Air filter replacement

Hi Clive

Which filters do you have. There are an assortment.

On the Moss WebCat it shows a wire element that can be cleaned with Air Filter spray (brake cleaner)

Is it the K&N filter - clean with their own special cleaner (NOT petrol)

Throw away paper filter.

Roger 

Yep, that's all you can do.

Bob.

Is that thin brass pipe for a vacuum gauge ? If it is for vacuum advance then it's in the wrong place !

Edited by Lebro

If it connects to the distributor, then yes it's a bad thing !

The vacuum advance pipe should connect to a fitting on one or the carburetters. I 

Carb.jpg.c0d1bd63c8aaa10cfb349137c339dc03.jpg

79 in the above picture on the front carburettor.

Bob

Yes that is the one. It should be connected close to the carb butterfly so that it gets closed off by the butterfly when the throttle is shut. The take-off point may have been blanked off on your carb though as otherwise it would leak air into the manifold.  With the take off where it is, there is a high vacuum all the time when the throttle is shut, so the dizzy will be advanced which will affect idling. 

2 hours ago, RobH said:

Yes that is the one. It should be connected close to the carb butterfly so that it gets closed off by the butterfly when the throttle is shut. The take-off point may have been blanked off on your carb though as otherwise it would leak air into the manifold.  With the take off where it is, there is a high vacuum all the time when the throttle is shut, so the dizzy will be advanced which will affect idling. 

So if it is going to the distributor as suggested what damage may have been incurred? 

1 hour ago, Smithfire67 said:

what damage may have been incurred? 

None - it just alters the ignition advance at idle. If you use a timing 'gun'  to set the advance at idle with the pipe connected,  the overall setting when running  will be retarded. 

Edited by RobH
On 9/29/2023 at 10:31 AM, Lebro said:

If it connects to the distributor, then yes it's a bad thing !

The vacuum advance pipe should connect to a fitting on one or the carburetters. I 

Carb.jpg.c0d1bd63c8aaa10cfb349137c339dc03.jpg

79 in the above picture on the front carburettor.

Bob

Just checked where that pipe terminates and yes, it feeds into the distributor.

Are there any diagrams with it in the right place,

As a note, I changed the plugs today and they were quite sooty. Although tick over isn't too bad?

Clive

The vacuum pipe runs along with the fuel pipe around the front of the engine and then dips down under the front carb to connect to this point roughly below the throttle spindle.

fpp.jpg.7e8f261c5a3d566961c41bdac15a0c58.jpg

12 hours ago, RobH said:

The vacuum pipe runs along with the fuel pipe around the front of the engine and then dips down under the front carb to connect to this point roughly below the throttle spindle.

fpp.jpg.7e8f261c5a3d566961c41bdac15a0c58.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Why on earth has it been fed into the distributor?

I get the feeling that if I returminate it to the carb then it'll have a knock on effect on the set up. Equally it can't stay where it is if it's incorrect.

Clive

You have got the wrong end of the stick.

(Actually, the wrong end of the pipe.)

Distributor end stays where it is . Other end goes to the carb.

Charlie.

Edited by Charlie D
29 minutes ago, Smithfire67 said:

I get the feeling that if I returminate it to the carb then it'll have a knock on effect on the set up.

The only thing it might affect is the timing, and not even that if you timed the engine with the vacuum pipe disconnected as you are supposed to. 

The pipe transmits the vacuum at the throttle plate, to the advance module on the distributor.   On low throttle setting / high vacuum when cruising, the dizzy module advances the ignition to give better economy. The throttle disc closes off the vacuum port at idle, when the dizzy does not require it.  An engine will run happily without the vacuum pipe ( provided the take-off point has been blanked) but might use a bit more fuel.

The position on the manifold where your pipe originates is the wrong position as the pipe never gets closed off making the timing too advanced at idle. Also the vacuum will be too high.

Edited by RobH
typo
1 hour ago, RobH said:

The only thing it might affect is the timing, and not even that if you timed the engine with the vacuum pipe disconnected as you are supposed to. 

The pipe transmits the vacuum at the throttle plate, to the advance module on the distributor.   On low throttle setting / high vacuum when cruising, the dizzy module advances the ignition to give better economy. The throttle disc closes off the vacuum port at idle, when the dizzy does not require it.  An engine will run happily without the vacuum pipe ( provided the take-off point has been blanked) but might use a bit more fuel.

The position on the manifold where your pipe originates is the wrong position as the pipe never gets closed off making the timing too advanced at idle. Also the vacuum will be too high.

So not only does it finish in the wrong place, it also starts in the wrong place! 

I think the distributor is a aftermarket item...is there a chance this random engineering is part of a particular set up that is necessary for it to work.....I trying to rationalise here. 

Clive

Not sure what you mean by 'finish in the wrong place'.  The standard TR distributor has a vacuum advance capsule like this. The thin copper pipe leading from it on the left is the vacuum pipe going to the carb.:

dzzy2.jpg.58b93d929ee0b53a712e3f8918ffe605.jpg

Edited by RobH
On 9/28/2023 at 8:34 PM, Smithfire67 said:

Evening 

Will I need to buy a pair of new filters/ housings if I want to merely replace the actual filter element? Are they sealed units or can one remove said element? 70 quid is a bit steep! TR3a with SU H6 carbs

Many thanks

Clive

These cone (K&N Style 56-9327 Classic Mini filter) aftermarket filters work well and at £25 each a huge difference from genuine K&N. some may criticise the none genuine article but on my car it replaces open trumpets so any filtering has to be better than none

IMG_1717[1].JPG