gear knob with o/d switch

What thread is the knob compared to the TR gearstick.

2/3 use a 7/16 x 32 thread

4 onward use a different thread.   Which is the same as MG

Yes, I use one of those Roy, I just changed the switch to a temp contact make/break to work with the logic box. Very happy with it.

The type i was looking at is as those on the Denis Welch healey site which strangely enough only quotes MGB knobs.

One is 5/16 unf and the other is 7/16 unf

MELS123M

Roy

Edited by roy53

Fitted to Stag also. Not as quick to use as the TR6 finger flick,  as a long movement of the left arm is required off the wheel therefore used less. If you are taking hold of the gear lever you might as well change gear.

Lots available from Stag parts vendors.

Alan 

But that has the switch on the top.

After what Pete W said i was wondering if one of the MGB ones could be re tapped. 

Roy

Desirable to have both hands on the steering wheel as far as possible, so better to employ a logic unit operated by a flick switch mounted on the dashboard or on the side of the steering column, within easy reach of one's fingers.

Ian Cornish

OR..... as I do - a logic box operated by both a remote button that sits under my right thumb on the steering wheel & a momentary switch on the side of the gear knob for the much needed gear change of third overdrive into fourth overdrive when running a 22% unit, the best of all worlds.

27 minutes ago, Chilliman said:

OR..... as I do - a logic box operated by both a remote button that sits under my right thumb on the steering wheel & a momentary switch on the side of the gear knob for the much needed gear change of third overdrive into fourth overdrive when running a 22% unit, the best of all worlds.

Sure it’s Logic/Magic,Enjoy.

IMG_2957.jpeg

The TR setup on the column is better than the Stag/Spitfire/2000 gearknob switch in my experience- no need to take your hand off the wheel.

Modern cars move the whole gearshift to the steering wheel for a reason. Ok the first F1 Ferrari’s did it to get rid of the gear linkage to make the cockpit narrower.

I bought a Bakelite gear knob with passing contact switch on the top.  Yours for the £25 I paid plus postage.  Will need to adjust the thread I think to suit either of the TR gearsticks 

• 1 month later...

Niall has the photo of what i was / am looking for.

It is now how to achieve this ?then wether to use a logic box or just straight wiring as per normal .

35 minutes ago, roy53 said:

Niall has the photo of what i was / am looking for.

It is now how to achieve this ?then wether to use a logic box or just straight wiring as per normal .

Mine came from Racetorations and has a momentary switch fitted there’s also one available from Austin Healy suppliers but has a toggle type switch.

IMG_3385.jpeg

Same as I use. I've got the Austin Healey version & fitted my own momentary switch & have a second (remote) button switch under my thumb position on the steering wheel.

If you are going down the logic route I have a spare logic kit from Roger H.  

I bought it, fitted it. Took it off, put it somewhere safe (lost it) bought another one and fitted that then found the first one.
This kit is for negative earth and has a dimmable warning lamp.

Yours for  £75.00.  

IMG_1816.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT