TR3a fibreglass panels wanted..? And found

Hi guys

just putting it out there after seeing Chillimans damage. 

does anyone have wings etc in fibreglass that they don’t want. 

have you upgraded to steel ?

Just thinking of the “what if”

pm me. 
thanks

Edited by Hamish
2 hours ago, Hamish said:

Hi guys

pm me. 
thanks

Talk to Phil Tucker, I sold him a full set including doors and bootlid years ago and I dont think he has used them up yet.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart I have PM’d him 

Edited by Hamish
  • 2 weeks later...

Well isn’t this a wonderful forum membership. 

today I have picked up the parts that MJF Martin offered. 
wings and apron. 

he was generous enough to not want payment to himself so we agreed on a donation to a charity close to my heart 

https://rowcrofthospice.org.uk/get-involved/donate/make-a-donation/

thanks Martin I’m sure I’ll have hours of fun bracing and fitting these panels this winter. 

• Hamish changed the title to TR3a fibreglass panels wanted..? And found

If fit those will you have to bolt a steel plate in the passenger footwell to get the car’s weight back to the rules requirement?   Or is there no weight ruling for hill climb and sprinting?   

To be fair they are not light !! But I’ll be adding weight  not least plans for more safety roll bars /door bars 

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

To be fair they are not light !! But I’ll be adding weight  not least plans for more safety roll bars /door bars 

That's a fair observation, I haven't taken receipt of my new wings yet but I suspect they will be little different to the steel, I intend to weigh them all just to compare, I will certainly be adding more weight than removing with the addition of a new role cage. I also intend to keep the heaviest panels of all - the steel doors - I was very impressed with how much of the impact they absorbed which helped me escape with just bruises. My son Tristan who had been on track before me had made the mistake of leaving his mobile in the door panel of the drivers door & on seeing the car recovered to the paddock expected to recover some shattered remains but pulled it out the pocket still working perfectly, there's a lot to be said for the strength of a properly fitted 60yr old steel door.

32 minutes ago, Chilliman said:

That's a fair observation, I haven't taken receipt of my new wings yet but I suspect they will be little different to the steel, I intend to weigh them all just to compare, I will certainly be adding more weight than removing with the addition of a new role cage. I also intend to keep the heaviest panels of all - the steel doors - I was very impressed with how much of the impact they absorbed which helped me escape with just bruises. My son Tristan who had been on track before me had made the mistake of leaving his mobile in the door panel of the drivers door & on seeing the car recovered to the paddock expected to recover some shattered remains but pulled it out the pocket still working perfectly, there's a lot to be said for the strength of a properly fitted 60yr old steel door.

Would  have been even stronger and heavier if it had been a TR5-6 with the post 1974 TR6 NAS doors that had the side intrusion bar fitted.   Part nos 634829. & 634830.   How do I remember those numbers?   Coz we had and sold a lot.   They were cheaper than the UK spec without the crash bars.

As a competition car side bars with the roll cage are a good addition.   Challenge comes when you have to get in or out the car over them.

discussed before

Yes indeed Peter, and something I was discussing last week with Drewmotty after one of our Devon members was T boned in his six last year.  I will be fitting door bars for competition.

I helped repair a competition/rally side-screen car some years ago that had hit a boulder at speed and wiped the front suspension backwards on one side to the bulkhead.   Had the car not got a long side intrusion bar extending to the toe board the occupant on that side may well have had very damaged legs and feet.  Both occupants walked away.

15 hours ago, Hamish said:

TR3 door bar fitting is in progress and will feature in the next issue of In The Garage. 

IMG_0925.jpeg

IMG_0924.jpeg

IMG_0923.jpeg

IMG_0879.jpeg

Edited by Drewmotty
15 hours ago, Chilliman said:

there's a lot to be said for the strength of a properly fitted 60yr old steel door.

Totally agree with that John, when a 4x4 bounced along the side of my 4a at 60mph and I was doing the same in the opposite direction the door took the impact very well plus the fact I always seam weld the "A&B" posts to the sills, nothing moved.

Stuart.

047.JPG

061.JPG

3 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

TR3 door bar fitting is in progress and will feature in the next issue of In The Garage. 

IMG_0925.jpeg

IMG_0924.jpeg

IMG_0923.jpeg

IMG_0879.jpeg

Just what I had in my minds eye

emailed you 

h

On 10/30/2023 at 9:47 AM, Hamish said:

Hi guys

pm me. 
thanks

I have a setof2/3/3A fibreglass wings that have never been fitted. Will have to go soon as giving up workshop. Located Essex. 

Also have a set of 4/4A/5 similar but used. Enquiries welcome