Harewood Hillclimb Sunday 27th August

Hi Dave

good day, very mixed weather but most of our runs were between showers. . 
Returning to paddock after 1st practice I noticed flames through the bonnet louvres !!

The flames were on the rear Weber at the carb /manifold join.

no damage luckily and quickly put out without fire extinguishers. Seemed to stem from a fuel leak between carb and manifold- managed to carry out further runs with out incident so I have some investigations on this one - will Suss out float height first. 

but managed a first outright and on handicap With a final run of 72.88 this includes against a tr7V8 3.9L,  tr7 and race spitfire. 

https://www.harewoodhill.com/_files/ugd/882d72_4f78c5dfaa164da6b66e81b00d2f9bce.pdf

i was very pleased with the end result for a first time visit. God knows how I could reach my bogey time  of 70.5.
the last fast blind uphill bend is daunting and I didn’t have the confidence to carry the speed blind,  but many got this approach and the last v tight right to the line - wrong, expensively into Armco on the right. our paddock position was adjacent to the finish and too frequently there was a crunch.

Malcolm Chapman admitted to a very agricultural short cut and had the grass in the suspension of the TR7v8 to give the game away. 
it seems you still get a time at Harewood despite all 4 wheels “way”  off the track .

we had bikes and side cars competing at this event and I did see one bike “fail” for overtaking the one in front 

a challenge too far for the timer.

Great venue videos later in the week I hope

608D2399-E7A4-4E24-96C0-8ED516610C70.jpeg

85053F29-7DF0-4CEF-9B42-4FF38BEB87FF.jpeg

42EDB86D-6C54-45E2-878A-3C23406EFE03.jpeg

D5E70E74-F66C-41E3-999E-777ACE99216F.jpeg

Edited by Hamish

Hamish, 

Thanks for the detailed report and well done on your o/all win. Another 2.38 secs to your bogey does seem a big ask. Would that have been set by Jim Johnson’s TR6? He’s a very long seasoned driver, even older than me with vast experience. Engine build by same guy as does my race engine. 
I’ll be seeing Derek Pywell in the Spitfire at one of our TRLincs events soon to get his thoughts. 
I think I may have raced against Malcolm Chapman in his TR7V8, then with multi coloured panels, in the old TRR race series many years ago. I seem to remember him prefacing every conversation with “..you know what I mean like…”

I’ve only ever spectated at Harewood once, as a fresh faced Student when at College in Leeds in about 1968. Sounds like I should make a return trip. 

I hope you sort out your Weber problem and enjoy the rest of your your season. 

I’m next out at Oulton Park with CSCC Swinging 60s on 23rd Sept. Local to you if you fancy a day out?

Dave McD

Thanks both for your generous words.

as a first visit I can really recommend Harewood. But it’s not simple - and unlike me needs some bottle to attack the very last section. 

Managed to speak with Jim J as he competes in the dedicated Harewood champs. He was struggling with surging throttle/injection issues. 
i don’t think he set my sub class handicap as it’s a round figure. The whole or .5 second times tend to be the calculated times. The random times eg xx.71 etc will be actual best times set by one of our competitors. (I’m in class 2b.

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/uploads/2023/01/10/bogeys-rev1-2023.pdf

yes in chatting to Malcolm he has been racing for a GREAT  number of years inc when the register had a circuit series. I am very chuffed to have beaten him as he’s obviously an experienced campaigner in a grunty  car.

It was good to see Derek in his lovely fairly newly painted car  the colour really suits it.

oulton in September sounds very tempting but I do have some family commitments around then but I’ll try to make an appearance .

as for the flames - very luckily small orange and short lived with just soot as remaining evidence 

I tightened the carbs to manifold and checked all unions before recommencing racing and timely checks after each run. I think a contribution is a lot of sharp direction changes ( especially over the line) which caught a few out, and I suspect a less than optimum float level . Time will tell.

Yet to look at my videos which may help the investigation ?

Edited by Hamish
Link

A great day out for me too. This events lesson was all about brake bias. Seems that having the rear overtake the front under braking is not desirable. Quite how to find 7 seconds to get even close to Hamish is another question.

Jerry

46 minutes ago, jerrytr5 said:

A great day out for me too. This events lesson was all about brake bias. Seems that having the rear overtake the front under braking is not desirable. Quite how to find 7 seconds to get even close to Hamish is another question.

Jerry

Car drives like it's on rails ? you are not going fast enough. No car drives on rails when you get to their limits. This normally means too much rear end influence, the car handles lovely and turns nicely into corners...and is slow as a tram !  understeer is good...cure it with more throttle...that makes you faster.

Oversteer = very bad,and slow, best you can do is hold the throttle and catch the handling. Any more throttle and you are off.

Find the 7 secs = Build in more understeer (gets rid of the rear end oversteer) and then neutralise it with more throttle = going faster especially out of corners, reduces that 7 sec deficit. The biggest advancement will come when you turn into a corner at 70mph and the car understeers and your brain sez...brake you are going to die, and you react by putting more throttle on which overloads the rear tyre patch which reduces the grip at the rear which then reduces the understeer to neutral and you drive through the corner faster and get a great lap time. Do it once and then accelerate your thought process to identify the understeer as it comes in and balance it on the throttle.

Back end overtaking on braking ?, reduce the rear braking effort, the weight transfer pushes maybe 20% of the weight forward reducing the rear tyre patch and the adhesion there.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
1 hour ago, jerrytr5 said:

Jerry

Jerry that’s the beauty of our championship classes and bogey times. 
you won’t need to find 7 seconds just get Closer to your bogey time than me - mine as we are different classes I guess. 
it was a good day and we were lucky with the weather and showers. 

So this is the initial video of the  slooowwww realisation that there was a fire to deal with. 

thankfully small and only residual fuel - rather than fed from a pump !!!

the video of some runs will follow. 

Sometimes the act of opening the bonnet can make it worse with more air, probably your louvres negated that. The Derrigton built 3a I bought about 25 yrs ago had obviously had a similar fire in the rear Weber  but although it had melted the venturi that was the only damaged part and a replacement was all it took to sort.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Sometimes the act of opening the bonnet can make it worse with more air, probably your louvres negated that.

Stuart.

That was my thought process Stuart - yes there was one !!

the visible flames via the louvres was orange and not ferocious and I thought that there was max air under there so couldn’t make it worse opening bonnet.

to be honest the flames were dying down and everyone was reticent to “make a mess” with the extinguisher!!

but I think one of those fire sticks is the order of the day. 
https://www.tr-registershop.co.uk/firesafetystick-10398-p.asp

Mess free safety

Edited by Hamish
Link
On 9/3/2023 at 2:34 PM, Hamish said:

That was my thought process Stuart - yes there was one !!

the visible flames via the louvres was orange and not ferocious and I thought that there was max air under there so couldn’t make it worse opening bonnet.

to be honest the flames were dying down and everyone was reticent to “make a mess” with the extinguisher!!

but I think one of those fire sticks is the order of the day. 

Mess free safety

Here is a place that sells them