TR4A Wing side lights

Hi Folks,

had an MOT yesterday and the man found that my sidelights were pulsing with the indicator lights.

The side lights are LED.

Had a quick check this morning and found that if I power the sidelights with a fly lead straight from the battery the pulsing stops.

Could it be that the indicator wire (Green/White) is running along side the Red sidelight power wire  and giving some sort of transformer effect.

I know that Neon bulbs can suffer from this.

Tomorrow - more investigation and a fix.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
Typo
  • RogerH changed the title to TR4A Wing side lights
56 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Could it be that the indicator wire (Green/White) is running along side the Red sidelight power wire  and giving some sort of transformer effect.

Very unlikely - the current required is too high for that (neons only draw microamps).  Are these 'dual-filament' LED bulbs or have you separate ones for indicator and sidelights?  

Some dual LED bulbs use a common set of elements driven either with high current or low current to give the separate brightness. In some bulbs It is possible for current to feed back from the high current side to the low current one. 

dslt.jpg.2eacae276f52f0749d852d29687a3ca7.jpg

There may be enough leakage to power a small LED lamp on the sidelight circuit.

Edited by RobH

My 1st thought was bad earth, but Rogers test of a direct +ve wire from battery to sidelights defeats that possibility.

I presume the sidelight, & indicator are separate (single "filament") bulbs ?

Bob

Edited by Lebro

We used to call that effect "Cross talk" but that was with high power electrics running next to microphone cables. I would say earth problem with the actual body of the lamp unit, or damp getting in.

Stuart.

What voltage are you getting at the side lamp wire with an  incandescent bulb?   Not an high resistive contact in the light sw?

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT