Hi,

I have spent a long time lining up the bonnet my TR3A  and making the Dzus fasteners work easily. I got to a good result on all fronts except the hinges.

The RHS has two studs that fit through the scuttle. The one nearest to the windscreen does not have a lot of the hinge material for a fixing. It has come out after fitting the hinge was finished and the bonnet aligned. So now I need some advice from the TR forum. What is the best way to fix it back in ?  I am thinking that special adhesive would work but I need someone who has had success to recommend the best product. It is a small hole and only a limited contact with the stud.

Please advise me on a quality glue that will retain the stud after it has been tightened and the bonnet is working. It began to get cold at 3.30 so I am back on the laptop.

Thanks Richard & B

Hi Richard,

if you have 1 or 2 threads holding it in then most of the Loctite 'stud' locks will work.

If there are no threads then try JBWeld.  It sets hard and should not easily pull out. 

Clean the hole of any oily fluids/dirt  but do not remove any roughness left by the pulled threads

Roger

On 11/25/2023 at 3:44 PM, Richardtr3a said:

Hi,

I have spent a long time lining up the bonnet my TR3A  and making the Dzus fasteners work easily. I got to a good result on all fronts except the hinges.

The RHS has two studs that fit through the scuttle. The one nearest to the windscreen does not have a lot of the hinge material for a fixing. It has come out after fitting the hinge was finished and the bonnet aligned. So now I need some advice from the TR forum. What is the best way to fix it back in ?  I am thinking that special adhesive would work but I need someone who has had success to recommend the best product. It is a small hole and only a limited contact with the stud.

Please advise me on a quality glue that will retain the stud after it has been tightened and the bonnet is working. It began to get cold at 3.30 so I am back on the laptop.

Thanks Richard & B

Is this RH hinge when sitting in car looking forward?

I think i know where a NOS genuine Triumph packaged RH bonnet hinge is.   Will ask the owner and let you know.

Peter W

Hi Peter,

Yes it is that one and I am interested in a new one. This afternoon I tried a new bolt with the head cut off and it did manage to find a way of staying in position although only 50% of the thread is still sharp in the hinge part. I also found some Loctite in my indoor cupboard. It is a two pack glue and very difficult to make the hardener move out of the syringe. I managed a small supply and mixed it all together. The instructions say that I only have 30 seconds to fit the parts together. 

So there is some Sunday excitement in the kitchen and I will check the hinge tomorrow morning so see if it has any strength.

If you can find a NOS hinge then I am interested.

Thanks Richard & B

17 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

Hi Peter,

Yes it is that one and I am interested in a new one. This afternoon I tried a new bolt with the head cut off and it did manage to find a way of staying in position although only 50% of the thread is still sharp in the hinge part. I also found some Loctite in my indoor cupboard. It is a two pack glue and very difficult to make the hardener move out of the syringe. I managed a small supply and mixed it all together. The instructions say that I only have 30 seconds to fit the parts together. 

So there is some Sunday excitement in the kitchen and I will check the hinge tomorrow morning so see if it has any strength.

If you can find a NOS hinge then I am interested.

Thanks Richard & B

I will ring the man this week.

Peter W

On 11/25/2023 at 4:05 PM, david ferry said:

Standard ones are very poor quality.

Buy one of these, or a pair and replace both.

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/650021hqk/name/bonnet-hinge-tr3-3b-chrome-plated-pr-high-quality

Wow they are expensive, eye watering!

Selling on behalf of a friend.

He has a new old stock in sealed StanPart package a RH chrome bonnet hinge.

Photo is not very exciting and he says he does not want the package opened unless there  is a serious purchaser.   They need to place a refundable deposit to get the package opened.   The deposit is refundable if the chrome is not as original.

selling price.

£50.00 plus postage.   The hinge is with me in Pinner.  If the buyer wishes to collect.

IMG_5389.jpeg