Air filter replacement

Rob, thank you for helping me.

And: there is only "vacuum" and (unplugged) air flow on the pipe from the cab to the vacuum box with the car driving under load.

If you rev the engine up in your workshop on what ever revs you want.....nothing happens al all.

This is why "unplug the (advance) vacuum box for adjustig the ignition" is another fake story.

53 minutes ago, RobH said:

No Peter.

When the butterfly is closed the hole is covered so there is no vacuum in the pipe and in any case there is virtually no flow through the pipe to carrry away condensate even with a vacuum. 

You would have to unplug the pipe from the dizzy occasionally, and run the engine at above idle speed to suck air through the tube and hope it takes any condensate with it . 

Thanks for the explanation 

17 hours ago, Z320 said:

Rob, thank you for helping me.

And: there is only "vacuum" and (unplugged) air flow on the pipe from the cab to the vacuum box with the car driving under load.

If you rev the engine up in your workshop on what ever revs you want.....nothing happens al all.

This is why "unplug the (advance) vacuum box for adjustig the ignition" is another fake story.

Not quite, there is vacuum to the capsule on a closed throttle, as soon as you open the throttle then it destroys the vacuum as the port in the carb is right next to the butterfly edge. So when adjusting the ignition at tickover thats when you should disconnect and plug the line at the capsule.

Stuart. 

2 minutes ago, stuart said:

Not quite, there is vacuum to the capsule on a closed throttle, as soon as you open the throttle then it destroys the vacuum as the port in the carb is right next to the butterfly edge. So when adjusting the ignition at tickover thats when you should disconnect and plug the line at the capsule.

Stuart. 

This is all turning out to be jolly interesting! 

7 hours ago, stuart said:

Stuart. 

If the vacuum unit would cause anything at tick over with the ignition,

what is the sense of disconnecting it, make „a proper“ adjustment of the ignition,

connect it the next moment with all what it changes and drive the car this way?

Why did I never understand this?

Edited by Z320
4 hours ago, Z320 said:

If the vacuum unit would cause anything at tick over with the ignition,

what is the sense of disconnecting it, make „a proper“ adjustment of the ignition,

connect it the next moment with all what it changes and drive the car this way?

Why did I never understand this?

Humour me here……How about….Triumph and Lucas did not talk to each other to correctly specify the distributor advance required for the engine.  They must have done some dynamic tests though surely?   

On the wet liner engine.     The Triumph advice is 4 crank degrees TDC static.  ( should that have been distributor degrees, therefore 8 crank degrees?)    The distributor gives 10 distributor degrees mechanical advance.  (=20 crank degrees)   That leaves us missing another  6 crank degrees to get to the most it should advance for an engine typically.  (Notional 34 degrees at the crank) The vacuum gives an extra 6 distributor degrees, is it?  ( 12 crank degrees).  - At maximum manifold vacuum   Perhaps out factory guidance was wrong to start with?    What I do know is that my TR is less than simple to start with any static advance over 10 degrees.  But that is another concern.  

sadly „I don’t know, but I can imagine“ is the reality on most forums, also here.

I could explain all multiple faults in your „questions“,

but I‘m tiered of explaining and take a brake from this forum.

My advice @all: test what ever you have been told, have a close look, measure and you will see most talk is @&€!!?@

Good bye, Marco 

Edited by Z320
4 hours ago, Z320 said:

sadly „I don’t know, but I can imagine“ is the reality on most forums, also here.

I could explain all multiple faults in your „questions“,

but I‘m tiered of explaining and take a brake from this forum.

My advice @all: test what ever you have been told, have a close look, measure and you will see most talk is @&€!!?@

Good bye, Marco 

I hope Marco comes back at some point....sounded a bit fed up?

Marco is correct and some time ago he made actual measurements (below ) which prove it. There is virtually no vacuum in the advance system at idle when the car is standing.  

I can understand his frustration when  'lore'  is quoted to counter his measured facts.  

mco.jpg.1bda188f6c26e1f9192909186c53d3da.jpg

And here:

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/77987-centrifugal-advance-curve-and-vacuum-advance-on-my-tr4a/&tab=comments#comment-735767

Edited by RobH