Carburettor cleaning

Am to fit a pair of HS6 carbs from  a 2500 car to my TR250, they haven't been used for many years, I have had them soaking in petrol for about a week and are now reasonably clean. but in the float chambers there is the hardened remains of old fuel deposits which will scrape off, but is there a fluid that will properly dissolve this stuff.

I don't have an electronic shaker machine sadly, was thinking of caustic soda, but it will dissolve aluminium!  Hoping to get a rebuild kit of sorts from Burlin, but haven't had a reply to my mail to them as yet.

+1 for cellulose thinners - I always clean old fuel pump glass bowls with cellulose thinners and also stubborn dark stains on the carbs - works really well but don’t get too high on the fumes- do it outside!

cheers Rich 

Hi,

I recommend you to buy one of this small 20 - 30 Euro ultrasonic cleaners for jewellery from any DIY market.

My rule: if I see the need and can afford the money, I buy it better sooner than later.

That worked at least 15 years for me and is still in use if I don’t want to use my new big cleaner.

Of cause, a hole SU carb does not fit in, but in pieces and the body you have to turn.

edit:

a 2 liter cleaner costs not so much more,

wishing you much success,

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320
On 8/14/2023 at 4:32 AM, stillp said:

I didn't find it to work very well. Cellulose thinners did.

Pete

Hi, Pete--

The problem with commercial niche products like Carb Cleaner and Cellulose Thinner is that they are mixtures of various ingredients, with no specific recipe, so formulas vary from brand to brand (and over time too, I've found).  They both typically contain common solvents like acetone, toluene, and xylene, but minor ingredients can vary widely.  Some minor components are likely just impurities, and not really intentional active ingredients.

So if someone has found a specific brand of either description that works well for a specific task, they should stick with it.  

Ed

Edited by ed_h