally got round to trying to fit my my 3A with the Revotec fan acquired on this forum some months ago.

I had already ascertained that fitment required a few frontal removal, so I got stuck in - off with the front and out with the radiator. No big deal if you’re motivated

However, I have the Revington R&P steering setup installed and have found that the lower bracket requires ‘fettling’ to allow it to sit on top of the bottom rad bracket - as in near total removal of the outer legs of the bracket.

I think it’s quite doable, but will obviously weaken the legs of the bracket.

Anybody been here before?

james

Good bit of lateral thinking and an excellent suggestion, Bob! My grateful thanks for making my life a bit simpler. Easily done in my modestly equipped workshop.
I believe that your solution will also aid in coping with the inevitable variants in the distance between top and bottom brackets of TR radiators (which the supplied brackets don’t) not to mention easing the refitting of the problematic screws of the bottom rad brackets.

james

have to say, quite disappointed with my Revotec fan conversion. I removed two Montego fans ( 30 years ago from a scrapyard) as they were starting to squeal on occasions and replaced with two Revotec's. the amount of air they shift is considerably less than the Montego ones :angry: 

I have put a revotec  fan in my tr 3 after years with a repurposed fan from a newer vehicle. The revotec has much reduced air moving abilities. I have also experienced a failure of the revotec controller. The mount is good. My solution for my tr2 when rebuilt will be one of the repurposed fans, an improved home made mount to fit the chassis cross tube, a 22mm switch in the base of the radiator and a relay in the system with overide switch. 
Keith

I have a SPAL VA09-AP8/C-54A  puller mounted on the engine-sided of the radiator on my 4 - it moves plenty of air and the temp drops promptly when the thermostatic switch kicks it into life.

……… Andy

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Nigel,

I have Spal fans for T7Design on my 4 & 4A.  They work a treat.

https://www.t7design.co.uk/cooling/radiator-fans/electric-radiator-fans.html?p=2    pricey but lovely

Roger

Hi Roger

Which model did use use for the 4A; I had the impression Revotec were ok but reading this thread I'm beginning to have my doubts

To reset a balance I have had a Revotech fitted with no mechanical fan since 2013, & with a re-cored rad (no starter handle hole) have had no issues with it.

in summer (hot conditions & stuck in traffic) once the fan kicks in the temperature quickly drops to just below normal.

I think a lot of overheating problems stem from poor circulation due to clogged up waterways in the rad & the block.

Bob

Edited by Lebro
9 hours ago, Lebro said:

To reset a balance I have had a Revotech fitted with no mechanical fan since 2013, & with a re-cored rad (no starter handle hole) have had no issues with it.

in summer (hot conditions & stuck in traffic) once the fan kicks in the temperature quickly drops to just below normal.

I think a lot of overheating problems stem from poor circulation due to clogged up waterways in the rad & the block.

Bob

Again to put some balance here, I totally agree with Bob. As you know I do some serious miles on some pretty challenging routes and I have nothing but praise for the Revotec set up. The revised adjustable top bracket now supplied with each Tr kit is also really useful. This was made, very promptly by Revotec, when I found that the fan could be pulled onto the core unless you were very careful with the original non adjustable bracket. I have no connection with Revotec, it’s just nice to use a good and responsive supplier.

Iain

My apologies - I wasn’t being derogatory about Revotec (I use their controller :) )  but just mentioned the model of electric fan I have in place and am happy with on my daily driver. My rad has tabs welded to it so the fitment is simple.

………. Andy

Not many Montegos in the scrapyards of this man’s country….some might say thank goodness!

Well the Revotec is all fitted up and near operating. Bob’s suggestion for the mod of the bottom bracket should be adopted by the manufacturer, it makes fitting a bundle easier. 
I had heard beforehand of the reliability problem of the Revotec controller so have used the Otter switch in the down pipe which has served me and the Kenlowe the Revotec replaces well for some 25 years.

Tomorrow, I shall back wash and thoroughly rince out the water jacket of the engine block as I was seriously dismayed by the collection of sludge at the bottom of the radiator after only 3 000km. I’m using Ethylene Glycol ‘based’ coolant. Any observations?

james

Hi James, Revington used to sell some very serious flushing agent…….might be worth checking out. 
image.png.ba4bf8fecfe38ddc282d1515e2478d42.png
Iain

15 years ago, Paul Hogan arranged for a group of us each to purchase an oversize (deeper) Radtec alloy raiator fitted with a Revotec sucker fan.  The fan mountings were welded to the uprights on the rear sides of the radiator, with simple and secure screw release mechanism, ensuring that the fan sits as close as possible to the core - I don't know whether this was {aul's idea, but it works very well.

The radiator was provided with a boss in the header for a thermostat.  As I  have a thermostat in the metal pipe returning coolant from the bottom of the radiator to the pump, I put another thermostat, with higher setting, in the header as a backup.

I use Evans Waterless Coolant and have found that this arrangement minimises the occasions on which the fan needs to run, and it runs for a shorter period - even in some of the very hat weather we had in the 2023 summer.

My standard radiator, with Kenlowe pusher fan and Evans coolant, used to run for a great many minutes as it struggled to hold the coolant temperature in hot weather, and on some journeys it never seemed to stop, even when holding a constant 50-60 mph.

I am very pleased with my Radtec radiator and Revotec sucker fan.

As I use Evans Waterless coolant, and have a sealed system of my own devising (see TR Action112 or Technicalities B18), I never change ithe coolant.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc