Vacuum gauge in restored dash….worthwhile or what?

Andy,

to me thats the whole point, if the car’s performance becomes suspect , then a good tool to help determine the cause is the vacuum gauge, just as is the ammeter or voltmeter, oil pressure, etc.

I will think hard and sharpen my calving knife before “butchering” my newly veneered dash.:D:P:rolleyes:

All part of the fun of the discussion 

Cheers

Mike

22 hours ago, mleadbeater said:

cant see any override on the wiring diagram, (which is a non-ballast diagram) the pump is fed off the same supply , via the ignition switch, terminal 2, and fuse terminal 1 , as the dizzy.

Im still trying to find a correct wiring diagram for my ‘73  car, does such a thing exist ?

Anyway, car electrics are getting far too complex for me, they’ll be fitting automatic steering and brake application device’s to moderns…oh, they already do !

Rant over, cheers

Mike

Your 1973 car has what I would describe as CR (1973 on) instruments fitted but also separate wiper and washer switches, ( pre 1973)    Is the change to later instruments or earlier twin switches something you have done?    Or is the car Comm no CC78521 to CR1 and a conversion to RHD?    In which case tge wiring loom has been converted rather than replaced.   
Following is wiring diag for the comm nos as stated above.   

image.jpg

Thanks, Peter

only had this car a couple of months.

Im not sure of the history and mods to this car over its 50 year or so. Still finding extra and unconnected wires from previous owners.

Its a mid 73 UK car, half the instruments are black rimmed, speedo and tach are chrome. im making all chrome ones, and need to rewire the voltmeter as  ammeter  removed. Not difficult but Id like to see the correct wiring.

Is there a diagram for later voltmeter cars?

your diagram is equally illegible as both of mine, wire colours particularly .

Is a workshop manual version any better? or is this the source of yours.?

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mleadbeater
1 hour ago, mleadbeater said:

Thanks, Peter

only had this car a couple of months.

Im not sure of the history and mods to this car over its 50 year or so. Still finding extra and unconnected wires from previous owners.

Its a mid 73 UK car, half the instruments are black rimmed, speedo and tach are chrome. im making all chrome ones, and need to rewire the voltmeter as  ammeter  removed. Not difficult but Id like to see the correct wiring.

Is there a diagram for later voltmeter cars?

your diagram is equally illegible as both of mine, wire colours particularly .

Is a workshop manual version any better? or is this the source of yours.?

Cheers

Mike

That wiring diagram is a photo taken of the workshop manual page in Triumph publication part number AKM3646.   It is a white soft covered book covering TR4-6.   It is the book that was produced after the ‘brown bible’, which ceases information for cars built after 1972

1 hour ago, RobH said:

These are about the best around ( but not 100% correct I believe)

http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

Great if you have an US Spec. TR.  with carbs and warning buzzers and error proofing lights.    Sadly missing the quirks of the PI cars, like inertia switch and pump.  

As I said - not 100%.   Try this one then -  

Apologies to the author for not accrediting it  - I can't remember who did it but the link was posted on here a couple of years ago:

"www.flickr.com/photos/34757865@N00/15441465529/in/photostream/lightbox/"

Wiring diagram CR series pic

Edit- found it -  posted by Matt Taylor. 

Edited by RobH
31 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

A bit more useful than just that:

https://www.autospeed.com/cms/a_111456/article.html

Charlie

Thank you Charlie for posting the link.

I hope I am not straying to far off subject but I have a question.

A CP engine will only draw about 12" of vacuum when in good condition, is this due to the cam or is it the injection system that is the cause of the low reading?

George 

Hello George,

Far too technical a question for me, I'm afraid.

I only mentioned the link because I once found the Vac guage readings useful many years ago to sort out some problem or other.

Charlie.

Gents,

brilliant info, the diagrams are very clear, and progress the evolution of the car’s controls and other features.

The vacuum info also fascinating, and certainly should be in any toolkit, particularly where PI is involved. To permanently fit one or not?

….still to decide.

Cheers 

Mike

4 hours ago, harlequin said:

Thank you Charlie for posting the link.

I hope I am not straying to far off subject but I have a question.

A CP engine will only draw about 12" of vacuum when in good condition, is this due to the cam or is it the injection system that is the cause of the low reading?

George 

Mine's 10" Hg,head  modified a bit and fitted with a TR5 cam. I've always thought it was a  cam  characteristic made  possible with the PI system.

My thoughts are the PI system will let the engine idle with less vacuum  than carbs leading to more air/power at the lower end of the RPM range. But it may simply be that Lucas couldn't make a MU that would work over a wider vacuum range back in the day.

9 hours ago, Mike C said:

Mine's 10" Hg,head  modified a bit and fitted with a TR5 cam. I've always thought it was a  cam  characteristic made  possible with the PI system.

My thoughts are the PI system will let the engine idle with less vacuum  than carbs leading to more air/power at the lower end of the RPM range. But it may simply be that Lucas couldn't make a MU that would work over a wider vacuum range back in the day.

Thats a good though  Mike

I get 11" Hg with a CP cam and Strombergs, it ticks over and runs fine but maybe a little down on power on big hills. Which is why I raised the question thinking maybe the cam timing is a fraction out.

George 

• 2 weeks later...

Here are he pics I would have posted last week if I had been at home:

IMG_2611.thumb.jpeg.90757df5d88fd77af64f9a3a9facaa0e.jpeg

The connection is the line on the left (secured to choke cable), the brake servo is the other.  

IMG_2612.thumb.jpeg.9bcf305e7de4b44407b5a16a9ad01c47.jpeg

Hope this helps!

c74

Thanks Charlie. Looks good. For me that is a useful addition to the car's instrumentation . I'll have a look at the installation details when I next visit the car's garage.

I'll sort out a connection to my PI manifold- shouldn't be a problem