Mechanical fuel pump

I recently found that petrol supply to the carbs on my TR3a was very intermettent and decided to fit a replacement. I found and purchased one said to be British made on the site of ANG Clasic Car Parts. I had numerous attempts to fit this but it appearted not to work and a close inspection of the unit was made when I noted that the operating levert was al;most horizontal rather than at about 45 degrees to the flange. This meant that the lever passed below the cam rather than against it! I contacted ANG and they immediately requested that I return the unit to them for a refund  which I did. This was on 2nd August. I have since e-mailed and telephoned them but no refund has been received.

BEWARE

It could be that when you fitted it it is easy to get the operating arm the wrong side of the cam lobe, and then turning over the engine would have forced the lever down and bent or broken it. I have bought lots of stuff from ANG over the years and have had no problem and I am surprised that they have not responded. If you bought it from their Ebay shop then raise a complaint through ebay, that usually  prompts the seller to reply. Pity you did not notice the difference before you fitted the pump.

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Whitaker

Dave - I have a Dave Davies refurbed OE pump spare if you need one = bit more expensive than a repro but you won'y get problems like you have - PM me your contact details and a phone number and we can have a chat.

Cheers Rich

IMG_3398.JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_3399.JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_3400.JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_3401.JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_3402.JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_3403.JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_3404.JPG - Resized.JPG

The operating lever on the original pump is a single casting (as can be seen in Rich's photos) - on the repros it consists of sheets of metal rivetted together (rivet visible in Dave's photo).

I know which I prefer.

Ian Cornish

3 hours ago, ianc said:

The operating lever on the original pump is a single casting (as can be seen in Rich's photos) - on the repros it consists of sheets of metal rivetted together (rivet visible in Dave's photo).

I know which I prefer.

Ian Cornish

Ian - for the sake of correctness, all AC Delco pumps for TR2-TR4 had the cast, copper coated actuating arm - with the advent of the TR4A, AC Delco introduced a laminated arm instead and this is made up of 3 steel parts rivetted together. These original AC laminated arms do not fail, as confirmed to me by Dave Davies.

The problem of laminated arms failing occurs on the repro pumps, which copied this feature rather than the cast arm, and typically they usually consist of only 2 laminations, and poorer quality steel, hence failures occurred.

There is nothing to be concerned about if you have an original AC Delco pump with a laminated arm, honestly!

Both the pumps in Dave's photos are repros so little point in trying to repair them, even if the arms were at the correct angle

Cheers Rich

On 8/20/2023 at 4:44 PM, Z320 said:

In my opinion the „problem pump“ has a

bended down lever.

I agree, seems like a mark on the bottom of the arm where it has been trapped against the block.

Ralph

5 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I agree, seems like a mark on the bottom of the arm where it has been trapped against the block.

Ralph

Probably ffrom being fitted under the camshaft rather than on top.

Rgds Ian