Square bulkhead holes

G'day Everyone

Hope you can help with identifying some square holes in the bulkhead on my TR3A there are 2 holes each side  with one either side of where the master cylinders sit, so would be gratefull  for any  ideas  you may have, cant see any logical reason for their presance ??

All the best

Steve

bulkhead.thumb.JPG.dbf8c3f4b6951ee48686a36805c8b903.JPG

bulkhead.thumb.JPG.dbf8c3f4b6951ee48686a36805c8b903.jpg.d0622223174b78beda804239ff1cdf90.jpg   1116abb5-ab16-4a12-a268-663f2fc67108.thumb.jpg.fa61d1046bbaeec83c081961e85063c7.jpg  feb6e002-ce4a-45f7-b36c-693895610e8e.thumb.jpg.85076fb94f64fdf050160cd818b3d465.jpg

They are present on my '55 TR3 but serve no purpose, I have put rubber stoppers in them.

They are not present on the offside.   Perhaps something that was used for left hand drive versions ?

Bob

Hi Bob its an odd one  as it looks to be produce by a press piercing tool  and would have added additional cost .. Would they have been to fit a type of servo ???    clutching at  straws here .

cheers

Steve

They are for a spring steel fitting for a self tapping screw although I do not know what would be fitted here. The fuse box and regulator on my TR2 are fitted with these fittings in square holes.

Cheers 

Richard

Some square holes were for the jigs when the bodies were assembled.

Interesting John , I would  have thought they would have used round holes as it would have cheaper and easier to make plus better to seal .However they are in such odd place, either side of the pedal apperture on both sides of the car which is very strange

cheers

Steve

7 hours ago, Nobbysr said:

Interesting John , I would  have thought they would have used round holes as it would have cheaper and easier to make plus better to seal .However they are in such odd place, either side of the pedal apperture on both sides of the car which is very strange

cheers

Steve

I have seen photos of the cars being built in the factory with square pegs in the holes to position the various panels. Some years ago now but they might be somewhere on the net.

Not a great deal of help but there is a picture of a TR on a welding jig at the bottom of this page.
I've mentioned it because it's a picture I've never seen before and may be of interest to show how they were built.

https://www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/standardfactories

Charlie.

11 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Not a great deal of help but there is a picture of a TR on a welding jig at the bottom of this page.
I've mentioned it because it's a picture I've never seen before and may be of interest to show how they were built.

https://www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/standardfactories

Charlie.

Interesting sub assembly in the background 

A front apron with both front wings fitted.

I think  Bobs view makes sense as the holes do fit  a spring captive  nut. I have been speaking to a few people over the months   and it apears that some cars didnt have  square holes in that location, some cars had two on the drivers side and some cars  four ??

Common practice when pressing panels is to carry out pierce and blanking operation first and then use  any  convient holes to locate the piece  for the forming opperation  either way its been interesting seeing the comments

cheers

steve

If you take a screen-shot of the page it is possible to blow the image up quite a bit without loss of quality and you can see much more of the background.

I wonder if this was more of a development part of the works, rather than a production area.

I know health and safety was not so hot in those days, but the sparks flying would not do a lot of good if one hit you in the eye.

Charlie.