Have a group member who has an intermittent fault

Sometimes when he turns the key car is totally dead except the starter still turns 

Looking at things I’m thinking of the positive supply cable and the take off for the cars electrics?

any thoughts?

John

If the starter operates from the key, then power must be getting to the ignition switch.  If it's just the ignition-switched circuits that don't work, the switch must be faulty. 

You could install a small lamp that is wired from the ign.coil “feed” to the lamp inside the cabin to an earth.

This way you can distinguish between the ign. barrel and the rest of the system.

A peep under the ign. lock may reveal a loose contact also.

Waldi

So ignition switch under steering wheel? I have a couple of originals with keys here. But I am not over until august bath and West show. or take the switch out and take the wiring off the back of the switch and where the key normally turns to contact the wires use a flat bladed screwdriver to test operation it could be just poor contact in there I have one of those too. ;) 

Many thanks folks 

The ignition switch is anew replacement just weeks ago 

the old had signs of overheating 

I’ll take a look at the new one and see if there is anything obvious 

John

If the switch is OK and is the the type with spade connectors, I should check that there are no fractured wires. That can happen inside the insulation where the wire bends on leaving the connector and could result from handling while making the switch replacement.