New Wing - ally or steel?

The standard steel wings on TRs is 18 gauge, it's likely the Alloy wings are 20 gauge, obviously thinner and not only Alloy which doesn't have the crumple resistance of steel but thinner material which crumples easier. No accidents no problems.

Mick Richards

12 hours ago, exint2 said:

Hi I need a new pair of front wings for a 4A - Rimmers have both steel and ally available - which is better - how much drilling and fettling will these wing "blanks" need ?

Or do you guys  have any other sources?

We’ll costs asideI would always try and find good originals even if they require some work 

You would be uniquely fortunate to buy a wing off the shelf and fit it to your car without altering it.

Steal tweaks more easily than ally and there were also some Kevlar ones made, start another post to try and get info on those

What is wrong with your wings?

A name would be nice 

I’m John 

Hi John

I'm Nick - Car being bodily restored - front wings a need fabrication which can't be done economically ( as I'm not doing it) - If I  could do the work then restoring them would be the way to go.

Edited by exint2
more info
12 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

The standard steel wings on TRs is 18 gauge, it's likely the Alloy wings are 20 gauge, obviously thinner and not only Alloy which doesn't have the crumple resistance of steel but thinner material which crumples easier. No accidents no problems.

Mick Richards

Ohh and with thin alloy wings consider liners in the arches as stones flung up inside the wing will pebble dash the panel.   

7 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Ohh and with thin alloy wings consider liners in the arches as stones flung up inside the wing will pebble dash the panel.   

And poke through the softer alloy material and put "dings" into the surface which show up as a small range of mountain tops outside. A heavy layer of underseal of stone chip which absorbs the pebbles and impacts help prevent these impacts from showing through. I'd fit the liners as recommended by Pete and then underseal on those.

Mick Richards 

17 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

And poke through the softer alloy material and put "dings" into the surface which show up as a small range of mountain tops outside. A heavy layer of underseal of stone chip which absorbs the pebbles and impacts help prevent these impacts from showing through. I'd fit the liners as recommended by Pete and then underseal on those.

Mick Richards 

I always stone chip the liners to stop star cracks in the fibreglass.

Stuart.