'58 TR3A bonnet fixings

This afternoon I was driving  my TR3A back from the local filling station and my bonnet opened on the RHS only. The two bonnet Dzus fixings close in a different way and the LHS locates firmly but the RHS just turns a small amount and did not feel secure . I am looking for advice on how to improve the RHS. There did not seem to be any room for a spring when I looked at home. The sidescreen fixings are different and have a small spring. The main bonnet spring is close to the LHS and helps that Dzus stay in place.

How can I improve the current set up? Is there a supplier who supplies Dzus made in the UK ?  I am worried that the bonnet may open more at speed. Outside straps would be safe but might look a bit 1930's

Please give me some help.

Richard & B

I buy my Dzus items usually through the aircraft spares companies if the usual TR spares suppliers do not list the bits.  

Southco now own Dzus. 
https://southco.com/

Given dimensions try LAS Aero in Exeter.  

The Dzus is a quarter run to lock system.  Are you turning the button enough?   If so are the brackets set at the correct height.  The bonnet rests on the stops and the button pulls up the wire spring in the bracket to self tension.   Are the buttons good or in need of replacing? 

These fasteners are good for 300 mph aircraft cowling attachment. 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Sounds like the bonnet stop may be too high on one side preventing full location of the Dzus cam. Try lowering the stop or putting a spacer under the spring bracket on the inner wing. 
Ben Freer had a problem with his bonnet security. You can read about the incident and the cure in issue 18 of “In the Garage” here:

https://mcusercontent.com/7f4ba299596beb373ea3cf27c/files/68b74ea0-46b6-0e73-8202-fccfc9eda72e/Issue_18_ITG_Sept_2023.pdf

Thanks Christian,

I have that part and the spring is correct. It keeps the bonnet from opening when Dzus are undone. But my fastener on the Right Hand Side will not stay connected. But the one on the Left Hand Side stays closed even when the RHS lets go. 

I need some alteration to keep it closed.

Richard & B

11 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

Ben Freer had a problem with his bonnet security. You can read about the incident and the cure in issue 18 of “In the Garage” here:

https://mcusercontent.com/7f4ba299596beb373ea3cf27c/files/68b74ea0-46b6-0e73-8202-fccfc9eda72e/Issue_18_ITG_Sept_2023.pdf

Yes, Richards, I see your problem.

I just wonder how that could happen to Ben Freer :unsure:

I was out in the garage this morning and it is surprising what you can find. On the lower shelf  In a small plastic bag there were two Dzus bonnet fasteners. :rolleyes: They came from Moss and the label  part no. 552971 dated 02/06/12.  The recess  , where the wire is fitted when the bonnet is closed, is deeper  and sharper than the Dzus on the car now. This would help with holding down the bonnet. The spring in the bracket on the car now looks slightly bent and I am thinking of replacing that at the same time as the fastener. Is there any improvements that I could make to the whole fixing. who would supply a quality new bracket ??

Richard & B

On 9/14/2023 at 7:32 AM, Black Forest TR3A said:

I just wonder why they've fitted this usefull item to the bonnet?

Isn't it enough to secure the bonnet IF the spring has the correct tension?

Bonnet Hook.jpg

Thats just the part i broke today.  Anyone have a spare ?

Roy

I have had a lot of help on bonnet fixings from Rimmers. The Dzus fasteners on each side, fit into a small housing on the inner wing. In this housing is a length of spring wire which Rimmers sell individually. I asked for some help with fitting it into my housing and Rimmers agreed to call me back. A couple of hours later they explained large head rivets and I was not convinced that this was easy in the home garage. They agreed to send me a complete housing at 3.30 pm on Friday afternoon . Royal Mail delivered it today but I was out and I am hoping that there is a package in the plastic box beside the back door. First class service from Rimmers and Royal Mail.

I will fit it asap and check it out at the SDG meeting on Monday evening.

Thanks Richard & B

On 9/14/2023 at 8:36 AM, Black Forest TR3A said:

Yes, Richards, I see your problem.

I just wonder how that could happen to Ben Freer :unsure:

Well I can’t be certain why it happened to me, but on removal of the dezus springs one was worn thin and that was enough for it to rattle loose. The other side? well perhaps it wasn’t turned fully. All I know for sure is that the central hook catch is not sufficient to hold the bonnet down when travelling at 60. The other thing to mention is that having a bonnet flip up whilst travelling on an A-road with Aeroscreens effing well hurts! We were very lucky. I’m not prepared to risk a repeat performance hence the solution Drewmotty has referred to in his link.

Thanks for the reply and I know that you are an expert in this field, and lucky. I am working on my Dzus tomorrow and need advice on how to remove the old unit without damaging the bonnet by using a long lever. 

Please let me know. Your final repair answer definitely works better than the original and I am sure that you feel safe now.

Richard & B