Rear lights….issue !

New to TR3A ownership, and am concerned about rear visibility. My rear side/brake lights are 5/21watt bulbs , but on investigation the side lights are considerably brighter than the brake lights. This means at night the side light completely masks the brake light output. 
This can’t be correct.

iIt would appear the side lights are using the 21watt side of the bulb and the brake lights the 5 watt side.

If this is incorrect and it should be the other way round ie 21watt brake and 5watt side light , do I just swap the wires in the tail light chassis to get to what I think is a more normal position of brighter brake lights than side lights. 
I think LED’s are needed!

Well the wires are certainly crossed somewhere  swapping in the lamps is probably the quickest fix, but I would check the wire colours, to see if the fault is elsewhere. The tail lights (6W) should be fed by the red wire, & the stop lights(21W) by purple with black stripe. The third black wire is earth.

Bob

Edited by Lebro

Hi Rob,

just swap the  wires over.  Given time owners fiddle with things - not always  for the better.

PM Lebro and ask about his rear light modification - it really is very good.

PS - Bob got there before I pressed 'GO'

Roger

Edited by RogerH
1 minute ago, TR Rob said:

Just as I thought, swapped the wires over, sidelights now less bright (5 watt) but the brake lights don’t work at all !

Here are pictures of wiring….nearside

IMG_5104.jpeg

IMG_5105.jpeg

Everything worked perfectly, in that I had bright side lights and dim brake lights.

Swapped over wires to then get dim sidelights and no brake lights.

Swap wires over and everything goes back to dim brake lights and bright side lights …. a bit of a mystery

Wires now look the wrong way round to me, red should be on the left. suspect it's wrong somewhere else.

as for brake lights, are sure the bulb holder contacts are clean & actually pushing onto the bulb ?

Bob

10 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Wires now look the wrong way round to me, red should be on the left. suspect it's wrong somewhere else.

as for brake lights, are sure the bulb holder contacts are clean & actually pushing onto the bulb ?

Bob

Bob, that was a bit embarrassing, over the last few days I had taken both tail lights off and installed new gaskets and soldered the wires to the brass ferrules , previous owner had just trapped wires in ferrules ! So I thought I was improving the electrical continuity….they were also wired the wrong way round, in wiring them the correct way round the brake wires were not making a good contact with the bulb holder, as you suggested gave them a good clean and everything now works correctly 

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

You top photo appears to show a black wire connected to the left side of the bulb (should go to earth) & no purple black wire at all?

That wire looks to be  purple/green Bob, which is correct.  It comes across from the other light cluster.   There is no black earth wire.

It does look as though the wires have been wrongly connected elsewhere - as you say they are now on the wrong sides. It has most likely  been done in the mass of connections down by the horns. It needs sorting out there as the wiring as it is now will light the numberplate lamp with the brakes, since supply for that that is picked off from the red wires. 

Edited by RobH

The LH lamp is missing its earth wire.  That said the lamp base screws may be doing the job of the missing wire.

Notvwiring related.   The lower rear wing beads are upside down.  The flattened bit should be under the tail lamp gasket……or loose a point at concourse.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

FWIW the original fitment of the wires was with the wire through the brass ferrule and then the bare ends bent back on themselves and then the whole thing pushed into the connectors, the ferrules arent bullet connectors as such.

Stuart.

Thanks for all your help, I thought, in taking everything apart replacing old gaskets and removing some black sealant that had been used to repair gaskets, and soldering on the ferrules I would be improving things ! Short term it was not to be, cleaning the contacts even more thoroughly and putting wires back in their rightful places had now got everything working as it should… thanks again.

5 hours ago, RobH said:

Before relaxing Rob, check that the numberplate lamps come on with the sidelights and not with the brakes.  

Hi Rob, checked, and number plate lights come on with the side lights…..thank God ! Realising now how good the wiring is on modern cars !!

On 9/2/2023 at 1:04 PM, Lebro said:

Well the wires are certainly crossed somewhere  swapping in the lamps is probably the quickest fix, but I would check the wire colours, to see if the fault is elsewhere. The tail lights (6W) should be fed by the red wire, & the stop lights(21W) by purple with black stripe. The third black wire is earth.

Bob

Hi Bob, hopefully I have sent you a PM regarding supply of two of your rear LED lights… Robert

Well, wiring issue resolved, it would appear the PO had wired the rear lights incorrectly and after rectifying this and thoroughly cleaning all contacts they are now working perfectly.

Also installed a pair of Bobs (“Lebro”) LED side/brake lights. They are extremely well made and address the bulb orientation problem in the TR3 light cluster admirably . 
Delivery was prompt and I can certainly recommend this bulb set up over others that are available.

I can second the quality and output of Bob's LED's - gives me peace of mind that some numpty won't drive into the back of me and claim my tail/stop lights couldn't be seen - no chance of that with Bob's bulbs!  So impressed I refitted the centre brake light too - just have to fit the original Lucas 525 unit with the Fresnel lens for the ultimate set-up.

See what you think of this.............

TR3 brake lights.jpg

That said…..I know a Sprite owner who fitted them, pushed them in a bit enthusiastically, bent the bulb holder backwards shorting it on the brass contacts.   On testing the lamps the loom in the boot started to smoke.

All fixed now    The Lucas lamp is not  at its best when over 60 years old.

Peter W