Charles Runyans TR5 for sale in the US

Causing a bit of a stir by all accounts and will probably go for very silly money https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-triumph-tr6-220/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2023-06-07

Stuart.

7 hours ago, TR NIALL said:

In the U.K. at the moment they are mostly priced around the £40/50,000 for good ones and exceptional £50/70,000.

I suspect as its on Bring a Trailer and cars fetch silly money on there it will probably make that high estimate. Also with the rarity value in the US (Theres less than a dozen over there) that will push the price well up.

Stuart.

The car has quite a history, reportedly being wrecked by a friend to whom Charles loaned it for his wedding. After Charles' demise Darryl Uprichard's cousin Andrew bought it from the estate and removed the Carillo rods and Weisco pistons which he then sold off. I don't know what he spent to render it in its current condition but expect he'll recover it. I and others speculate it could reach $100K, especially if the seedier parts of its story don't make it onto the BAT site. Andrew's modified TR3 is on BAT now as well and his cousin had something to do with it.

Where values are concerned, a nice but unremarkable TR6 fetched $74K recently on BAT where the distinguishing factor of its ~ $30K premium over TR6s in comparable condition was it had triple Weber DCOEs seemingly dialed in OK with driving video where it sounded like it should. What these buyers want is TR5 performance and the well earned Weber cachet in a CP spec TR250/6 engine sells where EFI, triple SUs or you name it alternatives don't. Once word spreads that the sleepy US market cars can be transformed via head shave, CP cam and triple Webers for not so much money they'll reach value parity with their so-called peers with their replacement aluminum engines and nowhere near the masculinity (!) of TRs.

Two things.  
48k and 2 days to go makes for a bargain. 
can the Surname in the thread title please be changed to the correct spelling of the previous ownership’s name.    Runyan 

• stuart changed the title to Charles Runyans TR5 for sale in the US
16 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Two things.  
48k and 2 days to go makes for a bargain. 
can the Surname in the thread title please be changed to the correct spelling of the previous ownership’s name.    Runyan 

Done sorry :(

Sold for $61K =£48250

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
17 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Thank you Stuart.   Price sounds like a steal for someone

Thats the general consensus on the site too, though there is speculation it will be flipped at Mecun.

See the seller was Darryls brother.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

The unexpectedly low winning bid makes me wonder if the LUCAS PI was a factor, notwithstanding a valiant push by YankeeTR5 ( whose own TR5 has been languishing for over a decade as he admitted ). 

A triple Webered TR6 in nice but far from concourse condition made $74K on BAT a couple of months ago, without O/D. 

34 minutes ago, Tom Fremont said:

The unexpectedly low winning bid makes me wonder if the LUCAS PI was a factor, notwithstanding a valiant push by YankeeTR5 ( whose own TR5 has been languishing for over a decade as he admitted ). 

A triple Webered TR6 in nice but far from concourse condition made $74K on BAT a couple of months ago, without O/D. 

Yes I saw that and was rather amazed at what it made.

Stuart.

19 hours ago, YankeeTR5 said:

Nor did a PI pump located at a pinch point between the engine/tyranny and frame so in event of an accident or road debris raw fuel is being dumped under the passenger compartment.

The PI Pump is located in the trunk area behind the trim board. What your referring to I presume is the location of the PRV which is fitted in the correct position for a TR5 and was moved subsequently to the pump area on later TR6 see picture of TR5 chassis below

Stuart.

Marks TR5 034.jpg

Edited by stuart
21 hours ago, stuart said:

The PI Pump is located in the trunk area behind the trim board. What your referring to I presume is the location of the PRV which is fitted in the correct position for a TR5 and was moved subsequently to the pump area on later TR6 see picture of TR5 chassis below

Stuart.

Did the location of the PRV on the TR5 prove to be a susceptible to debris, hence why it was moved? 

52 minutes ago, Kenrow said:

Did the location of the PRV on the TR5 prove to be a susceptible to debris, hence why it was moved? 

I dont think so more a case of less corrosion and ease of access.

Stuart.