• 1 month later...

I see 3 No 5s were offered at Historics Auctioneers on 23rd Sept, none of which sold. Haven’t scrutinised the pics but…. !
Tim

Hi Tim,

During the auction in the live update it stated that the red TR5 sold for a disappointing £32k. I have checked and it didn’t sell as you say. Presumably, the three cars didn’t sell because the reserves were not met. Probably a good thing for those concerned about the market price of their car.

Denis

Edited by DenisMc
Edit
Just now, trchris said:

Are the values of 5s on the decline? seems they don’t command or sell for high money these days

Chris

They still do but they arent in the £40-50k bracket now

Stuart.

It is interesting to note that the 2023 Practical Classics price guide has the price for a Concours/Dealer car at £52500, whereas a Condition 1 car is £39500. These are the prices you would expect to pay after negotiation. Condition 1 means well presented cars with no obvious faults. The guide can be found by searching for Practical Classics Price Guide.

Denis

On 9/25/2023 at 8:14 PM, ntc said:

It’s a reality check and long overdue imho but some fingers are going to get burned you can guarantee that.

Market forces, prices go up and come down, perhaps up again….!  I think that the real investment value in having any of these cars is restoring them, using them, smiles and miles not £sd. I have 2 5s and no regrets.

Tim

I've been keeping a sharp eye on Classic car values over the past 18 months and there is no doubt in my mind values have dropped on most 50's/60's Classics

I struggled to sell my Sunbeam Tiger and was expecting to have to list it via an Auction House or via a dealer, luckily the first person to view it seriously bought it.

Certain 70's/80's Classic (Sporty Fords for one) have seen a rise in value however over the past few years.

Derek Mathewson (Bangers & Cash) as made some valid points in the past regarding the decline of values of 30's/40's cars, due to the lack of demand of people wanting to buy them these days, maybe we will see a similar drop in demand for 50's/60's classic as time moves on and the people who grew up with these cars and lusted after them when they were new get older.

Gary 

This could be interesting as a litmus test for current values ?

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1639939

Tim

Hasn’t this been offered for sale before at a higher price ? or am l getting confused with another but I’m sure this was on sale earlier this year for around the £65000 mark could be wrong but if it was things are changing like l mentioned in a earlier post the 5s aren’t commanding silly prices anymore 

Chris

EFI car so different kettle of fish, probably will make good money though wrong time of year to sell.

Stuart.