Just seen the attached pic on Facebook. It’s on the DVLA database……..is it one of ours. It was taken in Inverness. The TR2 was registered in 1954…not sure about the date of the pic but the car looks to be not very old.

Wish I could find old pics of my car.

Dick.

IMG_0488.png

Looks great very shiny and a bit like the weather here today. 

I was out in my TR2  in Perth and had to put the roof up for the first time in about 2 years.

By the time I got home lights , heater and wipers the battery gave up oh the joys of a dynamo in slow traffic.

Ewan

In the 1950s and early 1960s, it was normal for the garage attendant to fill the car with the amount the customer desired - even as little as a couple of gallons.

Self-service garages came later.

Ian Cornish

2 hours ago, ianc said:

In the 1950s and early 1960s, it was normal for the garage attendant to fill the car with the amount the customer desired - even as little as a couple of gallons.

Self-service garages came later.

Ian Cornish

My weekend job when I was 16 was petrol forecourt attendant at the only station in our village. I don`t suppose it would be allowed now, but once he got to know me the owner gave me the keys and I had to open and close on Saturday and Sunday, note the readings on the pumps at the start and end of the day, and lock the cash away in the safe at night. I took may wages each day from the cash taken and left a note in the safe.  There was certainly no self service at our station, and always had to say "shall I check your oil sir/madam" as I got a bonus for each tin of oil I sold. That would have been in 1970/71.  Simpler times then, probably get mugged today for the cash.

Ralph

3 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

My weekend job when I was 16 was petrol forecourt attendant at the only station in our village. I don`t suppose it would be allowed now, but once he got to know me the owner gave me the keys and I had to open and close on Saturday and Sunday, note the readings on the pumps at the start and end of the day, and lock the cash away in the safe at night. I took may wages each day from the cash taken and left a note in the safe.  There was certainly no self service at our station, and always had to say "shall I check your oil sir/madam" as I got a bonus for each tin of oil I sold. That would have been in 1970/71.  Simpler times then, probably get mugged today for the cash.

Ralph

I did the same job at the same time time but mine was full time during the week through the summer hols. Never trusted to take my own wages out though as it was all done by the firms book keeper (It was a main agents garage)

Stuart.

5 minutes ago, stuart said:

I did the same job at the same time time but mine was full time during the week through the summer hols. Never trusted to take my own wages out though as it was all done by the firms book keeper (It was a main agents garage)

Stuart.

Mine was just the Owner and a mechanic during the week, small Village station with a 2 car workshop attached and a small shop selling things like bulbs, fan belts, spark plugs etc, not a loaf of bread, sandwiches, newspaper in sight. Owner lived about 5 miles away and occasionaly called in to see if I was OK, but otherwise he liked his weekends off.

Ralph

The Tech Ed (Mike) has asked whether anyone has photos like this of early TRs at petrol pumps of the period.

If so, please send to him (address in TR Action),

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, ianc said:

The Tech Ed (Mike) has asked whether anyone has photos like this of early TRs at petrol pumps of the period.

If so, please send to him (address in TR Action),

Ian Cornish

I suggest Mike Jennings gets in touch with Mike Ellis, I have sent Mike a number of early TRs on forecourts, and early ST dealerships
Ian

I copied Mike Jennings' email to Mike Ellis, Bill Piggott and Ian Gibson - let's see if one of them (and others who might read this) manage to unearth.

Ian Cornish