Misfire when accelerating from tickover.

Hi, being new to the Lucas PI system, I am wondering if the tendency of my ‘6 to bog , or miss fire, momentarily when opening the throttle from tickover, is a characteristic of this system, or is there a fix?

all the carb systems I am used to have had an enrichment device, to overcome this by briefly enriching the air/ fuel mixture.

Is there something I am missing? Or do I have to live with this?

cheers,

Mike.

2 minutes ago, mleadbeater said:

Hi, being new to the Lucas PI system, I am wondering if the tendency of my ‘6 to bog , or miss fire, momentarily when opening the throttle from tickover, is a characteristic of this system, or is there a fix?

all the carb systems I am used to have had an enrichment device, to overcome this by briefly enriching the air/ fuel mixture.

Is there something I am missing? Or do I have to live with this?

cheers,

Mike.

Shouldn’t Bog or Miss maybe check that the Throttle Linkage is operating all the Butterflies at the same time.

9 minutes ago, mleadbeater said:

Niall,

thanks, will check, the linkages have been modified, using rose joints and an overhead shaft, they all look to work together.

The timing is set to 9.5 degrees advance at around 900 rpm tickover, could this be wrong and cause the miss?

Mike

I’d be advancing the Timing to about 12degs and try it.

No expert but isn't the MU responsible for enrichment via the diaphragm/vacuum. If its split might this cause the momentary bog down before the injectors catch up?

Andy 

Hi Mike

Fortunately mines refurbed so never had to do it yet. But fro what I understand not too difficult and there will be a post on here somewhere dealing with it..

Easy win would be first to try advancing the timing first to 12 degrees as suggested by Niall before diving in too deeply.

Andy 

As the PI system uses vacuum to set the amount of fuel, its critical to have all the throttle plates (butterfly's) in sync, using an air flow meter can be useful here. Also the valves (tappets) need to be checked and set. This way you should ensure that the vacuum is at the most consistent and not changing with each cylinder. 

Next I would check the ignition, plugs, points and timing. For timing it's best to turn the distributor to the position that the engine idle's fastest, and then on the road check if it pinks when in fourth gear at a lower speed as you accelerate. If it does use the vernier adjustment on the distributor to retard it until it no longer happens. You could then see where your timing degree marks are so you know in future where to set it. 

Gareth

Check the timing try 3o to 32 deg at 4k. Tinker to stop pinking.

There is no facility to for the PI system to enrich on sudden WOT. This is why they need to run relatively rich.

Throttles out of balance tend to be more of an issue at light throttle.

Do you have a dribbling injector? Noticeable accelerating at low revs but less apparat high revs.

+1 for balancing the butterflies. That's really critical for the initial pickup.

I use a Crypton Synchro Check B89, you can find them on ebay. 6e7ae158e0ea.jpg

Gareth

Edited by Mk2 Chopper