Cup holder suggestions?

This is going to sound frivolous, but has anyone come up with an effective cup holder installation that doesn't involve damage to the dash or other original parts of the car?  I do like to have a coffee when I'm out driving and my current method of jamming the cup between the handbrake and the passenger's seat is tempting fate.

Hi KiwiTR6, 

I've looked at doing something that would clip into the front of the H-brace gearlever plinth, trying to squeeze in a cup either side of the handbrake - but its very tight and not really much depth to properly hold a cup.

I think there was one on sale that clipped on to the side of the gearlever plinth such that the cup hangs off into the passenger footwell, but not really ideal for the driver I guess. 

More radically I thought about chopping off the gearlever plinth from the H-brace (so you have an H-brace more like a TR4) giving enough room to put a couple of cup holders just infront of the gearlever. But that's pretty unkind to the original H-brace part, which aren't available (new) anymore. 

So I then got carried away with re-designing the entire H-brace with either a single or double cup holder, but also with a proper 'cubby hole' behind the gearlever to put things in (sunglasses, wallet etc), and also a proper headunit DIN hole (rather than cutting out the original to size which many do). The legs of the H-brace can also be a little tighter to the sides of the gearbox cover (I think the legs can come inwards by 5-10mm, all useful leg/knee room).  

All quite a lot of effort though for a cup of coffee....! But I'm entirely the same, really quite like having a coffee (or anything to drink, water etc) in the car.  

Kind Regards

Toby  

Edited by BaulyCars

How about something that pops out of the glove box ? I’m sure you can 3D print something suitable ! I’m thinking a thin frame with cup cutouts and a support at the bottom that flips down, so it can all be packed away neatly, without taking up too much space in the glove box.

2 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

How about something that pops out of the glove box ? I’m sure you can 3D print something suitable ! I’m thinking a thin frame with cup cutouts and a support at the bottom that flips down, so it can all be packed away neatly, without taking up too much space in the glove box.

Johnny, I don’t have such a printer but would happily volunteer to test if you do! BTW, On my last trip to Texas I forgot to look in auto parts stores though looking here at places like $cama$on don’t seem to have any suitable. I’ll try to remember on next trip as I’m sure there’s something in the ‘states that might be ok…

Edited by Steve-B
2 minutes ago, TR NIALL said:

There are slim units available they are bit like a CD Case you push the front and out pops the Holder.

That’s the sort of thing I was thinking of. 

Steve - my post was aimed at Toby :D

20 minutes ago, TR NIALL said:

There are slim units available they are bit like a CD Case you push the front and out pops the Holder.

Niall, our old Xtrail had those which were great, curious where you found what you’ve mentioned?

Thanks again gents for the multitude of suggestions.  Lots of ideas and variations although I'm not sure I'm up for constructing a centre console as elaborate as the one that Nigel has built :)

However, since making the post I have come up with an idea that should work.  Last night I was again looking for somewhere to relocate my fuel pressure gauge which currently resides in the passenger's footwell.  The similar size of the air vents in the dash took my eye, and being that neither of them is actually plumbed up (the hoses etc are boxed away as it's going to be too much of a challenge to fit and the footwell vent is quite adequate for my needs) I set about removing the drivers side item. 

Whilst doing that I realised that I could readily machine up some parts (I don't have a 3D printer at this stage, but I do have a lathe) to use this opening to support a cup holder.  Just a bit of switchgear to clear, but I'm sure it's doable and that's the path I plan to take. 

As for the pressure gauge, It's going to replace the passengers air vent or course.  It will still be visible there if I need to check and saves me having to extend the cable to fit it on the RH side of the dash. 

I'll post some pics of both at some future date...

16913566359756.jpg

16913566361928.jpg

16913566361507.jpg

This is what I use in my LHD car and it works quite well and It doesn't impede the passenger. The top cup is purpose made in USA and the bottom one I fabricated.

Unfortunately, the top cup isn't made for RHD cars as far as I know.

The negative about the bottom cup is you can't lean the seat forward unless you unbolt bracket....but I never lean forward so it doesn't matter. I imagine the bracket could be adapted into a two piece one that would let seat be lifted forwardthumbnail_IMG_2663-3.jpg.b573b11c9e91789ba48d3a3b08a50c16.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2663-2.jpg.2d121aca59b6aa9d4602a1e2397cd48c.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2663-1.jpg.1610f98a7a040b7aa8c769a54182c66e.jpg

Well my test run on the LH vent is completed and I'm happy with the result.  The process was a little drawn out due to the hole in the metal panel being only fractionally smaller than that in the dash itself, but lessons learnt will be applied to the cup holder mount in due course.  Just waiting for a couple of different collapsible type holders to arrive from AliExpress before I make a start on that one.

16915621206210.jpg