Thoroughly Unchuffed - Spares Day

On 11/10/2023 at 9:18 AM, RogerH said:

If people held back from going for a year or two then the prices may adjust themselves.

Car parking at other events at the NEC are very much cheaper  (re - Caravan Expo etc)  

The organisers know that we stupid car owners expect to be ripped off and they go for it wholesale.

Roger

I believe the council gets the car parking fees, the organisers have the gate price. I was shocked to see £18 to park, that is disgusting !

On 11/10/2023 at 4:01 PM, harlequin said:

I completely agree Dave, it's a good show but the cost is way to high. We went along to the Caravan and Motorhome show which is a very similar format to the Classic Car Show at a fraction of the price, as you say "blatant profiteering! "

Unfortunately it's beginning to creep into car shows as well, one of the bigger shows here in  Cambridgeshire started to charge entrants to show their cars this summer, which resulted in a very poor turnout and those who did go said they wouldn't bother next year.

George 

Reference the caravan and motorhome show, don't forget that  the exhibitors are all traders who pay to be there and much larger businesses, at the Classic car show, car clubs do not pay to exhibit only the traders who are much smaller businesses and fewer of them, so the revenue is much higher at that show due to this and the visitor numbers are much higher adding to it and parking, ticket prices etc., can be subsidised accordingly.

Edited by Operations Manager

Seven or eight years ago I went by train from Euston to the NEC car show for £15 return.

Free travel to Euston.

The train does make it a long day though

The economical way is toi go by car with 4+ passengers.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

9 hours ago, Operations Manager said:

Reference the caravan and motorhome show, don't forget that  the exhibitors are all traders who pay to be there and much larger businesses, at the Classic car show, car clubs do not pay to exhibit only the traders who are much smaller businesses and fewer of them, so the revenue is much higher at that show due to this and the visitor numbers are much higher adding to it and parking, ticket prices etc., can be subsidised accordingly.

It's not just the Caravan show that can manage to give the customers a reasonable deal. For example my wife has just booked to go to the NEC for the Creative Art Exhibition in March for a total price of £38 that includes being picked up by coach. I belive the entrance fee is £14

Please don't misunderstand I think its a great show and lots are willing to pay the entrance fee and parking, which is probably what has set the prices. But this formula is beginning to irritate the punters.

George 

On 11/17/2023 at 8:30 AM, harlequin said:

It's not just the Caravan show that can manage to give the customers a reasonable deal. For example my wife has just booked to go to the NEC for the Creative Art Exhibition in March for a total price of £38 that includes being picked up by coach. I belive the entrance fee is £14

Please don't misunderstand I think its a great show and lots are willing to pay the entrance fee and parking, which is probably what has set the prices. But this formula is beginning to irritate the punters.

George 

Fully  understand but again trader pay to exhibit 

Edited by Operations Manager
9 hours ago, Operations Manager said:

trader pay to exhibit 

That is my point for posting about the craft show, a few old biddies selling beads, crochet hooks and balls of wool are hardly multi national corporations yet the entry is £14.

This exhibition is the UK showcase for the classic car industry so yes traders should pay, and I don’t see why some of the bigger clubs don't pay as well as most of them are now run as a business. As an example the MG Owners Culb are practically a car manufacturer! Plus some where the manufacturer is still in business are supported by the factory.

As I posted earlier it's a good show and it's down to the individual as to whether they attend or not, I think what has prompted this thread is unfortunately a lot of the people on the commercial side of the classic car movement appear to have the view that "You have a classic car so you must be wealthy" which if it is right or not is taking the mickey.

George