Quick release steering boss for moto lita steering wheel

Has anyone successfully fitted a quick release boss to their TR4a for road use? I have arthritis in my hip and getting in and out of the car is becoming increasingly difficult. I thought a removable wheel would help alleviate the problem. 

There does seem to be quick release bosses available for modern race cars,  but from what I can see you would have to bolt some kind of adapter to the existing boss and then bolt your wheel to that. Don’t know if the horn would still work, and how close the steering wheel would be to your chest after you had finished. 
Wondered if someone had already done this, and which make they had used.

I would think it would be a good anti theft device too.

2 hours ago, CJA said:

Has anyone successfully fitted a quick release boss to their TR4a for road use? I have arthritis in my hip and getting in and out of the car is becoming increasingly difficult. I thought a removable wheel would help alleviate the problem. 

There does seem to be quick release bosses available for modern race cars,  but from what I can see you would have to bolt some kind of adapter to the existing boss and then bolt your wheel to that. Don’t know if the horn would still work, and how close the steering wheel would be to your chest after you had finished. 
Wondered if someone had already done this, and which make they had used.

I would think it would be a good anti theft device too.

If you remove the wheel of a TR, it is only useful for a thief not knowing how to use a vise-grip... I am sure they are but not much!

Yes it can be done with a Moto Lita wheel o a  TR4 - I have such a fitment on mine & yes the horn still works the same as before.

I fitted mine 20+ years ago primarily as an anti-theft device. I remember I had problems retaining the horn push and needed quite a bit of fettling. I don't think the supplier exists any longer. There are differences in PCD between the wheel manufacturers so make sure it fits.

This one seems quite similar but I have no direct connection or looked at it closely

https://www.bg-racing.co.uk/B-G-Racing-mountney-moto-lita-momo-steering-wheel-quick-release-system?search=BG4924

Jerry

wheel (1).jpg

wheel (2).jpg

wheel (3).jpg

wheel (4).jpg

wheel (5).jpg

wheel (6).jpg

wheel (8).jpg

4 hours ago, jerrytr5 said:

I fitted mine 20+ years ago primarily as an anti-theft device. I remember I had problems retaining the horn push and needed quite a bit of fettling. I don't think the supplier exists any longer. There are differences in PCD between the wheel manufacturers so make sure it fits.

This one seems quite similar but I have no direct connection or looked at it closely

https://www.bg-racing.co.uk/B-G-Racing-mountney-moto-lita-momo-steering-wheel-quick-release-system?search=BG4924

Jerry

wheel (1).jpg

wheel (2).jpg

wheel (3).jpg

wheel (4).jpg

wheel (5).jpg

wheel (6).jpg

wheel (8).jpg

Whats the stalk out to the right hand side Jerry?

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Whats the stalk out to the right hand side Jerry?

Stuart.

Right or left?

O/D & indicator on right side as normal. I moved the wipers & washers to stalks on the left as I could never grow a double jointed wrist to get to the originals on the dash behind the stalks, and crashing in the rain when you can't get to the wipers is never a good look. :P What were they thinking.

Or do you mean the black conduit thing? That's got a control for the stereo on it, as the radio is in the glovebox. I think Sony called it a 'command module' or something and it does look a bit like a Saturn 5 model.

Horn is in the traditional place Peter.

Jerry

3 minutes ago, jerrytr5 said:

Right or left?

O/D & indicator on right side as normal. I moved the wipers & washers to stalks on the left as I could never grow a double jointed wrist to get to the originals on the dash behind the stalks, and crashing in the rain when you can't get to the wipers is never a good look. :P What were they thinking.

Or do you mean the black conduit thing? That's got a control for the stereo on it, as the radio is in the glovebox. I think Sony called it a 'command module' or something and it does look a bit like a Saturn 5 model.

Jerry

Ah yes it was the conduit thing that I was wondering about.

Stuart.

When purchased, my TR2 had adjustable steering column, which meant that the steering wheel was against my chest (I have short legs).

I very soon cut off the adjustable mechanism, and then was able to enjoy the car for 5 years until the floors rotted away.

Ian Cornish

6 hours ago, ianc said:

until the floors rotted away.

That’s when you start pedaling!

I recall an early TR in Aberdeen in the late sixties which had had the floors repaired with a ‘liberated’ Men at Work road sign, which was still apparent on the underside.

james

On 10/19/2023 at 4:52 PM, jerrytr5 said:

Right or left?

Jerry

Sorry for that, should have stated longer at the photos that include the horn earth contact and reread the text.   What I still fail to see is how that contact connects to the orig horn push.  Is it through the two rivets in the wheel boss/head

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT