Honeybourne Surrey Top.

Finally started on preparing my second surrey top for paint.

This one required even more work than the first one I purchased a few years ago.

The backlight is fairly good, but the top has lots of problems.

Anyone contemplating buying one be aware that there is probably at least 10 hours work to make them reasonble.

14 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Finally started on preparing my second surrey top for paint.

This one required even more work than the first one I purchased a few years ago.

The backlight is fairly good, but the top has lots of problems.

Anyone contemplating buying one be aware that there is probably at least 10 hours work to make them reasonble.

They do seem to be getting worse in terms of finish now. Also theyre so much more expensive to the extent that the Revival repros are looking more attractive by the day.

Stuart.

When Drew Pritchard arranged the restoration of the white TR4 in his classic car restoration tv program, I'm sure he fitted a fibreglass surrey top and backlight -  the program showed it being made but it didn't appear to be a Honeybourne one -  as they were doing a lot of work with Revington at the time, do Revingtons have someone making these for them - if not, can anyone confirm who the manufacturer was in the program?

Cheers Rich

9 hours ago, rcreweread said:

When Drew Pritchard arranged the restoration of the white TR4 in his classic car restoration tv program, I'm sure he fitted a fibreglass surrey top and backlight -  the program showed it being made but it didn't appear to be a Honeybourne one -  as they were doing a lot of work with Revington at the time, do Revingtons have someone making these for them - if not, can anyone confirm who the manufacturer was in the program?

Cheers Rich

Ace Fibreglass (Sherborne) Ltd in Dorset.

Tim

Working old aluminium is problematic.

Interested to know about Ace Fibreglass products in Dorset.

The only good thing with F/G is that is easily repairable and will take filler to achieve a good surface.

Edited by Malbaby
10 hours ago, Besalu said:

There's an original aluminum lid for sale on Ebay atm. On auction. starting price 1000. will be interesting to see the final price.

Do you have a link to this please as I cannot find it.

Thanks 

Tim

Thanks Rich.

13 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Working old aluminium is problematic.

Interested to know about Ace Fibreglass products in Dorset.

The only good thing with F/G is that is easily repairable and will take filler to achieve a good surface.

Only if it is very old, of an alloy mix that suffers from age hardening  and if you do not anneal/normalise the alloy before working it.

Roger

• 4 weeks later...

Probably not of much interest......Continuing hardtop preparation... 

Added some length[25mm] with fibreglass to the top outside edges for a better fit [deleting the back trim for an overall paint only look].

Also added about 3mm of filler to the side edges that provides a better fit at the front outside edge, so as to maintain the curve of the screen top. [usually there is a gap]

IMG_1945.JPG

IMG_1946.JPG

IMG_1947.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 11/3/2023 at 9:41 PM, Tim T said:

Ace Fibreglass (Sherborne) Ltd in Dorset.

Tim

Update time - it was this company who made the top in the program, but they are contracted to only supply Revington, so can't do retail sales.

Cheers Rich