Cylinder head gasket.

Looking for a quality head gasket.

Engine has been bored out to 40 thou, and it appears the cylinders are not perfectly in line...maybe a variation of up to 5 thou.

Would need a gasket that has an internal diameter of the cylinder holes of 77-78mm.

Apart from a solid copper gasket, any sources?

2 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

If the standard bore is 74.7mm and 40 thou is approx 1.016mm shouldn't the 76.7mm gasket be enough?

yes and i thought it was .010", .020" ,060" cuts.

On 8/1/2023 at 8:54 AM, Malbaby said:

Would need a gasket that has an internal diameter of the cylinder holes of 77-78mm.

Racetorations sell 78 mm gaskets which I use on race engine but 78 mm is c. +125 thou so don’t know why you need that. Sit down when you get the price from Daryl. 
40 thou oversize is only 75.7 mm. I’ve always been led to believe standard gasket ok up to + 60 thou.
Dave McD 

Thanks guys....my bore is 75.7mm...the nos gasket that I have is 76.4 and not suitable.

Compounding problems are.... bores are not all exactly in centre line, and the block has been decked so there is now some very minimal piston protrusion...So I will need a thicker gasket anyway.

Yes, Racetorations gasket is pricey. I am currently waiting on a reply as to the thickness of theirs. 

I will check the TR shop....[Their supplier may be the same as Racetorations].

I have now found a couple of sources for custom made composite gaskets [rather than solid copper] here in Australia....Waiting on prices and supply times.

Just completed a rebuild of engine which has .060" oversize bores and as they were at max. at in good condition the machine shop honed them and machined the top of the block. The bores were recessed so new recesses were machined after the block skim. Pistons were not skimmed so when assembled the pistons were flush with the top of the block rather than flush with the top of the recess, and as such needed to pass through the gasket bore when each was at TDC. This meant that the gasket had to be perfectly positioned to avoid the piston nipping the gasket -  ask me how I know! (ruined two gaskets before getting it right). Positioned the gasket and checked with each piston at TDC for interference and then secured the gasket with strategic application of Permatex just above the distributor position as per Roger Williams suggestion in his 'How to restore Triumph TR6' book.

I did look for alternative gaskets but could not find any suitable for recessed blocks and really did'nt want the pistons skimmed.

Anyway is was a bit expensive going up the learning curve but I got their in the end.

Hope it helps.

TonyC

On 8/1/2023 at 8:54 AM, Malbaby said:

Looking for a quality head gasket.

Engine has been bored out to 40 thou, and it appears the cylinders are not perfectly in line...maybe a variation of up to 5 thou.

Is this a flat topped or recessed bore top cylinder block?
Get the wrong gasket and there will be tears.

and yes +0.060”  was the biggest readily available piston I recall from Hepolite.   Big seller to Lotus Climax engine builders.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
11 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Is this a flat topped or recessed bore top cylinder block?
Get the wrong gasket and there will be tears.

and yes +0.060”  was the biggest readily available piston I recall from Hepolite.   Big seller to Lotus Climax engine builders.

Flat top.

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys...

I checked with the TR shop, they did not have what I wanted.

Ordered the "Racetorations" composite gasket last night.

I will post my findings when I trial fit it.

Edited by Malbaby